.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 1st, 2005, 05:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

liga is on a distinguished road
Default Why not a spell like \"poisom arrow\" ?

Is there a spell that works like Flaming arrow but giving your arcer poison arrow ? If yes, which one (I'm sorry but I'm in Denmark for work and I have let my dom2 manual at home in italy) ? If not, why don't make one such spell in the future ? I think nature is not too much powerfull to add a spell like that.

good play
Liga
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:21 AM

Corporal

Tuna is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why not a spell like \"poison arrow\" ?

Actually, that's a damned good idea. Only I would make it water/nature so that a certain air/nature nation with lotsa bows wouldn't get it too easily. Also, would make it much like foul vapors...
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I think its a cool idea, too.

Quote:
so that a certain air/nature nation with lotsa bows wouldn't get it too easily
Man is mostly a mid tier nation, from what I've read here. I don't think this would throw game balance off so badly. Other nation exist with really easy access to cheap arrows. Machaka for example. I'd also say that a poison arrow type spell would have the same problem as fire arrows - once storm and arrow fend are out, its not nearly as big of a threat.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

That is not a bad idea. I would like to see more spells giving a squad of troops enchanced weapons. Examples, that are probably far from balanced:

Code:

Blades of Muspelheim
Enchantment 6
Fire 4
1 gem, 100 fatique
Area of Effect: 3+
Range: 5
Precision: 1
This spell calls forth the flames of Muspelheim to burn the living flesh. Enchanced weapons are considered magical and anyone hit by them will be seared by the magical fire.
The weapons work especially well against enemies suspectible to heat and fire, but don't prevent regenerating enemies from regenerating.

Weapons of those affected give extra 4 armorpiercing damage. Similar spell might exist for Blades of Niefelheim. It could do some more damage as it doesn't work against undead.

Code:

Astral Weapons
Thaumaturgy 5
Astral 3
1 gem, 100 fatique
Area of Effect: 1
Range: 3
Precision: 1
This spell enables mage to enchant weapons of a few soldiers with ethereal power. An ethereal weapon passes through armor and strikes the target's body directly. This spell
does not work on magical or ranged weapons. The use of this spell might attract the attention of beings from other dimensions. Use of this spell in the presence of anyone
with Horror Mark greatly increases the chance of a horror finding its way to this world.

Very powerful ability, hopefully balanced by the low AoE and high research and mage levels needed to cast it. Also, the horror marking part hopefully helps from SCs abusing a lone S3 teleporter.

Code:

Blood of the Innocent
Blood 4
Blood 2, Astral 1
3 slaves, 300 fatique
Area of Effect: 5
Range: 7
Precision: -5
The caster pours the blood of few carefully chosen blood slaves that lived their lives before their capture as innocently as possible. For a few moments before they are
sacrificed, the free will of these slaves is returned, and when their blood is spilt the ancient, pure spirits come to moan for the loss of yet another innocent lives.
Everyone who comes in touch with the spirits' tears will be cursed and marked for Kurgi to take. The spirits mourn over the dead slaves, cursing the nearby soldiers
and making their weapons able to curse others.

A way to curse many units without dozens of mages/Totem Shields/Doom. It would also be useful for Horror Marking lots of enemies, although they should get magic resistance roll. However, the short range, low precision and AoE will probably mean that it will affec the mage, too.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

liga is on a distinguished road

I also think that good combat spell affecting squads (making nomrla units stronger) could really help also in making SC læess powerfull and much more important to configure a good armies!

good play
Liga
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Blades of Muspelheim
Fire-9 blessing?

Quote:
Astral Weapons
Weapons of Sharpness?

Quote:
Blood of the Innocent
This is cool
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Don't know of any way currently to make a spell like poison arrow. But I think it might be possible to mod Breath of the Dragon (does anyone even use it anyway?) to have like 20 effects, instead of just 3. That might be cool.
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Oversway said:
Quote:
Blades of Muspelheim == Fire-9 blessing?
Almost, but that is 8 ap damage. Just added it as an example.

Quote:
Astral Weapons == Weapons of Sharpness?
No. This would mimic the spell Astral Weapon, and would give armor NEGATING, not only piercing. But Weapons of Sharpnes is (I think) the only spell of this kind that already exists.

Quote:
Blood of the Innocent == This is cool
Thank you! I'm not sure how Mictlan with its free Slaves could do with this, but it surely would be interesting.

These are just taken from the list of weapon effects from modding manual, magic items (which use some effects that are not mentioned on modding manual and possibly some hard-coded effects) and some imaginination.

How badly does this scroll for others? using (code) tag seems to kill line chances for me, and even with the corrections this thread scrolls <-> this way (horizontally?).