.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Corporal

Yrkoon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supplies - Sending an army that will not starv

Talking about changing things to fit better gameplay, how about giving the Caelians some form of missile protection. Considering that the wings are made of feathers, an arrow in the wings should not cause damage, right ?

So a caelian is size 3, a human size 2 --> the wings of caelian make up 33% of the caelian, and the body 66%. Would something like "Airshield 30%" or "Airshield 20%" make sense ?

It would protect to some measure against missile, but not at all against AoE spells. It seems sensible to me. What are your views ?
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:11 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

That's like saying that if you cut a dragon's clawtips off with a sword, it won't hurt, because they're just nails.

Every feather starts from flesh and bone, and if the feathers are cut or even just in the wrong order, flying is harder or even impossible. So no, I don't think that'd be a good reason to give them air shield.

I'd be for boosting their stats, though, at least defense. They can fly, and I'd imagine that'd be at least as helpful in battle as being mounted (faster movement, you are/can be higher) - and being mounted gives you +3 defence.
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

Birds do eat a lot for their size(I feed some birds in my garden, and I witnessed a bird eat a handfull of grain, nice for something weighting grams), and they eat mainly grain, which is energy rich.

On the other hand, and apart from iron wielding ones, caelian troops are really crappy. Reducing the logistic problems would be nice, even if their troops would stay under used (did I mention their ultra-crappiness ?).

MA Order of Battle should be tweaked, because apart from sacreds and mammoths, it is like a loooong walk in the Desert of Joy : still nothing in sight worth mentionning.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Corporal

Yrkoon is on a distinguished road

Endoperez, that's why I considered Airshield 30% and 20%.

At 30%, all the arrows in the wings will fail to do damage.
At 20%, some arrow in the wings will do damage (say, they hit the bone structure or something).

And it's not like caelians are uber units anyway. Even some airshield wouldn't make them overperwered.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

+ 3 defense due to flight would require to give it to all the flying units, or to introduce a notion of good/bad flyiers.

Old January 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't mind that, if someone did it for me. It's not like Black Hawks, Great Eagles or Ziz are overpowered atm. The fliers who already have high innate defense (devils, frost fiends etc) wouldn't get the bonus, of course, or at least not to such extent.

It's like what I've suggested for experience: some units start "experienced" but get the same malus for their stats. Devils would start with 0 experience (as far as Hall of Fame is considered) but four stars, and their innate abilities would be lowered so that (innate + experience) would equal their current stats. The fliers with good defense already use their flight to good effect.

Any way, this has little to do with supplies, so unless someone is going to make a mod to boost Caelians or fliers in general, discussing the merits of this theory doesn't help anyone. I'm sure there's something I overlooked.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Sergeant

Revolution is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Caelians are hungry hungry hippos

Theory is for the weak...one year ago today I decided to do some investigative reporting regarding the Caelian need for supplies.

Frustrated by my Dominons 3 Caelian unit's constant and seemingly insatiable need for food I decided I would get to the bottom of their bottomless hunger (Clearly no easy feat). The first step was to become like the Caelians. I toiled away in my basement to construct wings of my own. Using the winged harness utilized by the Dominons 3 Icarid as a visual guide I set about fashioning a stylish yet utilitarian method through which I would ideally be able to ascend to the coldest mountain peaks. After 4 days of somewhat hard work I gave up and just ordered Icarid wings off of the internet. 2-3 weeks later they arrived and I was flying high.

With the first part of my plan complete all that was left was to go eat...to prove that even with the ability of flight and the possession of wings I would require no more supply than normal. I took to the sky and was headed to the local supermarket when out of the corner of my eye I saw a field and a pair of cows. For some reason I had to go to them, I was...compelled. I cruised to the ground at lightning speed; my mouth watering as I gazed at the two cows. My mind was going a mile a minute; confusion over what I was doing or intended to do gave way to an insurgence of hunger that I had never felt before. The ground rushed up at me, I could see the whites of Harry's eyes (Harry was the bigger cow...I did not bother naming the other more slender cow; he was insignificant. All that mattered was that Harry was fat slow and delicious). I hit the ground next to Harry - a misjudged killing blow due to my lack of flying experience. The thunderous beating of my wings startled the cows and they both ran away, mooing in terror. Most fortunately for me though, Harry tripped over a rock and died a swift merciful death.

I made a small campfire a began roasting a section of Harry's left flank. The meat had been cooking for less than a minute before, overcome with hunger I wolfed it down. I turned my gaze back on the downed cow, hungry for more. What happened next is a fuzzy haze of red and brown; it was as if my consciousness left my body. When I woke up I found myself lying on my back staring up at the sun.

I tried to sit up but found myself unable...something was lying on my stomach. One look at the offending organ proved that my initial conclusion was wrong...I was in fact pregnant and the baby was kicking. I rolled over onto my side was able to push myself up, my stomach swinging wildly too and fro. Upon standing a disturbing sight was brought to my eyes...the body of the noble cow Harry was gone, replaced by a cow skeleton picked clean by what I could only assume was a roving pack of hyenas...and then it hit me. I had eaten Harry...all of him...and judging by the sun it had taken me just under an hour. I was hungry again, allready. I turned away to find the other cow and tripped over the same rock that had felled Harry. The sky rolled up before my eyes as the ground rolled up to meet me. Bits of wood and feathers flew up around me as my flying harness cracked under my weight. My hunger disappeared. Later that day I burned those accursed wings and later that week I paid for liposuction.

So now, I ask that instead of cursing and questioning the Caelian need for constant feeding I suggest that you instead feel pity for the noble bird people. Their hunger brings great pain and suffering, they pay a higher price for their wings that I was willing to. With bellies so full it's a wonder they can fight at all.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Revolution, that was hilarious.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

After such a scientific study, it is clear that we will have to rely on our mages to win the day, during the two hours a day they are not eating. Their belies shouldn't prevent them to pound the ennemy with lightning.(fried cow for everyone).