.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:00 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Setups For Mictlan

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
That's certainly one approach to Mictlan, the "My Dominion Sucks" Version, as Mictlan certainly can choke off the flow of nasty dominion easily enough simply by failure to perform regular sacrificing in certain areas, combined with stone idols to poke holes.

I also don't consider the Jags potent enough to really be worth basing a bless strategy around, but they ARE relatively cheap, and as of newer patches, no longer capitol-only. I personally favor the thinking which states that Mictlan troops are mostly crud, and thus neglect them in favor of going for the blood. Another thing worth noting is that because Jags really have very little merit on their own, they tend to hit obsolescence fairly quickly. When do you start replacing them with blood in your strategy?
Yep, thats the standard thinking on Mictlan. And honestly, it might even be right. However, I enjoy different flavors of the game and Mictlan lets you play a bless based strategy.

I *never* go the blood route.. its much more a swamp them with quality approach.
Remember, you are spending character actions to find bloodslaves, character actions to raise slave armies, character actions to patrol unhappy territories, character actions to summon your devils/demons and imps.

I choose to go an alternate route.. typically like the astral king or supercombatant. But some of the spells legions of steel, mass protection, etc are great too.

As described, believe it or not the jag warriors can go toe to toe with heavy calvary - units which cost twice as much to build - and 1/8th to maintain.

best..

Chris
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:03 AM

BANNED USER

[quote]Originally posted by Anglachel:
Quote:
Make of it what you will but in a general sense it seems of limited usefulness for the amount of points to gain blood level nine.
I played with death.. kind of cool to see a jaguar.. turn into a jaguar.. turn into an undead.
Turned out to be not effective tho.
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by chrispedersen:
I *never* go the blood route.. its much more a swamp them with quality approach.
Remember, you are spending character actions to find bloodslaves, character actions to raise slave armies, character actions to patrol unhappy territories, character actions to summon your devils/demons and imps.
Yes, but if you don't go the blood route, dominion doesn't spread. Admittedly, your dominion is crud, but how do you avoid an unpleasant dominion-kill, since dominion doesn't spread unless the blood is sacrificed?

And yes, it does take character actions to do all this: Of course, it also takes character actions to shuffle your replacement jags to the front, and they're not THAT nimble, and they're not that cheap, either. Character actions can be performed as long as the character lives, which only costs his meager upkeep, as the aforementioned actions are performed by low-cost sacred commanders and slaves. So is having to spend "character time" really better than having to blow gold on something which will quickly die?
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Sergeant

SelfishGene is on a distinguished road

Despite the reeking mediocrity of Mictlan's base troops (you should only be building Feathered Warriors, alone of all their national troops, just for you slave armies imo), Mictlan can make use of powerful blessings.

The best is probably Fire-9 for obvious reasons; and flying, sacred troops with 2 attacks and +9 damage can do nicely against a rearguard. Death, Blood, and Nature are all perfectly valid blessings for Mictlan.

Of course the 'perfect' blessing for crap sacred troops is always a maxed Phoenix 9-Air/9-Fire. Or is it 8-Air, i forget if going to 9 increases Air Shield percentage (i think it does despite the manual). Anyway that works like a charm for Mictan as its most powerful troops are most vulnerable to ranged fire. Same with Flagellents, Battle Vestals, ect.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SelfishGene:
The best is probably Fire-9 for obvious reasons; and flying, sacred troops with 2 attacks and +9 damage can do nicely against a rearguard. Death, Blood, and Nature are all perfectly valid blessings for Mictlan.
Man, I have a hard time seeing a Blood 9 Blessing Working for anyone. At least in the fact that the blessing is the thing that created or added to the success. I'm sure someone somewhere has cursed a few units with this, but by and large this blessing is subpar in my book. Especially since it is not guarenteed.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Sergeant

SelfishGene is on a distinguished road

Well i should have said Blood-4. In fact, its probably the strongest 4-Bless you can get. Its cost effectiveness quickly dimishes beyond that until its virtually useless compared to the others.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Of the 4 Blessings, I would have to say Death 4 has the greatest impact. +2 Str is nice, but for me it doesn't fall into the same Category as mass fear. But to each their own
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:56 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

If Blood had even a mediocre level-9 effect I could see myself taking Blood for the blessing too. It works well with the javelin-wielders. Also, I would like to try equipping their holy commanders with Fire Bolas, Storm bows etc. They don't have the best possible magics for that task, but it would still be interesting thing to try. It is not the optimal one, though.
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM

BANNED USER

[/quote]Yes, but if you don't go the blood route, dominion doesn't spread. Admittedly, your dominion is crud, but how do you avoid an unpleasant dominion-kill, since dominion doesn't spread unless the blood is sacrificed?

And yes, it does take character actions to do all this: Of course, it also takes character actions to shuffle your replacement jags to the front, and they're not THAT nimble, and they're not that cheap, either. Character actions can be performed as long as the character lives, which only costs his meager upkeep, as the aforementioned actions are performed by low-cost sacred commanders and slaves. So is having to spend "character time" really better than having to blow gold on something which will quickly die? [/QB][/quote]

Laughing.. Well, I think we're going over same ground. Yes, jag shuffle is a problem. Summoning Devils etc (Death by terror) is not that low char.

As for avoiding Dominion kill - typically I avoid it by killing all your men, storming your castles, and raping your maenids.

I have yet to die from Dominion kill - if i'm to that point, you're going to kill me militarily.
A mictlan sun preist prophet with a jade knife..in his capital is 9 temple checks per turn. Hard to imagine you having 5 neighboring terrains all maxed out and generating more than that.