.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pax Malazica.

The Claw should probably be capital only, so as to not become the main mages used in battles, rather kept for assassination, scout and raiding duties.

Regarding Cadre Mages, I'm wondering - is it possible to get magic-using commanders recruitable without needing a lab? That might be one way to boost them up, alongside a very low cost for even their modest magic skill.
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

Would you be adding various Ascendants? I would like to see Oponn as a summon.
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Corporal

I might well toss in a few summons if I can manage to create art that works well as representing their results, but I'll be the first to note that I'm not a real artist.

Putting that aside, though, I have a hard time seeing most ascendants putting themselves under the command of a pretender - possibly excepting said Oponn, and then only for a time. (Until luck turns, say.)

The summon should, I reckon, be astral-based and involve the possibility of getting absolutely nothing or less than what you pay for. Say, a set of results including the twins themselves, three or four useful units that are still worth less than what you pay, and one or two completely useless units.

If things work out well with the Malazan Empire, however, I'll likely move on to other nations in the universe, which will bring in some ascendants as pretenders - Rake and Brood, for example.
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

if all mages except cadre mages are cap only I doubt most will see much use.

I agree though that ascendants answering too Laseen is not that realistic

Setting loose the Houds of Darkness or Shadow on a distant province to wreak havoc (for independants, not to gain the province) might be nice.. though probably not used a lot unless they where really capable of keeping the province for a while (which they should be able too)

I think you can get magic user without a lab if they only have randoms (as for example... my version of the cadre mages) havént'actaully tried it yet though.

Oponn doesn't really do anything in the books.. except well.. change luck.. I can only imagine them as the one a huge beacon of luck, maybe creating a pearl/round and high astral magic. The other a (high) steal character that gives misfortune to enemy provinces. THey shouldn't really fight though. The one with a battlefield spell that gives luck to all your troops, the other which curses the enemy or something.
--> regardless of this mod this would be nice summons though maybe propose them in the end game summons thread

BTW endo I can really advice reading the books.. one of the best fantasy series around.. the next book is on the top of my list together with the new Fire and Ice book.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Corporal

Sleet is on a distinguished road

Great idea and work so far!

Karsa Orlong may be a good Pretender too... (or perhaps better a hero)

I assume one of the heroes would be (you hav eno names in your list):

Quick Ben
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Private

Attle is on a distinguished road

I just want to say: Awesome idea!
Looking forward to try it out. Also I totaly support Sleets idea of having Karsa in the mod. He is simply awesome( yeah, I think so, so what?! wanna fight about it?!)
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Lieutenant General

I light of the end game summons thread I think summoning the bridgeburners as a high level summon would be best.. no real SC or strong mages except Ben but combined a valid summon worth the research and summon cost...

maybe give fiddler an AOE crossbow with shoot commanders option.

Karsa Oblong isn't really with the empire in any part of the books if I recall correctly.. he could be a summon but as pretender it would be strange.

As Pretender I'd sooner see The Emperor or shadowthrone.. they/he have some ties to the empire at least.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Corporal

The current plan is that Quick Ben will not be the high mage, actually - Tayschrenn is the high mage hero mentioned.

Quick Ben - alongside some of the Bridgeburners - might instead appear in the Middle Age version, where Kellanved is still around.

Karsa is awesome, but not within the scope of the currently planned mod. If I ever create a Teblor/Thelomen Toblakai nation, he'll be there to pretend for it. If I create one for the Whirlwind, he'll be a hero.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Private

Attle is on a distinguished road

Actually Karsa would be perfect as a pretender... ;D
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Personally... I'd worry more about making one great LA nation with all stuff in there than about a 2nd MA nation.. if the LA nation is finished and very good and played a lot and you want to continue, maybe then see how you change things..

getting ONE nation that gets played a lot in MP etc will be hard enough