.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old January 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Nation Replacement Mod 1.0 and Mod Converter

Some of you might have seen the plans about Mod-making program. I suggested it, because it felt possible to do? Why? Simply because I had done something similar of much smaller scale. Now it works.

My little program is called Mod Converter, and it converts mods. I'll use one of my Nation Replacement Mods as an example: like Iron Kingdom (base Ulm replacing Abysia). Check the attachment for screenshot/help file. Check the two following Posts to get Mod Converter and Nation Replacement Mod 1.00.

To use the program, press Browse on the high right, find the file 'ulm.dm'. choose another nation from the pop-up list, and press the button.

Of course, you can also rename the file. I haven't yet gotten the MOD renaming to work, but that will come in time. The new mod file appears to the directory ModConverter is located in.

Besides changing the #selectnation X to #selectnation Y, my program also changes all spells that the chosen mod makes national spells to be national spells of the nation Y. This way, T'ien Ch'i will get its Celestial Summons with it, and Black Forest Ulm won't lose its all-important Sanguine Heritage. It might not be preferable with all mods, so I will later add a checkbox to disable this option.
Also, the program can remove national spells of nation Y (the nation replaced). Abysia will lose Flare, Man its song spells and Sleep... And, those spells are either removed (Song Spells, Celestial summons) or put to their right places in the research tree (=only removes them from national spell list). There is a checkbox to disallow this if you wanted that, for some reason...
The program shows mod info (unless some bug kills this feature) and nation info.

I will be reworking this shortly.
Please tell what you would like this to do. And please understand that this is not meant for making mods, but for changing nations mods replace. Especially those that replace an entire nation. I don't believe this would work at all for a mod without #selectnation. So replacing heroes of target nation (eg. Rage Lord, Anathemant Warlock and Slayer (the Demonbred variety) of Abysia by the heroes of your chosen nation is possible, but giving random bonuses to all units in the game is not.

I have also worked on my Nation Replacement mods. I have given it Version number 1.0, but I haven't tested them. Some bad knews: New Era, Return of Raptors and Midgård couldn't be copied because one or more of their starting sites were named the same as the base nation's starting site(s). Vanhalla for Midgård, Gaea's Grove for New Era and both sites for Return of Raptors. The good news is that only Niefelheim is left to do!

Last edited by Endoperez; August 13th, 2008 at 11:31 AM..
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Nation Replacement Mod 1.0 and Mod Converter

And here is the program... A jar (zip with java classes inside) inside a zip so that I can post it!

Old January 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM

And here, the Nation Replacement Mod 1.0 (only slightly incomplete).

Old January 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road

How save is this program? I mean is there a slighty chance that it will blew something up? I know that might sound like a silly question, but better to be save than sorry.

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:52 AM

The program does not remove files. I didn't program that into it, and I haven't seen a bug cause that. Twice the program caused a loop (used resources until alt-control-del:d to death), but I fixed both of those. There might be another bug, but I believe that at most they only make the mod file program creates unusable.