.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM

Corporal

Azhur is on a distinguished road
Default Ermor <--> Pythium

What was the relationship between these two nations, before Pythium broke free from Ermor? Which one was on the upperhand, and what was the main reason for the corruption of Ermor? I'd really like to know, since it's my lifework to know every single fragment of dom 2's fictional history...

Even some grounds might bring me a bit closer to the answer.
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ermor <--> Pythium

You could start a game with both nations and wait until you get all heroes . Do it for all themes also . Iirc there are some additional hints about the history of ermor + pythium in the descriptions of the heroes .

Basically i would say the history is that Ermor was the Roman empire and then crumbled and Nations like Marignon and Ulm got free ( at least the nation description indicates it ) . Pythium is what Byzantine was .
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM

Corporal

Azhur is on a distinguished road

Wow, didn't really notice before, that all those three nations combined were once the mighty nation of Ermor. How about the "corruption of Ermor" then? What utter malevolence could have turned the glory of Ermor into a nation of decay?
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Go ask the C'tisian Sauromancers.
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM

Corporal

Duncanish is on a distinguished road

I always kind've thought that Ermor was brought down by the study of Death magic. They slowly became corrupted as they sought out more and more knowledge and finally stumbled onto something they couldn't control, which ended up nearly destroying them. The major Death nations (Ermor, C'tis) can all be viewed as somewhat evil by their general descriptions, and those few with only a little skill in Death (like S&A) aren't nearly as "evil."

I found out what zombies are weak against.
Oh?
Point blank annihilation.
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Btw in dominions 1 was a europe map where all the nations were in the "proper" places , e.g. marignon was in Spain , Ulm in Germany , Ermor in Rome , Pythium in Byzantine , Abysia in the Sahara , Ctis in Egypt and so on

This map is the only thing i miss from dom 1 in dom 2
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Ermor: I suspect you have already read all the description of all commanders (especially summonables) of all Ermorian themes, and the national descriptions of Ermor, Pythium, Marignon and Ulm. There is also information in various descriptions of (Sauromancer, atleast) of C'tis, and Serpent Cult Pythium.

Dom:PPP: There was also that big scenario, where Ermor was the bad guy having special commanders all around the map. Many of the artifacts come from that scenario.

From descriptions of some artifacts I found Great Sarlah, Harakhtor, Shantanok and Vestur of the Black Coven, but there was a fifth one also. Despite being named Kurgi, the he is only one dev's view, the other didn't like Kurgi being named like that. He is something more sinister than just the Harvester of Sorrows or what-was-it.

BTW, how well does Zen's map of Europe go with the old Europe map of Dom:PPP? The new nations couldn't really be fitted on Europe, the world maps does that. But for us old-timers, remake might be interesting. The Black Coven might also be nice, if we got a better map.

I am wondering how well I remember the old nations and their places on the Europe. Here goes a try:

Abysia - Sahara
Atlantis - the Atlantic (:P)
Pythium - Byzantine
Man - Britain
Ulm - Germany
C'tis - Egypt
Arcoscephale - Persia
Caelum - Caucasus? Eastern part of map north from Arcos and south from Jotun, anyway
Ermor - Rome
Marignon - Spain
Pangaea - Poland (or somewhere there)
Vanheim - Sweden
Jotunheim - northern russia
R'lyeh - Mediterranean?

Edit: I really should pre-read these...
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:17 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I always kind've thought that Ermor was brought down by the study of Death magic. They slowly became corrupted as they sought out more and more knowledge and finally stumbled onto something they couldn't control, which ended up nearly destroying them. The major Death nations (Ermor, C'tis) can all be viewed as somewhat evil by their general descriptions, and those few with only a little skill in Death (like S&A) aren't nearly as "evil."
I don't think C'tis is necessatily evil. They helped Pythium to resist Ermor's fate (at least in serpent cult). One could say that death magic is not suited for human beings, and will corrupt those too deply involved with it. The inhabitants of C'tis control death magic rather than being controlled by it (or, if you take desert tombs as an example, it's rather natural for them to have interact with the undead)
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PrinzMegaherz said:
Quote:

I don't think C'tis is necessatily evil. They helped Pythium to resist Ermor's fate (at least in serpent cult). One could say that death magic is not suited for human beings, and will corrupt those too deply involved with it. The inhabitants of C'tis control death magic rather than being controlled by it (or, if you take desert tombs as an example, it's rather natural for them to have interact with the undead)
Exactly, one of my favorite things about dominions is that 'good' and 'evil' nations are in the eye of the beholder.
Even blood magic, when you read the description, is not so much evil as that the only means of accessing it are.
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
Quote:
PrinzMegaherz said:
Quote:

Exactly, one of my favorite things about dominions is that 'good' and 'evil' nations are in the eye of the beholder.
Even blood magic, when you read the description, is not so much evil as that the only means of accessing it are.
Ditto regarding both PrinzMegaherz's and quantum_mechani's posts. One could even make a case for Marignon being good. Or the lesser evil, at any rate.