.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:18 AM

Default Re: I ALWAYS loose.... I need advice and have MANY questions heh!

Ghouls = Take and Hold usage (They are not mindless, if you notice, so they have a full repair/destroy castle damage)

Soulless = Get more per summon if you have corpses. As good as Longdead, but more. If you are summoning Longdead, you might as well summon Soulless while you have corpses unless you plan on Raven Feasting. IMO the AI should notice when there are no corpses and switch their Reanimation to longdead (if they can) when there are no more Corpses.

Longdead = No population Reanimation. Fodder for free!
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Private

Lach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by Lach:

So any bordering provence to one with a castle will also get its full resource value?
This is where the Admin value of a Fort comes into play. The admin is what amount of resource draw that fort has from its surrounding provinces.

Those provinces get drained of resources.

The province it is built in gets full resources, neighboring provinces get the administration %?

Okay... the AI cheats and I am certain of it. I managed to get a REALLY strong border... covered a good size of territory and only 4 entrances, one of which is hard to get to!

All 4 of them have an enormeous number of troops.... on one of them in particular I was stacking every extra troop I could in preperation of breaking out and capturing an area past that bottleneck up to the next bottleneck(then fortify that area ETC). Eventually I broke out and attacked

Within two turns of doing this the AI on the other side of me, who could not possibly see that are, who had no armies on that side of the world and who had no global spells to reveal the area, massed 450 units on my other side..... how they even GOT 450 units, which had to of been most of their army there that quickly is beyond me, let alone how they knew.... grrr heh.

Chalk up another massive slaughter heh.

[ July 13, 2004, 04:18: Message edited by: Lach ]
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:09 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The province it is built in gets full resources, neighboring provinces get the administration %?
No, the province it is built in get full resources, neighbouring provinces lose resources according to the admin percentage, which go to the province with the castle.

Quote:
Okay... the AI cheats and I am certain of it. I managed to get a REALLY strong border... covered a good size of territory and only 4 entrances, one of which is hard to get to!
The only difference between the AI and yourself is the number of points it gets to make its pretender, and that it knows which provinces you control. On normal, you get the same amount of points, on easy, it gets less, and on impossible, it gets more. After that, you are playing by the same rules. The AI just uses huge hordes of the cheapest troops, built in every province that it can, which you could do yourself if you had as much patience as it.

Quote:
Within two turns of doing this the AI on the other side of me, who could not possibly see that are, who had no armies on that side of the world and who had no global spells to reveal the area, massed 450 units on my other side.....
The AI knows what provinces you control, and can gather any other informationn via scouts, which it uses a lot of.
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Private

Lach is on a distinguished road

[quote]Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
Quote:
[qb]The province it is built in gets full resources, neighboring provinces get the administration %?
No, the province it is built in get full resources, neighbouring provinces lose resources according to the admin percentage, which go to the province with the castle.

So what if two neighboring provinces both have castles?
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:11 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So what if two neighboring provinces both have castles?
If two castles both have the same neighbour, then that neighbour has its resources drained by both castles. If the admin % is 40, then one castle will take 40%, and the other will take another 40%. If the resource draining goes over 100% then I believe that it is probably split up amongst the castles according to their relative admin ability.

Two castles that neighbour each other will not drain resources from each other.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

All 4 of them have an enormeous number of troops.... on one of them in particular I was stacking every extra troop I could in preperation of breaking out and capturing an area past that bottleneck up to the next bottleneck(then fortify that area ETC). Eventually I broke out and attacked
The AI blows all of its money building tons of crap, and doesn't research much at all. This means it has lots of money to, well, blow on crap. The fact that they build NOTHING but crap will quickly become readily apparent when you start fielding higher-class units like SCs, and mow through the AI's hordes of crap like a bazooka rocket through tissue paper.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Sergeant

HotNifeThruButr is on a distinguished road

I've always thought Broken Empire (which is what you're using) was a horrible theme. Anyways, my advice is that you stop making velites and create principes and hastati, if principes use too much resource. Also remember to use your gems to get your powerful undead critters out. Wights, behemoths, and bane lords are really good critters, as are ghosts, in my opinion.

BTW, if you didn't have the manual, how'd you get the game to work? Isn't the CD key on the manual?
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HotNifeThruButr:
BTW, if you didn't have the manual, how'd you get the game to work? Isn't the CD key on the manual?
I wondered the same thing. I also wondered whether the original owner is still playing, as the installation does not ask for the cd.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Private

Rainbow is on a distinguished road

The AI nations appear to mass HUGE armies at higher difficulty levels. Much larger than any positive scales can ever justify. This indicates to me that the AI does indeed cheat with gold/ressources at higher than normal difficulty settings.

I think most dom players start out by losing the the AI, while they get used to and adapt to the same-time movement of armies, and learn how to build and compose armies to be effective. These seemingly rudimentary things can take many days of playing before you have enough experience to know what works and what does not. The best way is to notice in each game what seems to work, and what does not. This can be very simple things, like noticing that your heavy infantry armies almost always win, but that they never kill many enemies because they cannot run them down when they break, and that your suffer huge losses when heavy infantry breaks, because they are too slow to retreat before being run down.

Once you have a firm grip on these basics, you are ready to take your game to the next level by using gems to get the maximum gain from them. Later in the game, gems will determine the outcome, as they can produce units, magic items, and spell effects that can be applied to destroy any army comprised of normal units purchased for gold, regardless of its size and composition. To master this art, you must study all the spells, magic items and units (including summoned units) in the game, which again will take days of playing with trial and error.

It's all jolly good fun. :-)

/Rainbow
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Sergeant

HotNifeThruButr is on a distinguished road

The thing is, the "basics" encompass enough to fill two whole other games