.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Starvation victims abroad need help NOW!

Here's an idea I've got about supplies in Dom 3: The use of supply lines to get supplies from one province to another.

To illustrate, let's say you're playing Jotunheimen. Your capital produces 300 supplies and uses 10 for the units in it, leaving 290. A neighbouring province produces 21, and the province your army is in produces 4. The problem is that it requires 192 (don't ask how you can have such a huge army and only three provinces, 'k, I'm just providing an example).

So the army in the third province needs 188 supply units to avoid starvation. The neighbouring province has 4 supply units it's not using, and sends them over. The capital has 290 supplies left-over, and easily manages to cough up the 184 your hungry army needs.

Maybe there should be a delay before supplies made it to armies, and maybe some of it would get lost along the way. For example, if Jotunheim is giving 100 supplies to a province five provinces away, less than 100 would reach it?

I'd also like it if you could prioritize armies for supplies with settings scuh as "Keep this army fed when possible".

Also, it'd open for new strategies. Unimportant provinces could suddenly become very important as taking them cut off supply lines and left armies starving.

In addition, there could be spells, items, upgrades, etc. based around the supply lines.

Finally, spies could have an "Harrass caravans" order, which decreased the amount of supply units an army received.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Corporal

NakedLunch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Starvation victims abroad need help NOW!

Very neat idea. I'm a big fan of supply lines in games (man does that sound dorky) because of the facts you listed above. It definitely adds a new layer of strategy to the game and if done right, could be a lot of fun. For instance, wouldn't it be cool if you persuade bandits/independants in an enemy's province to attack more often and give your support to them? You could have them attack caravans, supply deopts etc. Another thing it could bring to the table are bazaars where you could sell excess supplies and buy supplies when needed, at expensive prices of course.

Only problem I see with all this is maybe Dom3 is already too far into development to add all this? Perhaps a skilled modder could bring our fantastic dreams to fruition?

Will no one help the widow's son?
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yeah either we will get this in Dom3 already, or Id have to say that its an item for the Dom4 wishlist
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Simple supply lines already exist. The numbers don't show up, and it's hard to notice, but provinces around castles have more supplies. If you ever lose the province between th closest fort and your main army, you'll notice the effect, even if you can't identify the reason.

I don't remember the numbers, but it works from castles' admin values IIRC.
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Yeah either we will get this in Dom3 already, or Id have to say that its an item for the Dom4 wishlist
"Zplendid"!

As an addition, should the supplies take some time to get flowing as the caravans have to move physically to get there? Something like a line materializing out of the source province and slowly making its way to the target province?

So that when you're in a province with a black line, you can get supplies from the source province. If you're not, no good. And the lines are first thin, then they thicken up, marking that you can get more and more supplies in that province as the caravans for that part of the stretch are getting more organized. Just ideas. It might be better if it was instantenous.

Oh, and the Vanir and whatever other "sailing nations" should be able to transport supplies across sea provincres.

As a side note, I'm all for more interaction with independent provinces, and independent provinces interacting with each others. For example, pay off a neighbouring province too well-defended to conveniently invade and you're allowed to take your supply lines through it.

PS: Who did I fool with the thread heading and the Red Cross symbol?
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont think its IN Dom3. Im just saying that by this time it either is, or its a thing for Dom4. Im pretty sure its too late for major additions.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Corporal

Then I misunderstood. Damn. Well, I'll cross my claws.
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

I also like this idea. This would enchance the strategic part of the game definitely.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NakedLunch said:
Perhaps a skilled modder could bring our fantastic dreams to fruition?
Unless modding in dom3 is drastically different than in dom2, this is not going to be possible. In any case, there are supply lines already in dominions. Forts provide a lot of supplies to provinces around them; should there no longer be a line of supply between your fort and the province your army is in, the supplies go away. It's not a huge effect, and only comes into play once in a while, but it's there.
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Sergeant

Archonsod is on a distinguished road

I think it would make more sense for supply shortfall to cause population drop.

I can't see a hungry dragon running out of food in a large, well populated province!