.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Private

kendric2 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie questions

Water provinces: Whats the way to attack them. Do all sides have access to water moving heroes. Are there such things as underwater races which even having boats doesn't mean you can't attack them? Also what is the implication of a race that can't send its main guys on land.

Supply for troops: It says that forts transfer supply to your armies from nearbye provinces. Whats the radius of this and what happens when there is more then one army that needs supply.

What happens when 2 forts share an adjacent province as far as that provinces resources are concerned. Can one of them use all of it if the other is inactive or do they each get half.

In the hall of fame my hero showed as only having 1 kill. I put him in the front of the army on attack(minotaur lord)but he never got another kill. Any ideas on how that works.

What determines siege length?

Is there a population cap and is it the same for each province.

Thanks in advance if you have some answers to these.
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie questions

1) Icthyids off land provinces (not shamblers, they're really poor). Not all sides have access to water moving heroes, nations with access to death gives the best chances as they have access to mound kings, which are not only amphibian but able to command pale riders which are probably one of the easiest ways to access water. Ryleh, ATlantis and Oceania are all underwater nations, they are tougher to attack there but the downside is, their land forts doesn't offer much in terms of mages.
2) Not sure, it's illustrated in the manual though. As far as I know, they distribute supply to all provinces in their radius so if you have one army in one province and another in say an adjacent one, they won't "steal" each other's food if that's what you meant.
3) Halved.
4) He probably didn't kill anything and you most likely led your army with another commander in the same province so your other commander ended up claiming all the kills.
5) Defense of fort, defenders present. Strength value of your units sieging and siege bonus'.
6) No pop cap. Farmlands tends to start with higher population. And capitals obviously.

Oh and welcome to the forums ~_^. Drop by our mIRC channel sometimes!
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
kendric2 said:
Water provinces: Whats the way to attack them. Do all sides have access to water moving heroes.
Not all nations have an easy time of attacking water provinces. Typically, you need amphibious troops, such as the shamblers or Icthyids you can recruit from some coastal provinces. It's also possible for some undead units to go underwater. There are several water and air items that can be constructed and given to your commanders to enable them to lead troops underwater.

Quote:
Are there such things as underwater races which even having boats doesn't mean you can't attack them?
As long as you have amphibious (or poor amphibian) troops, you can always attack any underwater nation.

Quote:
Also what is the implication of a race that can't send its main guys on land.
The major implication is that the nation will have a great deal more trouble attacking land provinces than the land nation. The flip side is that these nations typically are very, very good at defending their underwater provinces. They might have to watch out if they get completely surrounded, as land provinces are usually more numerous than underwater provinces.

Another implication is that the heat/cold scale doesn't affect the income from underwater provinces. It's usually fairly safe to take a cold 3 scale with an underwater nation. You usually want cold 3 instead of heat 3 because water magic is less fatiguing in a cold province, and fire magic more fatiguing. If most of your opponents are the cold loving nations, you might want to consider switching to heat 3.

Quote:
What happens when 2 forts share an adjacent province as far as that provinces resources are concerned. Can one of them use all of it if the other is inactive or do they each get half.
If both adjacent fortresses have an administration statistic of 50, then each will take half the resources from the province, leaving it with no resources. Fortresses do not take resources from other provinces that have a fortress in them.

Quote:
In the hall of fame my hero showed as only having 1 kill. I put him in the front of the army on attack(minotaur lord)but he never got another kill. Any ideas on how that works.
He might not have achieved another kill because of his trampling leaving weakened opponents that the rest of your army cleans up. I'm not quite sure about why he wouldn't have been able to get more kills however.

Quote:
What determines siege length?
It's in the manual on page 81, but the short of it is that the reduction in the defense score of the fortress for each of your units is equal to the unit's strength squared then divided by 100. Add one if the unit flies, or add the siege strength if the unit has a siege modifier. The defender builds up the defense statistic by the same amount per trop, except that mindless units are only worth 10% of their value.

Quote:
Is there a population cap and is it the same for each province.
There's no population cap (Except for the limitations of how big a number can be stored, which would probably be around 2 billion.)
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Private

kendric2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the fast response
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

In general units with the amphibian or poor amphibian abilities can move underwater. Poor amphibians suffer some stat penalties. Aquatic units cannot go onto land. The various water nations may have some aquatic units but they will also have amphibious units so they can attack land provinces. They'll tend to be weaker on land than land factions though.
If you can take even one water province you can recruit underwater troops there, as well as summoning underwater-only summons with water magic.

I haven't got Dom3 yet, but there were quite a few ways to attack underwater enemies in Dom2 that should still be there. I'll list the ones that spring to mind.

1: Some mercenaries are amphibious. Ship Wreckers may be the best ones.

2: Some land provinces allow recruitment of amphibious units - icthyids and shamblers

3: There are magical items that grant water-breathing (basically the same as 'poor amphibian' IIRC. Some affect only the commander but some also affect his troops. If the commander dies the troops probably drown though. In Doms2 these were in the water and air paths.

4: A few commanders have the special ability to lead men underwater, at least according to their flavour text.

5: Some land nations have recruitable amphibious units. All Agarthan pale ones seem to be good amphibians.

6: There are many summonable units that are amphibious:

Water magic has many aquatic summons, but you need an underwater lab and a water magic capable of going underwater to cast them. There are also some amphibious water summons that you can cast on land. Sea Trolls are the most obvious example.

Many, but not all, undead are poor amphibians and can go underwater.

I believe that many constructs (generally earth magic) are poor amphibians.

7: There might be some global enchantments that can help. I think there was one in Doms2, but I never used it...

Water nations are also very vulnerable to dominion problems because each sea province usually borders many land provinces which could all have temples. If you find yourself in a stalemate where you can't conquer the seas but you can hold all the land then building enough temples may grant you victory.

The AI does not focus much on underwater provinces when playing as an underwater nation. They often do not take sea provinces far away from their home province, focusing instead on nearby land ones. This allows land nations to get a good foothold in the seas. Land nations are much weaker underwater, but if your economy is stronger you may be able to recruit enough tritons etc to hold off a sea nation. Big armies of magical summons could flatten pretty much any AI army with ease in Doms2. The underwater summons were never quite as devastating as those on land but they were potent enough...
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:26 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The AI does not focus much on underwater provinces when playing as an underwater nation.
This does not appear to be a problem in Dom3. In my current game Oceania & Atlantis started in seperate large bodies of water. They held every water province and were starting to clash with my forces on land before I was finally able to enter the sea with summons & shamblers.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM

Corporal

hoo is on a distinguished road

Question about movement and Combat.

Let's say I have armies in Provinces A & B and my opponent has armies in province C And D. Province B does NOT border province D! I attack Province C from both A&B. My opponent attacks province A from C&D. How does it resolve? To my 2 armies meet his 1 army in province C? Or do the armies in the provinces being attacked stop and defend so it's 1 army vs 1 army? Think of a province setup like a "Z" and how it's resolved.

Finally, let's say there's only 2 provinces(this is simpler) and We attack each other at the same time...Is there a defender or do you meet on neutral ground?

thanks bundles.
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

This is explained in detail in the manual. Page 64+ (MOVEMENT). The Dom3 Manual is quite cool!

1. All Movement in friendly provinces happens
2. Movement in enemy territory followed in a random manner. So the answer of your questions should be clear
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM

Corporal

hoo is on a distinguished road

I read the manual turn order pages and understand movement in friendly provinces happens first. Random manner doesn't exactly answer my question. I know that entering an enemy provinces stops your movement. but my question remains.

If the enemy moves first into a province, are you then blocked from moving out of a province? If the movement is random will your forces possibly attack piecemeal if they're coming from 2 differnet provinceS?
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

Thats explained on page 68.

"...
For example if 2 armies attack each other one of the 3 things can happen:

- there is a battle in the enemy province
- there is a battle in your province
- the armies miss one another and exchange place
which event occurs depends on the size of the armies and the terrain involved"

So eventually your army is 'pinned' in your province.