.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default New Mod Release: An Age Aside

This mod is replaces all 17 nations with new ones based on independent provinces, summonable units, and other misc. units (it also includes the official hoburg mod, thanks Illwinter ). The main reason for the mod is to provide players who are bored with playing/fighting all the basic nations/themes some new material to work with. I'm sure with so much stuff changed there are more than a few bugs, typos and balance issues, so please let me know.

A small note: For many creatures in the mod, the gold cost represents paying for the mage time to bind/create the creature and maintain the spell, not that the creatures themselves use the gold.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 349020-An_Age_Aside.zip (37.8 KB, 223 views)
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Mod Release: An Age Aside

I am looking at all the nations right now, so I will likely edit this post afterwards. Ulm can recruit Mechanical Men in this mod, but the creatures do not cost *anything*, including resources (unlike Clockword Horrors, which have a cost of 40 resources).
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Alneyan said:
I am looking at all the nations right now, so I will likely edit this post afterwards. Ulm can recruit Mechanical Men in this mod, but the creatures do not cost *anything*, including resources (unlike Clockword Horrors, which have a cost of 40 resources).
Oops, they should cost 60-80 resources. Thanks for catching it.
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

40 Res per CH and 60-80 Res per MM ?? Likely we won't see much of them...
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road

Ailat has *no* mages. Whats up with that?
I mean, they have some cool advantages (cheap troops, summoning elementals for free), but with no magic, how are you supposed to be competative?
I guess you could take like 3-4 in all paths on your pretender, and summon other mages, but youll never get any research and are doomed unless you find sages (or any indy mage I guess) right away.

This looks pretty fun. I wonder if anyone would be interested in playing a quick test game (or a couple) on some small map?
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Lieutenant General

I may end up giving the horse brother an elemental random, then you have the tough choice between researching with him or using his awesome battlefield spells. Of course, that could make storming the home fort of the Ailat hell... maybe I should up the price too. As for the clockwork horrors/mechanical men, it gives the nation the unique advantage of having something useful to do with resources in the mid/late game.

I would love to do a few test games with the mod, I'm usually around the #dominions IRC channel if you ever want to try a quick game.
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Ailat already ahs the greatest disability of Mictlan: their dominion needs Bloods Sacrifice to spread. Also, nations replacing Abysia and Vanheim can use blood sacrifice, but aren't forced to.

Change the Bowl of the Lost/Demon Gate nation to replace Mictlan.

Interesting mod, although the nations are quite minimalistic. I especially like the Alchemist one. They surely will have lots of gold, but not much to use it for without spending more than even they can afford!
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Ailat already ahs the greatest disability of Mictlan: their dominion needs Bloods Sacrifice to spread. Also, nations replacing Abysia and Vanheim can use blood sacrifice, but aren't forced to.

Change the Bowl of the Lost/Demon Gate nation to replace Mictlan.

Interesting mod, although the nations are quite minimalistic. I especially like the Alchemist one. They surely will have lots of gold, but not much to use it for without spending more than even they can afford!
Hmm, I had not considered the effect of mictlan dominion, without having blood mages. I may need to give horse brothers a point of blood as well, so that there are _three_ important things you need them for.

I realize the nations are somewhat minimalistic, but there is only so much you can do with rearranging units, when you have 17 nations to fill. However, if people would list what they think the best/worst nations are from the standpoint of fleshing them out, I could give the bottom nations a little polishing.

I'm glad you think the alchemists have a down side, to me they were looking like the most powerful of the new nations.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I do think they are the most powerful. They have lots of units, lots of money, can go either for awesome amounts of money (order 3) or luck (order 0/turmoil 1 + luck3), benefit from resources so can get a fast start (and more money), their mages can be useful on the battlefield (magma bolts), forge some items (earth items, burning pearl, charcoal shield, faithful). But I think that is more because of the weakness of other nations. Take away the archer and give it to some nation that is weaker.

Few things that would spice things up:
*Give the animal/charmer nation Wolfherds, make Summon Animals their national spell and make it slightly cheaper. Take away most recruitable animals so that they won't have to pay too much upkeep for the summoned critters.
*For more Ielyft creatures, check the R'lyeh mod 'False Dawn '
*consider giving some nations unique starting units, kind of heroes that exist from the beginning.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Why not? Resources are "free". Just take a cheap fort with decent admin, like a mausoleum or a wizards tower and build a couple of them. You will have more than enough resources to field a decent force of these. Tho 80 resources might be a bit much...

Quote:
PDF said:
40 Res per CH and 60-80 Res per MM ?? Likely we won't see much of them...