.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions Noob MP Helpdesk

Actually the argument that "this is technically true and therefore should not bother you" is one facet of what I think might be a problem with the whole project. There is a reason that techs and experts dont do customer support. CS people act as a buffer in both directions. Clarifying and translating user questions into clearer technical terms, getting the answer from an expert, then translating the techs answer into user language. Often expletives are removed and replaced with PC terms (in both directions). You know what they say "Those who can, do. And those who can't, teach." Altho sometimes its added "Because those who can do, can't teach.".

We have some here who can do both but not as many as think they can. Some who know the answers are just generally rotten at giving those answers. Particularly to new players. This 3-party method of customer support tends to happen automatically in open forums like IRC or this forum. In My Humble Opinion Im not sure that many direct expert-2-newplayer conversations will leave the new player with the best impression of our community anymore than customer service with no experts would.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; February 15th, 2010 at 07:40 PM..
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

I wonder what tag words is required to have a mod come and clean this thread up of all this crap in the last two pages. And just edit the damn "noob" part into "newbie" so we don't have to deal with the rest of this drivel.

Sorry, misread GP.

Last edited by KissBlade; February 15th, 2010 at 07:46 PM..
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

CRACK?!? Im saying that IRC is the best place for things like this. To get answers, and explanations. How did you take that as a crack? Why is it that everytime I recommend IRC its heard as sarcasm? personal tendency?

And as far as the drivel, its up to the OP to decide on something and close that part of the conversation. Until he comments, he might be interested.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissBlade View Post
... And just edit the damn "noob" part into "newbie" so we don't have to deal with the rest of this drivel.
Well, I object to that on principle.

I don't want some insane political correctness to control our speech here to the extent that we cannot use common gaming forum/community terms such as 'noob'. Or 'troll'.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions New Player MP Helpdesk

Every post in this stupid digression should be deleted, including this one.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down here people. I leave you guys alone for a few hours and get one new applicant and page upon page of discussion of a single word I used in the OP? This is ridiculous guys, calm down. I'm going to give an answer and then I want that discussion to stop. Also I will ask to have the discussion deleted.

Kissblade is 100% correct, I had no intention of insulting anyone by use of the word noob. My experience on this forum (and I tend to find the term noob and all other variations of said word to have different meanings depending on the community) has been that noob is not a dirty word. I have played and admined in numerous "noob friendly" games, some of them started by noobs. No one here has ever cared before, and we always, ALWAYS use the term noob when talking about new players here, and I can't say I recall it as ever having been used in a derogatory way before. However, to avoid further controversy I am changing the title of the thread and will remove all mention of the word "noob" from my opening post. I will not, however, try to prevent its use at any other point in this thread or in conversations held by CSRs. Now please, for the sake of the project stop cluttering up this thread with nonsense.

To Blackguard's original post: Thank you for choosing the Dominions New Player MP Helpdesk! Please feel free to continue using IRC as a place to get advice, or contact one of our helpdesk personnel on the forum by pm, or ask for their email if needed (will be needed to send turns, obviously). I'm not sure you're going to personally benefit a whole lot from the program since you're already on IRC anyway, but we will see what you can do. Remember that it is your place as the customer to choose which CSR to speak to at any given moment.

Gandalf:
Quote:
Actually the argument that "this is technically true and therefore should not bother you" is one facet of what I think might be a problem with the whole project. There is a reason that techs and experts dont do customer support. CS people act as a buffer in both directions. Clarifying and translating user questions into clearer technical terms, getting the answer from an expert, then translating the techs answer into user language. Often expletives are removed and replaced with PC terms (in both directions). You know what they say "Those who can, do. And those who can't, teach." Altho sometimes its added "Because those who can do, can't teach.".

We have some here who can do both but not as many as think they can. Some who know the answers are just generally rotten at giving those answers. Particularly to new players. This 3-party method of customer support tends to happen automatically in open forums like IRC or this forum. In My Humble Opinion Im not sure that many direct expert-2-newplayer conversations will leave the new player with the best impression of our community anymore than customer service with no experts would.
This is a really weird argument. First off, IRC is the best place to go to get dominions advice, period. And all the people that have joined so far already spend lots of time on IRC, and are some of the primary advice-givers. Especially sombre and squirrelloid, who ironically are the exact people you're talking about as being bad CSRs. So since these are the people who would be giving advice anyway, I can't see how this in any way hurts.

Secondly, I would hardly describe the current list of helpdesk people as being filled with experts. Most of us are mid-level players with varying levels of experience. What we are, is a generally capable bunch of players who are offering to help new players learn the ropes. And, my hope is, explain the whys of things more than most guides and help does at present.

Helpdesk personnel: On a different note, I have been informed that it is unlikely at this point that the thread will be stickied. In an effort to help keep this thread visible, please consider adding a link to it in your signature. Thank you.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP

Last edited by rdonj; February 15th, 2010 at 09:17 PM..
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
First off, IRC is the best place to go to get dominions advice, period.
Isnt that what I said? Well I said IRC and this forum. But I did say IRC.

Quote:
And all the people that have joined so far already spend lots of time on IRC, and are some of the primary advice-givers.
Yes I noticed that also. I have always considered IRC to be the mp players help desk. And even solo players.

Quote:
Especially sombre and squirrelloid, who ironically are the exact people you're talking about as being bad CSRs. So since these are the people who would be giving advice anyway, I can't see how this in any way hurts.
Where did you get that from? Moderators, I did not violate the NAP. Nowhere did I target anyone.

Quote:
Helpdesk personnel: On a different note, I have been informed that it is unlikely at this point that the thread will be stickied. In an effort to help keep this thread visible, please consider adding a link to it in your signature. Thank you.
I could add it to my links page on Dom3minons

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; February 15th, 2010 at 09:58 PM..
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:05 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I just thought that it was funny you saying that some of the CSRs would be bad people to have giving advice, when they're the main advice givers on IRC already, which we both agree is the best place to get advice . The forum is fine also, but if you really want specific advice about a game, IRC tends to be much better. And it is no secret that sombre is a grumpy old man, and squirrelloid aggressively verbose . The point of this thread is mostly to make in depth useful advice more available to non IRC-goers, and give people more options.

As for a link on your dom3minions page, I think that is a splendid idea.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I didnt say that! I made NO reference to ANYONE who has already signed up. Im very sorry if anyone took it that way.

Edit: By "We have some here" I truly meant the forum in general. NOT to people in this thread. I can see how that might have been taken that way and I HIGHLY apologize. I think I have shown in the past that I would be the LAST person to cast aspersions on someones ability to answer peoples questions.
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default OT: Noob vs Newbie, etc

Attempting to clean up the help desk thread.
Please don't clutter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ballbarian For This Useful Post: