.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 25th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excellent software for mapmakers

Ok finally I had a chance to check out this map editor what I've mentioned. I guess this will be perfect.
The editor contains more then 1800(!!!!!) different tiles, so these 2 screenshots are just a small presentation of the capabilities of the editor.
[It is not that easy to make maps, because you must place all tiles 1 by 1 and they must be in the perfect place, but it is worth of it, since you can make wonderful maps this way. I've made this overland image in like 1.5 hours.]
These 2 images were photoshopped 1 time so far, but it is only a simple plastic effect, because the images are looking better this way.
If you want to see the original image, just ask and I will post it too. [It is looking very good also, but I just love the plastic effects on the images. ]
I had to post this image in 2 parts, because it was too big.
I will definitely use this map editor to make Doms 3. maps for our MP games here, but of course I will share them with all of you on these forum as well.
So Gandalf, what do you think about this map editor? Here are the screenies:

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Major

Okay I decided to post the original screenie #2. This is the original image, without photoshop effect[s].
So originally, the map is looking like this, when you save it in the map editor.
I guess you can see the difference, the photoshopped one looks better imho.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

You are right. Thats an excellent result.

But again, Im wondering if its too good. You might have to fade and fuzz it into a background image in order to play on it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Major

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
You are right. Thats an excellent result.

But again, Im wondering if its too good. You might have to fade and fuzz it into a background image in order to play on it.

Yeah, this map editor will be the best. I will start to work on the first map, as soon as I can get the game. Thankfully my friend won't play with this game anymore, so he will give me his copy.
On the other hand this was just a little showcase of the tiles. There are ~1850 tiles for the editor, but the maps must be clear enough..too many tiles on a map can be "too good" as you've said. Gotta design the forests, mountains, lakes etc. so everything will be on the right place.
I also very like "maze" stlye maps with lot of mountains and water, those are more strategical imho compared to a map with 200 provinces with 1 mountain range only.

PS. Would you prefer the original image or the photoshopped one? I can make many changes to the original image, not just plastic effect of course.

Old September 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I don't think you've actually mentioned what game's map editor that last one is. The results are spectacular.
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Yes, very good. Excelent stuff.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Major

Quote:
Endoperez said:
I don't think you've actually mentioned what game's map editor that last one is. The results are spectacular.
Oops, sorry guys my mistake. Personally I've never ever heard about this game to be honest. The game is: Spartan. It is an older strategy game afaik [at least my friend has just told me that].

Old September 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

Hi DominionsFan,
great work with the map editors ! Excellent idea to use the AoW:SM editor for dominions :-)
Could you post a link to this spartan game from your friend? maybe i can pick up a cheap copy in ebay or in the bargain bin.
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Major

Quote:
Horst F. JENS said:
Hi DominionsFan,
great work with the map editors ! Excellent idea to use the AoW:SM editor for dominions :-)
Could you post a link to this spartan game from your friend? maybe i can pick up a cheap copy in ebay or in the bargain bin.
Sure Horst. Here is the 3dgamers link. Lot of infos there about Spartan. I now got my Spartan copy from my friend thankfully, I am already working on the first map. The only downside of this editor is, that we will need lot of hours to make a decent map, because of tile placement. [Well it is not necessarily bad, since the final maps will kick ***. ]
I think that you can still order the game from Slitherine. [They've developed the game]
Oh and one more thing. The game itself is very good, I was playing it for like 2 hours now.

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/spartan/

I will definitely use the Spartan editor that is the best to make maps for Doms 3. imho at least.

Old September 28th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

You can order both "Spartan" and its sequel "Troy" (not "Trojan" - wouldn't be a good name for a downloadable game, would it? ) from the developer and publisher Slitherine Strategie Software UK Ltd. either as boxed copy or as download. You can order it via download from matrixgames as well, btw.
All campaigns from "Spartan" are auto-importet into "Troy" upon installation, that way you can play all the campaigns with the lastest features of the "Troy" release.

For both games there are 100Turn-Demos available, which allow access to a tutorial scen and 1 small and big map each IIRC. Sadly, it looks like the map editor is not included in the demo

Have played the demos of both games and its predecessor "Chariots of War" for quite some hours, but never got around to buy the games because I don't have a credit card ...