.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 8th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road
Default Let the pretenders sleep

Just a little idea of mine:

There was a discussion in the dom 2 board some time ago, whether or not all pretenders should have the chance to regenerate afflictions. The problem was and is (at least from my point of view) that there are so many pretender types around that would be interesting to use as a combatant if it was not for a lucky hit from one militiamen to make them crippled or whatever.

I know that there are ways to get rid of those afflictions, but still, I would like an option to put your pretender to sleep in your capitol, much as the dormant option. There should rest until he fully regenerated. this could either be a certain amount of time (1 year - 5 years for each affliction) or could be combined with a new command for priests much like the call god command. Every point of priestly abilities would give a 2 percent chance of healing an affliction - having priests worth of 5 points of priestly power would have a 10 percent chance to heal an affliction.

It's a common theme in fantasy novels and the likes that some godlike creature rests for it's time to come. Imagine Sauron after loosing his ring or other villains - there should be enough around.

What do you think about this idea?
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let the pretenders sleep

Simple solution: Kill him off, go AI and start a new game in a later age .. at least that's what Sauron did

1 year are 12 turns .. waiting 5 years (60 turns!!) for an affliction to heal does not make sense in Dominions - gameplay-wise, at least. Story-wise it should be millenia (just like in all those stories you mention...), though.

Maybe simply some more pretenders should have recuperation - would be thematically fitting for quite a bunch of them. For others, on the other hand, surely not, e.g. lots of the inanimate ones.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I like the idea to have even more SC pretenders in the game :/
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Corporal

Tortanick is on a distinguished road

Speeding it up by 1000s isn't any worse than what Dominons allready did to the fantasy steryotype, after all there should only ever be one or two. Who could fight sauron in a head to head battle?

I quite like this idea
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I also like the idea, but I wonder how it should be properly done.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

They really should make pretender gods more godly. =)
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arralen said:
Simple solution: Kill him off, go AI and start a new game in a later age .. at least that's what Sauron did
Only that there were no other human players to banish him from all servers for going AI

Quote:
Arralen said:
1 year are 12 turns .. waiting 5 years (60 turns!!) for an affliction to heal does not make sense in Dominions - gameplay-wise, at least. Story-wise it should be millenia (just like in all those stories you mention...), though.
The time needed was just a random idea of mine. The process of getting rid of those afflictions should not be to easy. It should at least involve getting back to the capitol (the center of the pretenders power). if you don't like the years, there is still the idea with the priests doing the healing (but again, only if the pretender is in his capitol).

Quote:
Arralen said:

Maybe simply some more pretenders should have recuperation - would be thematically fitting for quite a bunch of them. For others, on the other hand, surely not, e.g. lots of the inanimate ones.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I like the idea to have even more SC pretenders in the game :/
Recuperation itself would be a bit too strong for my liking and should be reserved for those pretenders it fits thematically.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tortanick said:
Who could fight sauron in a head to head battle?
Elendil and Gil-Galad, just a man and an elf. There was a reason Sauron built Barad-dur and raised armies.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Corporal

Tortanick is on a distinguished road

heh, forgot about that. I was thinking of the huge flameing eye... when he has even less personal power. I really am forgetting my LoTR
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

If you are forgetting your LotR, pick up some of the old METW cards off of Ebay. First its a really good game, and it can help you remember some of the theming as well!