.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Private

GamerMan12 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Spells?

As a new player of Dom - I am interested in what the better spells are.

My contribution after a couple of demo games and 75% of the way through my first proper game is for the best or deadliest low level ritual spell is:

Arrow of Seeking (Air 3, Ench 3) - From the flavour text this spell should be called Arrow of Slaying (heads straight for the heart if it hits) As far as I can tell if successful this spell kills a random leader in the province selected. The manual says -8 on armour penetration, which sounds good, so I guess good armour protects you. In the SP game I am playing I have killed a pretender SC, and killed several leaders on the top ten list. Just one of the things you need to protect against in an MP game.

GM12
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Spells?

Yeah, Seeking Arrow is a powerful and a very frustrating spell.

As for best spells...just some, out of the top off my head.

Blade Wind (Earth 3, Evoc 4) - Certainly a winner in early age, this is a truly monstrous spell in fine-tuned squads of Basalt Kings or Agarthan Oracles with Earth Boots, Summon Earthpower and then Bladewind...of course it is far, far less useful against armoured targets but with so many things running around pretty much buck naked in the Early Era this spell is stupendously effective.

Mirror Image (Air 1, Alt 2) A nice buff spell that scales well with power. This one, AFAIK, also protects you again AoE spells! Be careful that enemies can luck out and hit through the Mirror Image.

Body Ethereal (Astral 1, um, forgot the level) Quite possibly the best protection spell before you run into magic weapons. You can also protect others with it too, albeit at a short range.

Rhuax Pact (Earth 1 Fire 1 Conj 3, Agartha Only) - An amazing little ritual, this one summons 5 magma children for 2 fire gems. Since fire gems can be easily made into gold we get 5 Magma Children for 30 gold. And that is amazingly cheap for what you get. Of course fire immune and resistant creatures nullify Magma Children and they are somewhat weak to missiles but against regular infantry and even some tougher creatures they are utterly amazing, blowtorching their way through twice larger forces.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GamerMan12 said:
Arrow of Seeking (Air 3, Ench 3) - From the flavour text this spell should be called Arrow of Slaying (heads straight for the heart if it hits) As far as I can tell if successful this spell kills a random leader in the province selected. The manual says -8 on armour penetration, which sounds good, so I guess good armour protects you. In the SP game I am playing I have killed a pretender SC, and killed several leaders on the top ten list. Just one of the things you need to protect against in an MP game.

If it's killing SC pretenders, it sounds to me like the spell has a bug - or at least, a serious balance problem. In Dom2, it would usually kill a human-sized mage (ie, HPs in the 10-12 range), but even they sometimes escaped with a chest wound. If it's killing SCs, it doing a lot more than single arrow damage.
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

These are only for the demo, of course. And the most powerful spell is rarely the best spell, because some of the "weak" spells are much more cost-effective than e.g. Wish or Summon Demon Lord.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

I've seen an AI Lich do pretty good as an SC, but I seriously doubt the AI decked out a pretender in all the gear necessary to be really lethal and then got killed by an Arrow. What kind of pretender did you kill with it? If it was a Wyrm or dragon, I'm impressed

As far as good early-game non-battlefield spells are concerned, I'm usually partial to site-searching (Dark Knowledge, Voice of Aspu, the Thaummaturgy 2 ones). Not flashy I know, but it gets you a boost in your gem economy for the big enchantments and emergency summons.
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Private

It was a Manticore pretender. I think the Ai was using a modified SC strategy with a hero doing most of the fighting backed up by the pretender. However both were on the top ten heroes list, the hero was top and had the death arena trident.

GM12
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Okay, a Manticore shouldn't die from the Arrow.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Morkilus made a good point. He meant Thaumaturgy, though, not Transmutation. The astral site-searching spell, Arcane Probing, is Evocation, and Death and some odd underwater site-searching spells are in Conjuration.

EDIT:
It might be that your arrow hit the Manticore, perhaps even to the heart. However, it wasn't necessarily enough to kill the beast. He will boast a chest wound, though. Most human heroes die after an Arrow, though. Is there a cross (indicating Death) next to the hero's name in the list of heroes?
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

Manticore could have been in strong adverse dominion, therefore perhaps had very few HP ?
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Private

No he was in his own dominion or at least neutral

GM12