.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Command Brainstorm

Quote:
7.9 #blind
This monster has no eyes and cannot be affected by
blindness.

7.22 #eyes <nbr of eyes>
Sets the number of eyes for a monster. Number of
must be at least one. The number of eyes affects
easily a monster goes blind by battle afflictions.

The #blind ability could be changed so that a blind creature doesn't benefit from eyes.

Also, I think some creatures can lose eyes without it hurting them. The cave-dwelling creatures from Underworld site are one of these, IIRC. Unfortunately, I can't recall their name ATM, so I can't search for them. (If you use Shrapnel's search, add + before EACH WORD or it doesn't work properly).
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:24 AM

First Lieutenant

Zooko is on a distinguished road

I wish to write a mod that controls how units behave in battle by expressing their behavior in a full programming language such as C, Lua, Python, Io, etc.

Then I could write a mod which would get used whenever a Celestial Master was in combat and wasn't following his master's five battle orders. The mod would be careful never to cast Breath of Winter when standing near other, cold-vulnerable commanders, for example.
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:59 PM

Corporal

RedRover is on a distinguished road

Endoperez:

1. *[edited for temper]*

2. I can read the mod manual.

3. Your mod manual quotation is completely irrelevant with respect to my post and not helpful. Current mod manual commands do not achieve the desired design effect as outlined in the body of my text.

4. I am posting this reply so other people viewing this thread will not be confused by your post.

5. Please take any further discussion to PM so we don't disrupt things any further.

6. Have a nice day
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Corporal

Endoperez: Thanks.

All: Things are cleared up. Notes relevant to this thread:
Quote:
Currently, the creatures that exist in the game that have "extended senses" are #blind.
Oh. Maybe I can't read the manual.

Apologies.

(All you had to do was say: "This command already exists. Check [reference].")

(on #blindimmune2)

Quote:
Or did you mean that one couldn't GIVE this creature a magical eye? If so, then I agree. It would keep new players from disabling their Cyclops pretender... However, #blindimmune2 isn't very good command. Maybe #noeyes or #nomagiceyes would suit this better?
You have my intent nailed with this.
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Corporal

Sites that can be Entered:

It might be useful, when modding, if the wording of the order "Enter Site" could be changed in order to better match the site's theme.

Examples:

"Descend into Doompit"

"Climb World Tree"

"Cross Ring of Fire"

"Scale Glass Mountain"

"Snatch Eye"

"Eat Bogberries"

and so on.
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

How about adding the option of asigning units with somewhat random stats?
Something like:
#str 10+random(5)
Which will give the unit 10-14 strength when it is built (so its re-randomized each time you construct a unit).
Could be fun to make units a bit more varied.
I have this in mind for a mod that adds random(2) and substracts random(2) from every single stat of all units in the game, so each unit will be unique (and it will make more sense, after all, not every human is as strong as every other human). Though it does sound a bit hard to code... (unless we will have a database with all of the units and their stats in it, in a format you can use to generate the code with a program)
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:31 PM

Corporal

Agrajag: Oooooooh! I really like this one. The AD&D system had a whole race of demons called Hordlings. Their appearance, stats, attacks, and powers were all randomized. Great stuff!

Endoperez: Here are a few questions (anyone else with definitive knowledge is invited to participate):

Query 1:
Is there a unit mod command that allows map movement but gives tactical battle immobility. A modding application would be a Siege Artillery unit (catapult, springal, trebuchet, etc.).

Query 2:
When setting up a PD spellcaster (#defcom), is there any way to ensure the caster has gems without actually creating a scenario?
What is the effect of magic richness on PD casters?
Is there a richness setting at which you can be reasonably certain that PD spellcasters will have gems?

Query 3:
I am a little confused about the #castledef command in the Manual.

The Modding Manual definition gives this as a bonus in rebuilding defensive structures when besieged. However, the Unit Database defines an ability that is a Defence stat bonus when in a fort.

Are there actually two different effects, or is this a conflict in source documents? In other words, do the C’tis City Guards have the bonus defined in the current Modding Manual, or do they have some other ability that at present we do not have the ability to mod?

-----------------------------------------------------------
All: Here are a few more ideas...

Guard(+X): The reverse of Berserk. If the unit is wounded and passes a morale check, the number is added to its Strength and Defense, and subtracted from its Attack. It will also never retreat from combat.
The application would be thematic: the Varangian Guards of Byzantium, the bodyguard of the King of Sparta (the 300), etc.

Magic Path Switching Tool: This command would immediately follow a command for random magic path selection. It changes the random path to another path. Example:
#pathswitch 0 6
This example command would turn a Fire path result from the immediately preceding command to a Nature path result.

The application of this switch would be to mold random magic path results along specific lines—for example, allowing the Random Sorcery command to redirect, say, a random Blood magic result to another chance at Astral, or even a Random Elemental result.
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RedRover said:
Query 1:
Is there a unit mod command that allows map movement but gives tactical battle immobility. A modding application would be a Siege Artillery unit (catapult, springal, trebuchet, etc.).

I haven't tested it, but #mapmove 1 and #ap 0 probably give this result. Catapults can be easily used as 60+ str units with Boulder as a weapon; Boulders have correct graphics, have range of (str/3) IIRC, and add Str to damage. Also, high str makes the unit better at breaking down castle walls.

Quote:

Query 2:
When setting up a PD spellcaster (#defcom), is there any way to ensure the caster has gems without actually creating a scenario?
What is the effect of magic richness on PD casters?
Is there a richness setting at which you can be reasonably certain that PD spellcasters will have gems?

I don't think anything can make a province defense commander to have any gems at all, as they are always newly generated for every battle.

Quote:

Query 3:
I am a little confused about the #castledef command in the Manual.

The Modding Manual definition gives this as a bonus in rebuilding defensive structures when besieged. However, the Unit Database defines an ability that is a Defence stat bonus when in a fort.

Are there actually two different effects, or is this a conflict in source documents? In other words, do the C&#8217;tis City Guards have the bonus defined in the current Modding Manual, or do they have some other ability that at present we do not have the ability to mod?

The ability is the same. Official documentation tells us why e.g. C'tis City Guards are better at defending forts, unofficial guides tell us what it does.

Quote:

Guard(+X): The reverse of Berserk. If the unit is wounded and passes a morale check, the number is added to its Strength and Defense, and subtracted from its Attack. It will also never retreat from combat.
The application would be thematic: the Varangian Guards of Byzantium, the bodyguard of the King of Sparta (the 300), etc.

Again, I'm not sure if there would be need or use for a command like this... It's more of whom they are defending, rather than who the defenders are. Because of this, I offer my proposal as an alternative:

Mindbender (+X): The unit with this ability has an unnatural ability to control feelings of others, and mere glimpse of her eyes is powerful enough to bewitch any mortal men. The thought of him dying drives those near him into depression, and they are ready to give their own lives to protect the center of their lives.
Whenever a unit with Mindbender ability is wounded, on an area (spesific size depends on the ability's power level) close to him all friendly units that fail a [morale? magic resistance? both? either?] check become enraged, and become unable to feel their own pain as they try to keep the Mindbender alive. These units never retreat, can withstand more fatique (enc: - {X/} ) and their strikes become more powerful (+ X str). Any bodyguards attached to the mindbender unit are automatically in this state as long as the mindbender is alive.

Quote:

Magic Path Switching Tool: This command would immediately follow a command for random magic path selection. It changes the random path to another path. Example:
#pathswitch 0 6
This example command would turn a Fire path result from the immediately preceding command to a Nature path result.

The application of this switch would be to mold random magic path results along specific lines&#8212;for example, allowing the Random Sorcery command to redirect, say, a random Blood magic result to another chance at Astral, or even a Random Elemental result.
I agree, this would be wonderful.
If random and preset magic paths aren't differentiated in the code, maybe some number code similar to terrain etc could be used to make it possible for a mage to receive a random magic from among chosen paths. This isn't needed if your idea works, and yours would be easier to use and understand, but other modding commands use format more akin to what I suggested.