.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 14th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Corporal

jowe01 is on a distinguished road
Default What is really new?

Just stumbled over the anouncement that Dom 3 is approaching release. Then read the features list and looked at the screenshots. Big disappointment.

What is really new in Dom 3 compared to Dom 2? The graphics seem to be largely unchanged (at least they are as horrible as in Dom 2). Ok, I also do not care too much for graphics. So what are the revolutonary changes in game mechanics? Frankly, I cannot find them. Everything is just Dom 2 with some minor improvements like you would expect from a bonus patch or at best from an extension. Is there anything really important which is truly new?
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:06 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is really new?

Quote:
jowe01 said:
Just stumbled over the anouncement that Dom 3 is approaching release. Then read the features list and looked at the screenshots. Big disappointment.

What is really new in Dom 3 compared to Dom 2? The graphics seem to be largely unchanged (at least they are as horrible as in Dom 2). Ok, I also do not care too much for graphics. So what are the revolutonary changes in game mechanics? Frankly, I cannot find them. Everything is just Dom 2 with some minor improvements like you would expect from a bonus patch or at best from an extension. Is there anything really important which is truly new?
This is a sequel. It is a sequel I enjoy playing much, much more. There are many new nations. There are many new ideas. Balance has been changed considerably. It's harder to rely only on summons, and almost all of the buff spells have been changed in one way or another (e.g. Breath of Winter doesn't kill, Fire Shield is weaker and higher in the research level, all protection-increasing spells result in increased vulnerability against one of the elements, or poison), there are now nation-spesific spells that have to be researched so that Jotun player can't cast Illwinter on turn 7, and it gives many other nations access to very cool national spells.

I can't give you one big chance. I can tell you of a game that is much better than its prequel.
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jowe01 said:

It's true, the basic mechanics and engine are largely unchanged.

That doesn't mean there isn't a ton of things for dominions players to look forward to. Having played dom3, and going back for an occasional dom2 game, you really feel the difference. It's a lot of little things added together that make it a new game, not one big thing you can point to (personally, I would have been disappointed if they had opted to spend much time revamping the graphics engine instead).

If I was to point to the most 'stand out' new changes, I think it would have to be the new random system, the gold/resource/fort changes, and concept of eras. Each of these changes the way the game is played quite dramatically. The first opens up new ways for each nation to (and each type of mage) to be more unique. The second makes for larger battles, and gives lighter troops a real niche. And the last one gives the whole game a great sense of history, each age has a story and a unique feel, and add to dominions already epic feeling.

These aren't the only things, there are other new features and details too numerous to mentions (the age system, reworked routing to make more sense, gods can awaken, random maps, darkvision, magic site modding, rebalance of summons, armor spells give vulnerabilities, you can now reduce province defense on the turn you buy it, astral horrors much more unique and deadly, when you create a game it now takes your there automatically rather than back to the main screen, satyrs causing unrest, hordes of new units, spells, nations and items, blood hunting difficulty linked to magic site frequency, death blessing reworked, more tool-tips/transparency in the interface, etc.).

If you are looking for something that looks and plays radically different from dom2, you won't find it. Myself, I'm just glad they kept what made dom2 so great, and made it better.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

Well, if you play SP, just that the AI builds castles will get them attack you with different armies for each nation instead of everyone attacking you with the same crap (slingers, militia, etc).
It was odd that ashen empire attacks you with tons of light units and that an army of vanheim had only a very few national units (skin shifters, hirdman).
I hope that now they bless their units or design a god to have fire 9 instead of 8, or instead of lvl 3 lvl 4.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

The Awakening mechaning seems to have changed the game dynamics quite a bit too.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Improved AI is a huge deal for me. The graphics were improved, by the way. If you were looking for something like Warcraft 2 -> Warcraft 3, well, you're not dealing with Blizzard here.

So OP: I'm curious, besides graphics, what were you looking for in improvements?
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jowe01 said:

More units, more spells, more nations, more themes, more items, better AI, and improved modding ability.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Sergeant

okiN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Morkilus said:you're not dealing with Blizzard here.
Damn good thing, too.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
okiN said:
Quote:
Morkilus said:you're not dealing with Blizzard here.
Damn good thing, too.
I second that
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Why the Blizzard dislike? They've made quality games if you ask me.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.