.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So what is this new game Demigod?

The game is basically exactly like DoTA.

It's not a real time strategy game. You only control one unit. You don't build any buildings. The point is that you have 5 or so people on one side, and 5 or so on the other. There are "lanes" which are predetermined paths for the team creeps. Creeps have a lot of hitpoints, and do the majority of the "pushing" which is where you knock down enemy "towers" which are like defensive turrets.

The point of the game is to kill your opponents, which gives you gold and makes them lose gold, while "creeping" (killing the enemy creeps for gold and xp) more efficiently then the opposing team. That gives you sufficient power to kill their towers, and finally go into their base to kill their final structure.

It's actually quite fun, and extremely team oriented. Good reflexes and fast thinking are a must.

Jazzepi
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

I caught wind of this about a month or so ago and it seemed rather appealing. I like real-time strategy but I don't like the building aspect of most RTS. It reduces most games to optimized build queues and micro skills when things heat up. That doesn't sound like a strategy game, but rather a tactical game.

What would make or break the game for me is the actual viability of different strategies. If the strategies end up being one tenth as diverse as Dominions, then I would be pleased to add it to my collection. Though I can easily see them falling short of such a goal.

I'll be holding my breath.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

I am surprised they won't get their *** sued off by such a blatant copyright infringement attempt. At least the game looks pretty though.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road

What copyright would they be infringing, anyway?

The characters don't look all that similar to anything else to me, and the gameplay seems to be quite a ways from any other commercial product.

(The Warcraft III map it's clearly based off is A) fan-created and B) a blatant rip-off of a rip-off in the first place, not to mention stolen if I remember my community drama. While the long-forgotten creator of the original Starcraft Aeon-of-Strife-style map might pop out of the woodworks and sue them, I somehow doubt it.)
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Corporal

theenemy is on a distinguished road

They kinda stole the Dom concept with their 'demigods'.
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calchet View Post
What copyright would they be infringing, anyway?

The characters don't look all that similar to anything else to me, and the gameplay seems to be quite a ways from any other commercial product.

(The Warcraft III map it's clearly based off is A) fan-created and B) a blatant rip-off of a rip-off in the first place, not to mention stolen if I remember my community drama. While the long-forgotten creator of the original Starcraft Aeon-of-Strife-style map might pop out of the woodworks and sue them, I somehow doubt it.)
I found these after a quick glance:

I looked at the so called demigods and found Kerrigan from Starcraft in string panties, the colossus from the Shadow of the Colossus, a german ubermensch with a colossal "snipercrossbow", a hydralisk from Starcraft, a chaos soldier from Warhammer... the list goes on and on.
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Disclaimer:
Above posters are hopefully joking as copyright infringement doesn't work that way.

Gameplay isn't protected by copyright law (though it might be protected by a patent).

Copyright infringement is the illegal reproduction or the derivative work created from an original work.
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

If they did not use the code, and they did not use the names AND likenesses (remember: these must be used together, and resemblance /= "likeness"), they did not infringe.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

I was a big fan/player of Age of 'x' games until age of mythology, and I can swear there are less strategics and tactics involved in those games than in the average sim something production.

It's all about logistics (but maybe one can argue this is a part of strategic science) and shorcuts and nervous clickings all around the place (and loads more of those two).

The most frustrating with RTS, to my mind, is the fact your damned troops never have a clue of what to do when they face an ennemy. The Sims of my sister are a tad more reactive. It's rather like being the captain of an army of lemings.

All in all, if you've never played a RTS, don't start, or go for those without building options/gestion. You'll waste less gaming time. By the time you really get the trick with more classical (age of...) RTS, you'll realise it's only pure reflex clicking.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Agreed, your average RTS isn't strategy, it's about learning the most efficient build queues and clicking as accurately and rapidly as possibly.

The AI tends to be awful: if you aren't there to oversee something personally, it's pretty hopeless. For instance, many troops have a "trigger" distance to fight or do something only when attacked, so large groups of individuals can be picked off because they don't band together to fight back.

I can also forgive a lot of borrowing. There's barely one original idea in all of the Warhammer world, for instance, and your average fantasy novel has virtually nothing to distinguish itself from hundreds that have come before.

Last edited by Agema; March 16th, 2009 at 05:59 AM..