.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite nations so far?

Argh, I had no time to try out all of the new nations at all..heh. Real life things can suck you in occasionally.
Anyways LE Agartha is pretty cool, also my all time favourite, AE Ermor. I also like Jomon.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Sergeant

Potatoman is on a distinguished road

Jomon with the ninja is pretty nice. And by nice I mean totally awesome. *cough* realultimatepower *cough*.
My favorite faction is probably Time of the Aboleths Ry'leh, or EA Tien Chi though.

Spring & Autumn Tien Chi seems to be a powerhouse EA with their awesome sacred warriors, great bowmen and trampling nobles with great stats.

Time of the Aboleths, on the other hand, seems about as weak as you can get, despite the entertaining theme. Their two enormous problems are that 1) none of your decent commanders can leave the sea and 2) none of your troops that can leave the sea have morale higher than 8.
Oh, and none of your mages have the paths to cast any amphibious summons or forge amulets of the fish.
I do imagine they trounce Atlantis & Oceania rather badly though.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Sergeant

Stryke11 is on a distinguished road

1st post!

I don't know how you all can play so many nations so quickly. I got the game right away and have so far only managed a 1 on 1 using middle age Ulm, which turned out to be identical to Dom2 Ulm, and I am at the halfway point in a game with early age Ermor. I really like Ermor. From what I read on this board and the Dom2 board the undead Ermor is a favorite here but I never liked it. I have been pretty thematic with the nation during this game, though. My pretender is the divine emperor, even though weak he fits. I have been trying two strategies, with a "good" army in the north with the blessable cavalry, the arch bishops, and living troops, and then an "slowly turning evil" army in the south with augur elders summoning armies of skeletons. My only beef is too many of the units are unnecessary. Why would you recruit Asscenci or Roraus (spelled wrong I know) when the Hastatus are only a little more expensive and better troops? I don't think I have hired one Leve the entire game, either. C'tis Aux troops are best bang for your buck, if not in cold climates.

I think next I'll try Sauromatia.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

heh Ermor is a favorite? not since Dom II pre cb I'm afraid ...
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

My list:
Jomon - My most favorite, (yeah I like ninjas too )
Kailasa and Patala - I use them mostly for powerful magic and strong sacred units. Usually use them with imprisoned pretender for nice blessing (N10 in my most recent game - yes 10, not a typo )and good scales (heat preference help them a lot). Ability to field wide variety of infantry and missiles is a big plus too. One of the rare nations whose national mages can cast petrify is BIG plus in MP games.
Pythium - I always liked them and with angels they simply rock. My biggest favorite for ME games.
MA Agartha - Again, no typo. ME Agartha is half way between EA and LA when it comes to units and they have some nice statues to summon too. They have ability to field both old agarthan troops that are amphibious (excellent for underwater expansion) and heavy infantry at their disposal (something EA Agartha misses badly). Together sacred troops and strong mages/priests they are formidable ME force.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Corporal

Tortanick is on a distinguished road

Pangea would be my favourite nation for its story if they hadant made an unbelivible late era: New age and Carrion Woods can't mix. I don't think anyone did the rise of civiliseation in greek halfmen before.

Without Pangea I can't say, when writing this post I went through Ermor (pre death undead, wow!) Ulm (Love the idea of magic fearing people) Maragon (Christians, and none of the nice christian whitewashed revisionist history )

For gameplay I'm currently a fan of Caleum. Mammoths and Cold 3!!
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Daynarr said:
MA Agartha - Again, no typo. ME Agartha is half way between EA and LA when it comes to units and they have some nice statues to summon too. They have ability to field both old agarthan troops that are amphibious (excellent for underwater expansion) and heavy infantry at their disposal (something EA Agartha misses badly). Together sacred troops and strong mages/priests they are formidable ME force.
Wow, I guess "Era" and "Age" as in "ME" and "MA" really are intechangable

I've only a chance to really play EA(E) Abysia and Vanheim. Both are a blast, but I really can't get into Abysia's Burning Ones. They seem so much like overcosted Jotuns. Maybe with a Water bless, but that is so... nonthematic and icky. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img]
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

I really like the various "japanese" nations - EA Yomi, MA Shinuyama, LA Jomon.
They're well done, rich in strategies, have nice special spells and creatures, and are rather powerful (at least EA/MA, I'm less sure for LA).
Didn't try everything at all, and should try R'lyeh for sure !
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Jomon is definitely one of the stronger late era nations. They have really versatile mages and you can get away with a pure samurai archer army for a long long long time ... Just make sure to capture surrounding mountains first...
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

EA Pangea so far. Just looked at the early age (i am a slow player).