.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.81 - lots of new indies, new map (using the brand new map comma

No, honestly I haven't. I've been a bit busy with other stuff lately (all of my big projects are due!), so I haven't even restarted any of the nations I was working on. I'll see if I can work some time in this weekend.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.81 - lots of new indies, new map (using the brand new map comma

big dominions projects or RL
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:30 AM

Lieutenant General

hmmm I'd love to make a space algae nation based on the use of the carrion woods spell. I could make an AI nation (overpowered that is) of it on a map if I only could think of a way to make sure that spell is up all the time for an AI player.

A green tide washing over the galaxy (lol orcs have competition then) It's another mechanic than orcs they'd basicly need no cash so I could give them a death domain (suffocating everything and killign all non plant live) It would sort of be a pan nation but then really nature strikes back but they've given up on the dryads, centaurs and minotaurs who in the end just used wood and mined and breathed oxygen like all other scum animal lifeforms.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Well, there's no way to force the AI to do anything it doesn't want to, but you could make it a 0 gem research level 0 spell that can be cast by whatever they start with. That should be enough to convince it to cast.

Either that or always start them as human and switch them to ai after the first turn.
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Well, a global can be taken down. I'd suggest just trying to build the Carrion Woods into the nation.

Also, why Space Algae if they might not be able to start in space? You might want to broaden it to simply a race of sentient plants who can 'uplift' other plants. They might be interesting, though I'm not sure how to differentiate them from the Orcs mechanics-wise. Perhaps Plants could have less chaff (other than through spells like "Uplift Grass" or something; lore-wise smaller, weaker plants have a lower chance of being uplifted) and have to GoR their commanders, going with the 'giving sentience' theme.

Actually, this sounds like a cool idea. They would start with one commander/scout (a multihero, perhaps) and a few units, and have to use a unique GoR spell (for maybe 5 gems) to gain more commanders. Some units would have a domsummon ability, some would be able to use turns to summon more (after being GoR'd, of course). Their only recruitables (and their PD) would be plant-worshipping tribes, with maybe a (bad, obviously) commander and an also-bad mage who could summon a few poor-quality units and GoR them. There could be a minor emphasis on poison.

Trees could be the elite warriors and researchers, some sort of fungus as the assassins and scouts, ivy the poisoners (they would also reproduce quickly), and thing in between these roles (mushrooms which poison and also act as excellent mages, Perhaps crops which would grow slowly but research reasonably well and produce tribal members. Grass would be to chaff as chaff is to elites. They would have all sorts of different units!

I may just do this. Later.
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Lieutenant General

I'd suggest just trying to build the Carrion Woods into the nation --> how?

actually I had that GOR idea too.. I was thinking just getting troops of carrion woods and then having the rare ones be more powerfull mages after GOR) but you'd be able to GOR al the units to get some basic researchers.

Since carrion woods works best with forest it would fit the space race thingie.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
I'd suggest just trying to build the Carrion Woods into the nation --> how?
I'm thinking we have to be clever. Perhaps mod whatever the spell would summon to have a small domkill effect, as well as the "reanimators" who cast the spell (which would become a reanimation command solely, rather than also a global). You'd copy the nation from Pan to keep the forest-affected reanimation. The increased effect with Growth could maybe be modeled by giving units a weak #onebattlespell (that is the command, isn't it?) that increases in power with Growth, making them stronger wit growth rather than increasing numbers.

We'd keep most of the effects--dying population, increased effectiveness with Forest and Growth--while losing the problem of relying on a global. It would end up somewhat different but fairly similar, which is I think good since we don't want to just copy LA Pan, do we?
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Lieutenant General

well there are several things against this: reanimators give the option to get exponential growth and would make the race even more similar to insects. with the carrion woods spell your can't get exponential growth, just an increase based on your provinces.

We can't onebattlespell modded spells and I don't think the spell you want already exists.

I admit that my solution wouldn't be very usable by the AI (though I doubt the AI will get the best out of reanimating either.) Being similar to current vanilla nations isn't a problem it's actually a good thing. The problem is that the nation would be VERY VERY reliant on that spell and has no back up strategies if it's brought down. (which would make it sort of interesting to keep saving gems so you could recast it or keep reinforcign it). This would fit the theme since mothernature seems to put all bets on plants and has stopped using mammals.

I sort of thought about your plants idea too and I certainly like the story you are telling (fungi/trees/etc etc) but somehow I can more easily imagine algae getting into space than mushrooms and trees...

If I use the carrion woods spell I'd have like 7 or 8 troops which could all be GoRed to 7-8 different commanders. That is a decent basis for a nation with added summons. A think to keep in mind is that you probably can't generate leaders directly with carrion woods (I think)

Another thing I'm thinking of using is the eater of the dead. I like the idea of an increasing mass of algae (?!?) that grows while adding biomass and then become uncontrolable.
I could just change the pic and the stats of the 4 eater of the dead forms then I'd make the first form quite a bit weaker. If you get that form as a rare from forests (I think you'll get multipele of them since I doubt the uniqueness is checked that way) then you could GOR them and you'd haev multipe grown masses .. and eventually they could go on a rampage (That form will be plenty powerfull still ) I'm not sure wethere they'd shift shape if they are not GORed but I guess they might since it could be checked regardless of being a leader or not.. not sure if they'd go on a rampage then though. I think I'll experiment with this sometime
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM

Lieutenant General

hahaha this was great.. so I'm testing a v0.0001 for the algae.. and the spell is up and working.. I'm getting critters in my few provinces etc etc all using vine ogre and vine men sprites...

and then a province gets attacked by indies real vine men and vine ogres.. of course those would never be able to kill my 100% regen creatures.. but of course mine have no leaders so they route
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:35 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I bet the eater of the dead is unique.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs