.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leadership levels upped, I see?

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
True. What's funny is how I never do this is SP, but only because I don't always enjoy winning a game as efficiently as possible; which is to rely on summoned armies. I can certianly see how, even in a long game, death 3 is choice because you should already have your gem income by the time your gold income begins to wane. Heck, for slow players like myself, Death 3 could be a real asset to force me to play a more efficient game.

=$=
Yeah in SP which i enjoy a lot too i never play effectively.

But in MP my cruel opponents force me to not play as sloppy as in SP .
I am still obsessed with my idea to win a SP game vs. impossible AIs with just using national troops and commanders. So far i have never succeeded at this challenge but always enjoy it to try it again . Death nations and underwater nations do not count as valid nations for this challenge .
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I would guess that another strategy would be a strong dominion wall, strong defense (jutenheim), and holding out until his tactics kill him off. Depending of course on which nation he is playing.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Boron said:
I am still obsessed with my idea to win a SP game vs. impossible AIs with just using national troops and commanders. So far i have never succeeded at this challenge but always enjoy it to try it again . Death nations and underwater nations do not count as valid nations for this challenge .
That sounds like an interesting challenge. By death nations do you mean Ermor or any nation that has national death mages? Do you allow battleship summoning (elementals,skeletons,false horrors etc)?
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Boron said:
Quote:
BigJMoney said:
True. What's funny is how I never do this is SP, but only because I don't always enjoy winning a game as efficiently as possible; which is to rely on summoned armies. I can certianly see how, even in a long game, death 3 is choice because you should already have your gem income by the time your gold income begins to wane. Heck, for slow players like myself, Death 3 could be a real asset to force me to play a more efficient game.

=$=
Yeah in SP which i enjoy a lot too i never play effectively.

But in MP my cruel opponents force me to not play as sloppy as in SP .
I plan to make 2 total conversion mods. The first will be a basic fantasy based mod with dwarves, elves etc.

The second mod will be the same, except that all troops for the nations and their summons will be stronger, but they will cost the same mana/resource/gold. However 1 nation's troops won't be upgraded, and that will be the human player's nation. Imho it will be almost impossible to win against the AIs on the hardest diff. level with my upcoming settings in that TC mod.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:38 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
alexti said:
Quote:
Boron said:
That sounds like an interesting challenge. By death nations do you mean Ermor or any nation that has national death mages? Do you allow battleship summoning (elementals,skeletons,false horrors etc)?
I've tried the game with the following restrictions:
- only national troops (and pretender can be used) and mercenaries can be used (no indy mages);
- no ritual summons;
- no creature generators (neither permanent, like devil generator nor battlefield ones such as living water, lifelong protection etc);
- no gem generators;

To my surprise I've won without much difficulty, which is probably because I've played Jotunheim. My plan was to use blessed woodsmen and later on use niefel jarls as mini-SC. Considering that research didn't look like a high priority I took drain-2. I've got monolith with E9W6S4 (dom 6) which left me with enough points for decent scales. Early on I wasn't buying mages at all - just woodsmen and jotun jarls to lead them. I had to wait a bit until I got enough woodsmen to keep a good line (to avoid being surrounded) before expanding, but then it went easy - I've steamrolled over indy and my AI neighbours (Man, Arco and Abysia). I only bought few mages to search for sites. After getting construction researched (mostly by pretender) I've bought some more mages and equipped them with skull mentors. I've tried to use Niefel Jarls as SCs, but it didn't work particularly well, they were only useful to take poorly defended provinces, so in the end I've conquered everybody mostly with woodsmen. Afterwards, I think it might be easier to play any other Jotunheim theme - I had virtually no mage support on the battlefield.

Though, I've played on small map without Ermor or water nations (with them things would be more difficult I think). I suspect this approach wouldn't be that successful (but perhaps still viable) on a large map, but I wanted to finish it before Dom3 anyway

This strategy will likely work with any other bless-efficient nation.
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Major

Quote:
alexti said:
Quote:
alexti said:
Quote:
Boron said:
I've tried the game with the following restrictions:
- only national troops (and pretender can be used) and mercenaries can be used (no indy mages);
- no ritual summons;
- no creature generators (neither permanent, like devil generator nor battlefield ones such as living water, lifelong protection etc);
- no gem generators;

To my surprise I've won without much difficulty, which is probably because I've played Jotunheim. My plan was to use blessed woodsmen and later on use niefel jarls as mini-SC. Considering that research didn't look like a high priority I took drain-2. I've got monolith with E9W6S4 (dom 6) which left me with enough points for decent scales. Early on I wasn't buying mages at all - just woodsmen and jotun jarls to lead them. I had to wait a bit until I got enough woodsmen to keep a good line (to avoid being surrounded) before expanding, but then it went easy - I've steamrolled over indy and my AI neighbours (Man, Arco and Abysia). I only bought few mages to search for sites. After getting construction researched (mostly by pretender) I've bought some more mages and equipped them with skull mentors. I've tried to use Niefel Jarls as SCs, but it didn't work particularly well, they were only useful to take poorly defended provinces, so in the end I've conquered everybody mostly with woodsmen. Afterwards, I think it might be easier to play any other Jotunheim theme - I had virtually no mage support on the battlefield.

Though, I've played on small map without Ermor or water nations (with them things would be more difficult I think). I suspect this approach wouldn't be that successful (but perhaps still viable) on a large map, but I wanted to finish it before Dom3 anyway

This strategy will likely work with any other bless-efficient nation.
Yes this is very possible on a small map, however on a large map with impossible AIs...I don't think that it would work. I might give it a try.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
DominionsFan said:
Yes this is very possible on a small map, however on a large map with impossible AIs...I don't think that it would work. I might give it a try.
I've tried a large map with Machaka (F9N9 sacred spiders) and things went pretty well again (even better than with Jotuns I think). I'm surprised how much different the game is when you're not allowed to use summons. Now I have tons of gems and now I understand why AI likes to give a lot of gems to every magic caster Drain 3 seems to be a way to go because there's no big rush to research anymore and later gems can be spent to forge research boosters. Amazingly, it seems that with this strategy it's actually easier to win vs impossible AI. I have never tried this strategy before, but it works really well. Once again I've easily run over 3 neighbours (Arco, Man and Pangaea) with my spiders (and they rarely die) and now (by turn 40) I have the largest empire with large spider army (ability to recruit them in capital only hurts a bit though) and I can afford expensive mages to provide serious firepower support, so effectively I've already overcome advantages impossible AI had. I'll try to play a bit further to make sure nothing unexpected happens...

Dominions doesn't stop to amaze me I used this tactics in MP blitzes, but why I've never thought that it may work in a larger game?
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
alexti said:
I used this tactics in MP blitzes, but why I've never thought that it may work in a larger game?
I'm also a fan of Machaka yet I play most large or huge maps... I moved to different nations because I hated having the worst province defense.

Maybe Dominions_4 will have a feature where gamers can cast spells and/or spend gold to upgrade the units of province defense.
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:06 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Quote:
alexti said:
I used this tactics in MP blitzes, but why I've never thought that it may work in a larger game?
I'm also a fan of Machaka yet I play most large or huge maps... I moved to different nations because I hated having the worst province defense.

Maybe Dominions_4 will have a feature where gamers can cast spells and/or spend gold to upgrade the units of province defense.
Err... What about the globals? You know, the one with mechanical men, and the other with underwater monsters defending your provinces, and the one with the dead being animated to fight as vine creatures?
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Major

Quote:
alexti said:
Quote:
DominionsFan said:
I've tried a large map with Machaka (F9N9 sacred spiders) and things went pretty well again (even better than with Jotuns I think). I'm surprised how much different the game is when you're not allowed to use summons. Now I have tons of gems and now I understand why AI likes to give a lot of gems to every magic caster Drain 3 seems to be a way to go because there's no big rush to research anymore and later gems can be spent to forge research boosters. Amazingly, it seems that with this strategy it's actually easier to win vs impossible AI. I have never tried this strategy before, but it works really well. Once again I've easily run over 3 neighbours (Arco, Man and Pangaea) with my spiders (and they rarely die) and now (by turn 40) I have the largest empire with large spider army (ability to recruit them in capital only hurts a bit though) and I can afford expensive mages to provide serious firepower support, so effectively I've already overcome advantages impossible AI had. I'll try to play a bit further to make sure nothing unexpected happens...

Dominions doesn't stop to amaze me I used this tactics in MP blitzes, but why I've never thought that it may work in a larger game?

wow interesting. I will try it also. I've never used this tactic in the MP games to be honest, and usually we play on "small" maps. Hm..perhaps I should give it a try in MP also.