.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 20th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Private

Ezco is on a distinguished road
Default Multiplayer mayhem newbie seeking advice

Hi all. I'm currently playing my first MP ever. As MA Ulm and I have somehow survived towards end game. But before questions little background. According to graphs I'm doing average and Marignon is currently leading and Jotunheim second. Marignon has already thrown a global enchantment(gale gate). I feel the late game is starting but have no idea what to do or what strategies I should use. I made a newbie mistake and took that forge lord as pretender with 1 earth and 1 fire . What a stupid pick for Ulm.

1. What are my late game strategies? My mages suck my pretender sucks and I don't have many gems either. All I can think of is some kind of SC golems. But what to make them wear?

2. What can I expect from Marignon and Jotunheim? Marignon player is no newbie and should I watch out for seeking arrows or something more evil?

3. I have no border with Marignon but because my loyal ally Abysia is fighting a losing war (I think) with them I feel no option but to go to his help or else Marignon quickly out grows everyone else. Funny actually because if Abysia would be winning I would maybe backstab him . My final question is this. Can good diplomatic skills help compensate my not so good tactical skills?

4. If you are playing at the same game you will now close this post and forget everything you read here. OK?

5. Thank you for your input. I guess I'll just have to play more aggressive because things are not going to be easier for me later and its a victory points game. I'm already trying to get everyone in an alliance against Jotunheim and Marignon, but its hard to concentrate when you have Atlantians as neighbour and no means of entering oceans. But I'm not happy giving more details on my game because my enemies have eyes everywhere. This game has become unhealthy obsession for me. Thank you Illwinter & Shrapnel Games.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multiplayer mayhem newbie seeking advice

Well, as MA Ulm your options are limited. What kind of research do you have? What turn number is the game at?

As for question 3., yes. Depending on the victory conditions and whether or not the game will ever reach the "X has ascended" message, you might "win" without ever defeating anyone in a war.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

Golems well equiped (with astral cap) can cast teleport to capture weakly defended provinces in any place of the map. You can actually teleport more than one.
tht way you can help your ally. use your spyes to spot where.

Golem's pros:

-Is a research bonus because you get it while you were searching for high level items (school contruction)
-Mindless: immune to fear and some mind affecting spells (doesn't rout?).
-Lifeless: Doesn't get encumbrance so doesn't get fatigue unless casting spells (just cast body ethereal).
-Big (lots of hit points).
-Astral magic (teleport) costs pearls so if you clam hoard you may get some of these.

Cons:
-Lifeless: Doesn't regenerate.
-Astral Magic: vulnerable to magic duel(or is it mind duel?).
-Low attack value: You must spend slots to get attack bounus (burning pearl?) or a weapon with attack bonus (fire sword?).

Maybe Im forgetting something.
reinvigoration items are unnessesary. Quickness items are good. a cumbersome armor is ok. maybe shield and weapon because it's low attack and not amidextrous.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Also, make use of your forge bonus. If you can't support your ally militarily, offer to build items for him.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

I have been in this position several times, made it to the end, reasonably powerful position and no idea whatsoever of how to close the game down. My end game sucks in MP.

Possibly your most potent weapon is diplomacy, try and get everyone to gang up on Marignon in 1st place, then if you finish him off, gang up on the 2nd place empire etc...

Your golem SC is probably your 2nd best weapon, get astral tempest, cast ritual of returning on them, try to give them defensive items such as awe, fear, protection, defense, then teleport them in and hurt large armies.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ulm generally tends to suck at magic but balances that with heavy armored troops. With castles, defense points put into important provinces, and temples.. you can still push damage in the physical and priestly world even while they are slinging their magics. Its true that the longer they get to research the worse off you are going to be but it might not be too late to put a strong foot forward.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Empower your mages and make boosters by either trading for them or getting them yourselves. As you feel your gold is getting less than important, use three scouts to blood hunt your 5-9K range population provinces for some blood slaves to empower into blood. Site search thoroughly EVERYTHING either with indie mages or mercenaries.

try to concentrate ESPECIALLY on grabbing the sorcery branches (astral, death, nature, blood) they tend to get incredibly strong late game.

Lastly diplomacy is definitely valid, make sure you're looking at the two most important graphs though when determining top nation (research and Gems)
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:38 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

If fighting Jotunheim, I would recruit a bunch of cheap non-Ulmish light troops to wear out and take attacks from giants. Ulmish armor is only wasted against giants.

If fighting Marignon, beware massing too many targets in one province, because with enough research they can call down an army-blasting ritual fire spell.

Diplomacy can replace tactics up to a point...
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PvK said:
If fighting Jotunheim, I would recruit a bunch of cheap non-Ulmish light troops to wear out and take attacks from giants. Ulmish armor is only wasted against giants.

If fighting Marignon, beware massing too many targets in one province, because with enough research they can call down an army-blasting ritual fire spell.

Diplomacy can replace tactics up to a point...
I agree but also remember PvK, that the fires spells are armor piercing only. Ulm troops actually stands a good chance of getting out of them mostly unscathed.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

You say it is a victory point game, so I would advise in focusing on what you can do to get enough points to win. Let this analysis guide your strategy. Is it certain key provinces? If so, can you get several teleporting golems and go for several key provinces in the same turn? You may need to have a lot of scouts out to see how they are held first to increase your chances of success.

Searching for gems is a very good suggestion, no matter what your plan is. You can never have too many gems…