.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Remove Artifacts?

Aw.. still needs to be tested though
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Thanks for your help!
No problem, was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote the earlier but I just scavenged the code from an earlier mod by KO removing all level 6 spells and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal
I don't see why everything at cont 8 would automatically be an artifact. Guess someone should try to find out though.
I can confirm that moving constr8 items to level 2 makes them freely craft able, so at least it works the other way around.

Woah woah woah WOAH!

Wait a second, back the truck up here.

Are we implying that "Construction Level 8" has a hardcoded Artifact item restriction? So if, for example, all the Artifacts were moved to Cons9, would they then also be freely craftable??

I could see the value in doing so, while just removing a few of the most insane pieces, like Kurgi's Gift, The Aegis, The Ark, etc, while still allowing global access to the rest of the selection. Then there is still the late game excitement and brutality of Artifact warfare, but no one can corner the market.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, constr 8 has the artifact restriction hardcoded.
No, you can't move items to an odd number construction level, they simply behave as if they were an item available at one level lower than the one you allotted.
I.e. moving artifacts to level 9 wouldn't be any change
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

I think that the best "compromize" would be to take away the truly powerful artifacts and leave some of the weaker ones, so that reaching con8 would have some reward. I mean, it's not like I instantly lose if my opponent got Krupp's Bracers before me.

Looking at the artifacts, I think that these coulde remain:

One-Handed Weapons:
O'al Kan's Spectre, The Summit, Twin Spears, Rod of Death, Picus % Proca's Axe of Rulership.

Two-handed weapons:
Flailing Hands, Sword of Justice, The Oath Rod of Kurgi

Shields:
Barrier

Armors:
Aseftik's Armor, Robe of Calius the Druid, Fenrir's Pelt

Helmets:
Crown of the Ivy King,

Items:
The Flying Ship, Tomes of Power, Krupp's Bracers, Percival, Holger the Head, Alchemist's Stone, Bell of Cleansing, Ardmon's Soul Trap, Igor Könhelm's Tome

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post:
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Lieutenant General

I've been thinking about your post, and since this is intended to be for a package mod for large games, I'm tentatively going to break all Artifacts into 3 groups -

Minor Artifacts - Moved to Cons6 to allow multiple construction, perhaps with increased gem costs

Major Artifacts - Stay at Cons8, perhaps with increased gem costs

Insane Artifacts - the ones that truly can change the face of the game, singular artifacts that can ruin armies (a la The Ark), these will be removed entirely

So for example, Krupp's will likely have an increased cost to construct, but will be at Cons6. Asfetik's Armor will retain its high cost, and move to Cons6. Monolith Armor, The Barrier, The Flying Ship, The Magic Lamp, are good examples of Artifacts that will remain at Cons8. Aegis, The Ark, The Chalice, are some that would be removed to even the playing field.

I'll try to work out the full list later when I get the chance. The mod that Redeyes posted should make an excellent template to work from, thanks again, Red. <3
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:23 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are we implying that "Construction Level 8" has a hardcoded Artifact item restriction? So if, for example, all the Artifacts were moved to Cons9, would they then also be freely craftable??
Yes, level 8+ is for artifacts. All the "unforgeable" artifacts are at level 12. Somebody came up with a way to research Construction up to level 12, by having such insane research that he researches four consecutive levels of Construction at the same time, and he could forge the "unforgeable" artifacts then. That's probably why they're not at 10.

Quote:
Insane Artifacts - the ones that truly can change the face of the game, singular artifacts that can ruin armies (a la The Ark), these will be removed entirely
I don't know if you can "remove them entirely", as they probably would still be wishable. If there's some reset-like mod command, you can make them useless, though.
Emergency comic relief
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Also, internally the levels are half those numbers, artifacts are 4, unforgables are 6, and so on. The construction level just has to be twice that value, or rather, the construction level is halved to determine what can be forged at which level. Probably the same applies to the mod commands, which is why it makes no difference to use even numbers or the next odd number, rounding down.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Quote:
I don't know if you can "remove them entirely", as they probably would still be wishable. If there's some reset-like mod command, you can make them useless, though.

Well like I said, if someone wants to have an S9 mage with Alteration 9 spend 100 pearls for one of those artifacts, I don't see it as the end of the world, as it's far more expense and effort than it currently is, for those items. Plus, with Forging, once you get that item, it's sort of yours forever, but if everyone who really wants The Chalice knows that they'll HAVE to Wish for it, then multiple people may go that route, and they can Wish it back and forth all they want.

As far as the integers for crafting level go, that's interesting, but like I said, I think that this solution will work out pretty well. There won't be nearly as many actual Uniques to forge when using this mod, but there will be enough to make it a worthy research goal sooner or later. Oddly, I think even more people will shoot for Cons6 early on, with the added goodies there. Lucky for my conscience that this will be coupled with my thug/SC summons package, so everyone should have access to something worth putting that gear on.