.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 28th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nominate the most useless spell here!

I just feel sorry for him as it seems he can control this behavior of his. Hopefully he sought some help before he actually hurt someone for real.
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

Back to sucky spells, here's a good one: Flare. Fireball is only one research step higher, and is virtually identical except for much lighter fatigue.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Okay, lots of input; very cool. Ironically, the two who were concerned about "I'm breaking rule #1..." didn't, and a few other people broke the rule, but it's not too bad because the thread hasn't gotten spammed, thrown off topic or turned into flame.

I'll give this more time for people to find it. Please remember to stay on topic, and if you look into the grimoire and wish to change your mind, go right ahead.

Additionally, if any of these spells have been affected positively by the CB mod, that's pertinent info.

=$=

PS -- In case anyone is offended by the title of this thread, I am sorry. Consider looking from another perspective. Read it as intended, "The most useless out the rest of the content." I'm simply being fair. No matter how wonderful the game is or ever could be, there will always be one spell that will be "most useless". Do not be offended by such an innocent word. It's not a diplomatic title, inviting unanimous agreement and warm sentiment, but neither is it a rude, demeaning, libelous or emotionally framed title either. It's a pure critique of one spell at a time, which I hope will remain without the uneccesary critique of each others' comments, alongside. I don't think it's wrong for any of us to have the opinion that maybe there are some spells that became overlooked in the grand scheme of such a complex game!
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

Oh, i forgot another one- Stream of Life
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Actually Stream of Life is a way for Pangea to deal with super creeps mid-late game.

Jazzepi
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yet another "what is crap in the game" thread which amounts to showing us that altho people keep saying there is alot of crap it doesnt amount to much since there is such a huge disagreement on what that crap is.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Private

tombom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Yet another "what is crap in the game" thread which amounts to showing us that altho people keep saying there is alot of crap it doesnt amount to much since there is such a huge disagreement on what that crap is.
Dominions 3 isn't perfect but I don't think this thread was here to complain, just discuss civilly in a slightly jokey fashion what they think about certain spells. Nothing wrong with it and not really deserving of a derisive post.
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
You are being abit unfair here Gandalf, this is a very constructive thread, no one is knocking the game at all. Indeed, hopefully by the end we will have a list of some spells that could do with a 'retune' and some spells that people thought were useless but now release are useful given the right situations.
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Even without discussion of it you are getting disagreements. With discussion it might be shown to be another no-agreements subject therefor not worth the impression it gives.

But its not like Im taking official action. Its just my personal opinion which I allowed to leak out. Just mumble "gandalf fanboi" again and ignore it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Most spells mentioned here are useful in the right situations. However, these cases often are are very rare and, more importantly, not something you could plan to use. Stream of Life is risky, but if it's the best you can do... Similarly, in the optimal case you never use the touch spells, but occassionally they can save the life of your caster.