.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What generates gems?

Gem events must be luck-neutral (in terms of scales required). I habitually play with Misfortune-3 and get lots of them even in Misfortune-3 provinces. Note that there is also a "witch cursed your troops" event that gives you gems which counts as neither a good nor a bad event.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Attached is a map for testing scales. Up to 8 MA human nations start with ten provinces, one of which is cave and one of which is sea. They are temperature-independent and there's a temple in each non-underwater province. Capitals are cleared, so that there're no starting troops, no upkeep differences, no initial gem income etc etc.

It seems I also covered a bug. Your capital is in one of the 8 middle provinces, but not necessarily in the one #specstart gives you. The castle you should start with is in there. This may cause e.g. Arcoscephale to start where Agarthan Cave castle has been put, and with 1 candle of Agarthan dominion. It doesn't affect actual scale/event testing, but does slow initial dominion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 615726-lucktestmap.zip (4.8 KB, 78 views)
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM

On the above test map, I did a test of 4 Order 3/Misfortune 1 nations against 4 Luck 3/Turmoil 1 nations. Every pretender was a Dom10 Oracle, all other scales were neutral.

Unfortunately all Order nations lost at least 2 provinces (from 10), so the results aren't easily comparable. Luck nations got so many more gems than the Order nations that I feel pretty confident with my earlier claim that Luck does, indeed, generate gems.

The four Order nations got 59, 23, 10 and 2 gems, while the four Luck nations got 135, 121, 112 and 25 gems during the 40 turns.

Turn 10: Order nations 4 gems total, Luck nations 51
Turn 20: Order 38 gems, Luck 186 gems
Turn 30: Order 76 gems, Luck 290 gems
Turn 40: Order 94 gems, Luck 393 gems

No one got Astral pearls or blood slaves. Death gems were a little less numerous than other gem types. Water and Earth were the most numerous, but not by much.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Nice.

I'm still looking for a proper afternoon to run a thorough test. With the smaller map (nice setup for testing this btw, thank you!), I'll have to run 21 games to get the body of data that I want. So, obviously it'll take a few hours.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
Nice.

I'm still looking for a proper afternoon to run a thorough test. With the smaller map (nice setup for testing this btw, thank you!), I'll have to run 21 games to get the body of data that I want. So, obviously it'll take a few hours.
There's a small problem with the map. One of the provinces (second land province from the left) has double-sized white pixel in it, so it has become two provinces. I might widen that a bit if the map is used, so that it's easier to tell the two provinces there apart. I don't want to remove the provinces because it'd wreck the numbering.

Oh, and if anyone runs any tests on this, please pay attention to events in provinces 11, 22, 33 etc. Those are caves, and there are probably lots of events that should be restricted to not happen in caves.
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Lieutenant General

As long as there are enough for them all to start with 9, it's no real bother. I haven't been looking at individual provinces at all, I just do the count from Nation Overview to see how many they've lost, and grab the rest of the numbers from the overview bar.
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
As long as there are enough for them all to start with 9, it's no real bother. I haven't been looking at individual provinces at all, I just do the count from Nation Overview to see how many they've lost, and grab the rest of the numbers from the overview bar.
Everyone has 11 provinces already given to them. That's why it lists what nations should be used. You don't have to touch the "new game" settings at all: there are no random magic sites, there are no independents, all provinces that a nation can get it already has. Making the pretenders is more work, but if you make them once in Game Tools even that's fast. That only leaves actual turn generation, and number crunching. The most boring part was "22 fire, plus 18 air, plus 31 water, plus 12 earth, plus 11 death, plus 27 nature makes for, umm, 90-somethin, hmm..." It's easy enough to do for the first time, but your mind goes numb when you're at the eighth nation for the fourth time.
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Lieutenant General

Hehehe Yeah I wasn't going to do a breakdown by gem type. I've drilled myself on rapid arithmetic, so grabbing the data isn't too much of a bother, more of a light exercise than an exertion. But, sitting there making pretenders and generating turns, for..... well, a million test subjects, that's going to be pain.
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I read this over as carefully as possible-considering I just woke up-and I'm not sure that anyone mentioned Abyssia EA's hero...lava child? or something? that generates 1 fire gem per turn.

Sorry, I'd list the unit number, but I don't have a computer with which to look it up.
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Private

TheWetFish is on a distinguished road

No.