.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Private

Masquerade is on a distinguished road
Default Masquerades queries

Hello everyone. I'm Matt and have just recently purchased the game (two years late I know) and I'm currently trying to feel my way through it, generally choosing to play as the sea-based nations because I just like the idea.

I've read the manual through, up to the grimoire that is, played the tutorial and attempted a few SP games which have each ended when I've begun to feel I'm not going anywhere.

I'd like, if I may, to use this thread to ask questions of the helpful readers among you, more knowledgeable than I in this game, that are causing me to stumble or that I'm not entirely certain of the answers to.

In my experience so far I'm starting to get the impression that the capital province is always 100% magic-site searched, but I'm not certain - Is this the case?
So far, whilst playing as Atlantis EA, spells Dark Knowledge, Voice of Tiamat and a search by a Basalt Queen Prophet have repeatedly yielded no new discoveries in the capital so I'm concerned I'm wasting turns there.

That's actually the only question that springs to mind at the moment but I'm sure I'll need to ask more. Many thanks in advance to anyone that helps, Matt.
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Sergeant

coobe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Masquerades queries

Hey welcome to the addiction =)

You cant find new sites in your capital. To get quick help on some questions or first mp experiences, you might want to consider to join the irc channel
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Masquerade said:In my experience so far I'm starting to get the impression that the capital province is always 100% magic-site searched, but I'm not certain - Is this the case?
Yes, you will never find additional magic sites in your capital.

Furthermore there is a limit of 4 magic sites per province, so not worth searching when you find 4. Once you have searched with a lvl 4 or higher in that magic path, you will have found all magic sites of that type.

Once you have played a nation yourself, you might want to read the strategy guide for it (stickied at the top), to see how it can be played differently and other players views on that nation.

Hope you enjoy the game.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Private

Thanks for the answers.
I wasn't aware that there was a max number of sites and was also under the impression that some magic sites might require high level magic searches to be discovered.
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The answers are generally correct, so dont let me worry you.

However, for those who are more jaded with the game (like me) and tempted to rock the boat... the game does make it possible to break those rules. But it would most likely be done by map commands. In other words, its possible to play a map where the starting magic sites are not the same, or additional hidden magic sites at the capital. I havent seen such a game map created yet. Its an option yet to be explored.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Masquerade said:
Thanks for the answers.
I wasn't aware that there was a max number of sites and was also under the impression that some magic sites might require high level magic searches to be discovered.
The ones that need high level magic searches need level 4. There are very few such sites, level 3 gets almost everything.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

In a general sense, 3 and 4 ARE "high magic." Pretenders can go way above that but that just gives you an idea of how incredible they are (when you spend the points for them). If your nation can get Fire-3 or Astral-4 recruitable mages it is considered to be quite strong in Fire or Astral, respectively. Of course it also matters how much they cost, whether they're recruitable anywhere, etc. Generally speaking, if you've searched a province with a Level 3 mage you've probable found everything there is to find in that path. Even a level 1 or 2 will find a high percentage of what's there, so you may or may not want to spend the gems to search it with a spell.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

If you're interested in the detailed numbers, stickied strategy guide thread links to site-searching guide.
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Private

Many thanks to all of you, I had no idea that levels 3-4 were considered high magic.
So, with regards to certain summons that describe the units magic capability, a master would most likely be level 4? I'd noticed 'some xxxx magic' often produced a unit with level 1 in the mentioned path.
Old June 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Put it this way: the King of Elemental Earth has Earth-4. Same for the other Elemental Kings and Queens IIRC. I personally think that's too low--I'd like to see them at 5 or 6--but yeah, level 4 is master-class.

Ashdod gets Death-4 mages and I LOVE it.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]