.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Previews from WorthPlaying and Bovine

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
the "wait for a god" thing is definately a nice tactical add. On a small map you would basically be giving up your god for the whole game in order to have more powerful scales.

On a large map you might create a powerful bless god which isnt that much needed anyway until you have had time to take local provinces to get enough gold/resources to build up a decent blessable army. (plus it can protect my god from my own tendencies to waste them on independents early in the game).

As to that being me.. LOL

Gandalf Parker
I agree totally, we can play around with different "starting strategies". This is definitely a great addition.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:41 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I am afraid the imprisonment might be unbalancing.
300 extra points might allow for four level 9 bless, this will make blessable units and commanders ridiculously powerful from day one and w/o need to research, who needs the pretender anyway with such a powerful army.
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Hm I dont know, a powerful SC pretender is awesome especially in the early game..however 4xl9 blessings will be hardcore for sure also...we shall see this -balance wise- when the game is out.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quadruple bless strategy? I doubt it.
1) 500 Design Points are barely enough for Dual Bless, 800 is only 60% more Design Points, so how is that enough for a quadruple bless?
2) Even if you can squeeze in a quadruple bless, it would take really really bad scales (even worse than Dom2 Dual Bless), which would be a weakness (especially since Turmoil and Sloth will severely hinder your ability to produce holy units)
3) It would take certain units to pull off successfully, the only thing I can imagine for a quadruple bless (assuming blesses don't change) is W9F9N9E9, which would mean you have to have a high HP unit, preferably with elemental resistances and high encumberance.
4) It would still eventually be weaker than summoned troops, mages and SCs (especially combinations of those).

So I don't think quadruple blessing is going to be a problem.

Though obviously this is just guesswork, as I don't have the game and don't know how things are going to be like.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I suppose that it might allow stuff like 9 W 9 F + moderate scales or 9 W + 9 F + 4 E

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Even in Dom2 I was able to get all 4 lvl blesses plus a couple of 9's if I was willing to take damaging scales (and plan on always fighting ahead of my dominion)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I have seen in MP games examples of ppl taking trashy scales to allow for three level 9 blessings, it is a viable strategy.
Such blessable armies are hard to stop, especially in the early to mid game. I shudder to think of facing four lvl 9 bless armies early on in the game.

But I'm sure will find if that's true or not soon enough
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Even in Dom2 I was able to get all 4 lvl blesses plus a couple of 9's if I was willing to take damaging scales (and plan on always fighting ahead of my dominion)
You used that with Mictlan, IIRC, keeping the damaging scales in some province you won't use anyway, and somewhat negating your enemies' dominion with some blood sacrificing? Or was that some Arco Golden Era tactic with Skeptics?
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Corporal

silhouette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Quadruple bless strategy? I doubt it.
1) 500 Design Points are barely enough for Dual Bless, 800 is only 60% more Design Points, so how is that enough for a quadruple bless?
I guess I have been assuming that the starting design points will not be the same as Dom2, or else the costs for scales and magic increase. Since you don't spend any points on a castle anymore, and can add points by awakening, if the starting points aren't reduced that would be a power increase.

Sill
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
silhouette said:
Since you don't spend any points on a castle anymore, and can add points by awakening, if the starting points aren't reduced that would be a power increase.
Allt är relativt.

As the same option is available to all nations, they can all get the extra points... yet, thanks to the economics in Dom2 it is possible to royally screw the lives of one's worshippers by taking death-sloth-misfortune-order scales and pump up the pretender with only a small effect on the well-being of the nation. If the economics have been changed (and from what's been written here I assume they have) the min-maxing of the scales might not be as viable option as before. Then taking the slumbering pretender may be one of the few options for real beefcake.

Lots of ifs and mights. Anyway, I'd like it should the above become even somewhat true...