.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old Age, Senility, Bitterness

Quote:
Cainehill said:

Ah, joy - just got my copy of Dom3, and have yet another source of bitterness about the Aging mechanism, and the manual which is supposedly worth five dollars.

Perhaps it was senility that led the manual to have no mention of Aging, Old Age, etc, in the index or table of contents? A major new mechanic in the game, and no bloody mention of it?!? There's been talk here on the forums about various things having an influence on aging - magic paths, growth scales, etc....

And yet, looking in those sections of the manual, there STILL isn't any god-forsaken mention of aging or the influences of Growth/Death scales or Nature/Death magic paths.

Before I was disgruntled, now I'd color myself a subtle shade of pissed.

(Not even to mention the school of design that led the Age stat to be displayed via ... Fatigue! It's even worse than putting Size "behind" HPs. Hmmm, I better check.... Whew! I thought maybe a new Sanity stat had been added onto
Move, or maybe Precision now displayed Upkeep, or Attack Skill displayed Moral Alignment. *mutter*)
As you may have guessed, it's mentioned lightly under the unit stats area of the manual. However, no significant explanation is garnered =\.
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Message from Abysia

Quote:
Theonlystd said:

whoa am i the only one that saw a potentially lame tatic with this?

I asumed slave collar would be destroyed when the wearer died. Make a bunch put them on crappy commanders have them attack the turn before your army and hopefully feeblemind varius mages???

Or where you giving poeple the collars?
Sounds like an awesome and funny tactic to me. No, I didn't give anyone the collar, it was passed on from Madame Fortuna to the other commanders of Ulm. It's not a "cheesy" tactic either; we all know what fantasy RPGers do when they find a new item, and "identifying" it is not the answer. To all who face me in the future... beware the army of feembleminded scouts!
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Oh, Theonlystd hasn't been around to see how badly people could attempt to sabotage the Deathmatch, I see. Suffice it to say that against evil human opponents, you should -not- send a commander you don't mind becoming diseased, feebleminded, cursed, blinded, or doomed to becoming a werewolf.

I think it's hard to beat the anecdote where a player had multiple Demonbred mages, all with one Eye of Aiming (Abysian mages having notoriously aim; must be the heat distortions). One died in battle, another picked up the Eye... and blinded himself by swapping it for his remaining good eye.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

That's diseased, feebleminded, cursed, blinded and doomed to become a werewolf.
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thejeff said:
That's diseased, feebleminded, cursed, blinded and doomed to become a werewolf.
Actually its diseased, feebleminded, cursed, blinded, Horror_Marked, and/or doomed to become a werewolf.

Fixed
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

swap horror mark and doomed around =). You cannot horror mark someone to be a werewolf hehe ...
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Taqwus said:
Oh, Theonlystd hasn't been around to see how badly people could attempt to sabotage the Deathmatch, I see. Suffice it to say that against evil human opponents, you should -not- send a commander you don't mind becoming diseased, feebleminded, cursed, blinded, or doomed to becoming a werewolf.

I think it's hard to beat the anecdote where a player had multiple Demonbred mages, all with one Eye of Aiming (Abysian mages having notoriously aim; must be the heat distortions). One died in battle, another picked up the Eye... and blinded himself by swapping it for his remaining good eye.

Never played Mp.

Sp id usually send someone in there who was cheap to hopefully maim a powerful Ai opponent so i had an idea what it would be like in mp.

And ahahhahahh replaces his only good eye with another one...
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:46 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Archonsod said:. For any blood nation, research construction and a relatively cheap (10 blood slaves) item is available which negates ageing alltogether.
About those shoes:

Yes, they stop aging. But do they prevent old people from getting diseases?

if that wouldn't be the case, Abysian mages start at around 55 with old age beginning at 35 and you would need to cast rejunevation twice to get them out of old age and would need to construct those shoes. Oh, and you would propably need to boost blood magic as reju is blood 4.

Over 30 bloodslaves just to get one mage that won't die of old age? Sounds not like a good deal to me.

But I did Illwinter injustice with me starting this thread, because Abysia still rocks if you focus on demonbred instead of anathemas for early expansion. They might be a bit weaker in fire magic and a bit less (un)holy, but they fly and have a long lifespan, so there's definitly a reason to use them (never used them in dom 2 because anathema were just better for my purposes)
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Whenever I used those boots that stop aging, I never saw that commander get affliction from old age including disease.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I played LA Man yesterday and Umor, those guys sure get aging problems. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img] I took 1 or 2 Growth and the mages kept dying. It's propably to offset their amazing troops.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.