.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 16th, 2004, 06:45 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A prioritized and hopefully realistic Wish List for 2.13

Quote:
Originally posted by NTJedi:
quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:

What would help, and has been done in the past but dropped by people doing it, is to collect all of the suggestions into a list. ......... A directory of conversations would be very helpful.
Sounds nice but... the problem here is some people tend to write paragraphs and paragraphs about their suggestions then others who disagree will write paragraphs and/or off-topic discussions begin. The poll is much more efficient for gathering the information where the developers won't have to spend hours reading Posts.
But as we players do read the Posts the poll will most probably be colored by the views of the persons most actively speaking them aloud... I admit I have 'fallen' for that one a few times.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:22 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Endoperez:
But as we players do read the Posts the poll will most probably be colored by the views of the persons most actively speaking them aloud... I admit I have 'fallen' for that one a few times.
For best efficiency the developer should be the one to actually develop the poll. This way suggestions which are way too complex/bizarre can be filtered out and the developer has the list of what he considers important... then we can vote for what we feel should be addressed.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CUnknown:
1) Are games often won without the use of SC's?
Yes, they can be, in very small games where you often rush your opponents before the game reaches that phase of development. SCs are, however, an inherent core aspect of the game, as evidenced by the fact that many pretender choices are geared towards having a big, mean, asswhailer at your disposal from turn 1.

This question can be like asking, "Can wars be won without tanks?", though. Yes, they can be, but the alternatives tend to be bloody, gruelling, and tedious.

Quote:
2) Are games often won without the use of lifedrain in any form?
Once again, in very small games where people rush each other from the beginning, before SCs and item forging enters the picture, lifedrain does not necessarily manifest itself. Given that an overdependence on lifedrain can be countered by the use of lifeless units, many of which can be had very cheaply, and will eventually exhaust anything that isn't 0-encumberance if it depends entirely on lifedrain for fatigue control, it is also not as if Dom2 leaves you without a solution to an army of lifedraining attackers.
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A poll could be helpful but would have to be very carefully done. Many efforts along that line tended to be worded coser to "we the mob demand these fixes" rather than the "please and thank you consider this" that our momma taught us.

What would help, and has been done in the past but dropped by people doing it, is to collect all of the suggestions into a list. To keep the list clean and useable by the devs it should avoid too much discussion. The descripts of each item (suggestions, bugs, opinions, avoid categorizing them) could be just 6-10 words and a link to the thread where it was/is/can-be discussed. If such a list could be maintained and items added/deleted as patches come out, THAT would be a great contribution to the forum. And probably worth making sticky.

This is actually one of the most requested things by all of the developers in all of the game forums here. The discussions are great but hard to wade thru to see whether its a new topic they should add to their list. A directory of conversations would be very helpful.
I am trying to keep my lists as short as possible. I hoped people would also add on here in a similar way. The problem with stickies is that they can get outdated and overlong fast. Polls are often also skewed.

Well just trying to be helpful....
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

25. add mod command : patrol province for independents

this is really urgent for the faerun map to make it even better .
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Boron:

NO PLEASE NOT another MOD command.
Make it a MAP command, or a default. NOT a mod.
Id like to see alot more map commands.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:36 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

23. Make the "neighbors" filter give more visible arrows (red? dark yellow? black with a red center?) or a choice between arrow colors in the "preference" screen -- I can't see them at all often
24. Ryleh's colors somewhat different in the f2 graph screen or a choice between arrow colors in the "preference" screen
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I can't believe I forgot this the first time.
This would be around priority 8-15 for me, it's a flavor element, so I'll call it

12a. Flavor feature: Experience has out-of-combat-effects as well: per experience star,
- stealthy commanders receive +3 points stealth
- priests receive +3% chance of successfully raising the dom by 1 when preaching
- bloodhunters receive +3% chance of successfully capturing blood slaves and a +3% chance of gaining an additional +1 bloodslave per successful hunt
(more ideas welcome)
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boron:

NO PLEASE NOT another MOD command.
Make it a MAP command, or a default. NOT a mod.
Id like to see alot more map commands.

oops i meant map command not mod command
but it should have been obvious from the context anyway that this can only be a typo from me
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkthank:
I can't believe I forgot this the first time.
This would be around priority 8-15 for me, it's a flavor element, so I'll call it

12a. Flavor feature: Experience has out-of-combat-effects as well: per experience star,
- stealthy commanders receive +3 points stealth
- priests receive +3% chance of successfully raising the dom by 1 when preaching
- bloodhunters receive +3% chance of successfully capturing blood slaves and a +3% chance of gaining an additional +1 bloodslave per successful hunt
(more ideas welcome)
Extra stealth for experience, sure, since for many of them, the stealth is the only thing that matters. Actually, this might be best only for scouts, spies, and assasins (and variants - bards, concubines, etc), because the Vanadrotts and Tuatha already get a lot out of experience.

For priests ... maybe.

But for bloodhunters?? Unlike stealth, there's already a plethora of ways to improve blood hunting ability. Empowerment, skill-raising items, bloodthorns. Improving the blood hunters with experience would only serve to give blood nations even more advantages, as they start creating cheap(ish) blood hunters early, which then improve. Add this to the fact that blood already is at a big advantage in games with few magic sites, and ....

Actually, it'd be nice if it was harder to blood hunt when magic sites are more rare.

Theory being that if the other sources of magic are so scarce, more and more mages look to blood for power; people start protecting and hiding their virgins more, or even deflowering them for their own good.