.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:28 PM

Major

Jasper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions II Bug Thread

One Last thought on the Medusa, or rather it's stoning ability. What about giving it Awe instead of Fear? This would better represent attacker's fear of turning to stone. It would also prevent the ridiculous sight of streams of units evaporating in a mad rush to gaze at a Medusa.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:44 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is known or not, or if it's supposed to be that way - but I had a (large) army that was starving, despite several Cauldrons of Broth being present in the hands of some of its commanders. I started shuffling some Cauldrons around, and the supply usage dropped - it looks like a Commander with 2 Cauldrons will benefit from the effects of only one.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper:
while NGF is quick to defend the PoD, he is also quick to recommend new players play a PoD... Still, I'm reluctant to say he's _too_ powerfull, although he'd be good even if he cost 75.
75 seems fair to me.

Quote:
IMHO the Shedu could be improved by having Air 1 instead of Astral 1 (I don't believe there are any air/earth pretenders), decreasing it's cost by 25, and improving it's natural protection to 12.
The Shedu has been fetched out the Babylonian mythos, so astal magic makes sense IMO (Babylonians were famed astronomers). If that has to be changed, I think water would be more appropriate than air - Tigris & Euphrates, Noah and the Flood, and I remember Sumer was dubbed "the Kingdom of the Sea Land" at some point of its history.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:56 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper:
One Last thought on the Medusa, or rather it's stoning ability. What about giving it Awe instead of Fear? This would better represent attacker's fear of turning to stone. It would also prevent the ridiculous sight of streams of units evaporating in a mad rush to gaze at a Medusa.
I don't like this Awe idea much, I better like it as it works now. OTOH, I wouldn't mind this changed to a short range (say 5-10) automatic Petrification - say, you have to be close enough to see the white in the eye of the Medusa, and she has to stare at you - affecting only 1 unit or 1 square/round.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:13 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Are those game bugs?

Here's what looks like a definite bug to me:

I have a Black Acolyte with two experience stars, but otherwise ordinary, who found one of the two Twin Spear items (the one with the powers over death). It appears in his inventory normally, but lower on his unit description, under the "Weapons:" heading, it shows a Serpent Kryss, with Serpent Kryss stats, and no Twin Spear. I'm confident he never had a Serpent Kryss before this, and no Serpent Kryss or other items appear in his magic inventory besides the Twin Spear. Looks like perhaps the game is getting confused about which item is which, here.

Also, I wonder why the Twin Spear shows a length of zero, if it is a spear? Even a broadsword gets a length of 2. Oh, I guess the stats in the inventory may not be appearing correctly, since they look like the same stats as a Serpent Kryss.

It behaves the same way if I give it to other leaders, as well.

It does seem to give +50 leadership and to give Luck, as the description of Twin Spear advertizes.

PvK

[ November 23, 2003, 19:23: Message edited by: PvK ]
Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

I don't know whther this is supposed to work this way, but I tried to teleport my commander into a province that had a Dome of solid air. He got repelled by it, and I got the message that the dome prevented a hostile spell. I thought that only spells from other nations will be stopped, not my own? I shudder to think what would have happened if I had the Dome of flaming death or Dome of corruption instead. In any case, if it succeeded it would have shattered the dome and wasted me 20 gems. If it's working as intended, I guess it's better to know sooner than later.

Btw, I can just imagine him getting stopped by an invisible force and then flung back in Looney tunes style...
Old November 24th, 2003, 12:41 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Wrong reference number on the twin spear gives it the stats of a serpent kryss. Thanks!
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:42 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Bug: You can take gems/slaves away from a mercenary by putting him in a lab, going to the magic screen, and choosing to "Pool" that gem type.

Maybe a bug, more of a question: I saw a Wyrm win an Arena deathmatch, by beating an Earth Mother. That's fine, but... what happens to the trident???
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:46 PM

>I don't know if this is known or not, or if it's supposed to be that way - but I had a
>(large) army that was starving, despite several Cauldrons of Broth being present in the
>hands of some of its commanders. I started shuffling some Cauldrons around, and the supply
>usage dropped - it looks like a Commander with 2 Cauldrons will benefit from the effects
>of only one.

Duplicate items give *no* double effect (exception: "production" items like Lifelong Protections, Soul Contracts or Fever Fetishes). You cannot duplicate an item and a spell either, IIRC (like Quickness + Boots of Quickness, or Luck + Pendant of Luck).

>I don't know whther this is supposed to work this way, but I tried to teleport my commander
>into a province that had a Dome of solid air. He got repelled by it, and I got the message
>that the dome prevented a hostile spell.

In dom1 domes prevented _all_ troops from teleporting in the province, even your own (they can gate away safely). And this rule also applies to "Gateway", "Faery Trod", "Cloud Trapeze", etc. On the other hand, automatic return effects like the rebirth of an immortal creature or the "Returning" spell in the protected capital were still possible.

Cheers
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

This is rather strange. I'm not sure what it was, so I'm only telling what happened.

I was playing Abysia, trying out Golden Naga as mage/ combatant. I had preached Pangaea dead, and was trying to conquer thei defenderless citadel. Not sure which one it was, but it was a siege of few turns...
During it, an event told me that some knights had attacked and tried to conquer it. But there was no batlle! I thought that they had gone in the castle, and cursed in my mind... That was the turn I finally breached the walls! Anyway, I sent one commander in, hoping to see what was there. There was nothing, and I got the castle. But, the troops I had left outside to patrol found sneaking troops! Care to quess who they found? The knights, with their militia. I would like to get some of those horses...
They were normal knights, not ethereal ones. Militia seemed normal too. It was strange, and they were burned and caused no harm to me, but I think this should still be reported. What if they had been Bogus & Co, and I had retreated, and Pangaea would have tried to claim back his citadel?