.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 28th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Corporal

Ichtarian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Insect race

I am working on a turn based game using Torque Game Builder (TGB). Torque uses what is called Torque Script which is very similar to C++. I am new to programming and graphics for that matter...for graphics I am using Lightwave 9 and Zbrush. It's slow but I am having great fun.
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

awesom,e. O I have messed around with torque a bit, it looks to me more related to 3d graphics and such. Screenies when you get that far along please!
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Foodstamp said:
What type of game and what language are you programming in? I am currently working on a Java based TBS.
Java eh? How hard is it to wrap up a game with Java? Java is the programming language I know best.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nerfix said:
Quote:
Foodstamp said:
What type of game and what language are you programming in? I am currently working on a Java based TBS.
Java eh? How hard is it to wrap up a game with Java? Java is the programming language I know best.
If your pretty good with java, I imagine not too hard. Its object oriented so the approach I have taken so far is to make the game as reusable as possible. I am in the VERY preliminary stages of creating classes that contain stats etc, and I have a very simple RMG that I am going to rewrite to make it more efficient.

Here are the CONS to using Java I have found so far...

When the time comes, I am going to have to use 3rd party libraries to implement mp3 sound (or oogis vorb or wtf the free license equivalent is called). Java only supports like midi and one other sound type on it's own.

Java uses a virtual machine environment to compile, and while this allows for cross platform applications (linux etc), I am pretty sure the end user has to have the java runtime installed on their computers, which I think just for users is a pretty hefty download. (likke 100megish)

The pros...

If your even only novice stage familiar with java it is child's play to do a GUI using applet elements and a web browser. And you can make a stellar GUI for a TBS style game depending on how complex your trying to get.

Java is OOP. If you don't know what OOP is don't worry about it. You can still write a game np without using these practices.

On modern machines java runs more than fast enough to do a TBS i imagine. (I am sure I will find this out along the way). But I know some topnotch games are made in java including the RTS Tribal Trouble.

If you need any advice on working with java, I am definately not an expert, but I would be more than willing to help you with any questions you have as long as it is not over my head as well.

P.S. Disclaimer, I know you read the kisslbade post so you have a good idea of what kinda condition I am in atm, so if anything seems weird in this post you know why.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ichtarian said:
I am working on a turn based game using Torque Game Builder (TGB). Torque uses what is called Torque Script which is very similar to C++. I am new to programming and graphics for that matter...for graphics I am using Lightwave 9 and Zbrush. It's slow but I am having great fun.
What 3d format are you using? I've been playing around with Blender3D (which can import to LightWave .lwo files at least), and am going to get trained as some kind of a 3D modeler/animator. I can't draw, so I'm not good at it, but I can try to do things. I might be able to do some simple items or buildings, but I haven't tried painting textures yet.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Corporal

Since my game is 2d but using Lightwave to create the models, I am actually exporting motion sequences out as individual frames in .png, and then compiling the indivudual frames back together in Photoshop.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Seems I can't help with that, then, but I wish you luck in your project, any way.
Old October 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM

Sergeant

Uh-Nu-Buh is on a distinguished road

I'm very surprised to find this thread. I've been working on a mod for about a week now called The Hive. Essentially swarms of giant cockroaches with mandibles. There are some big units, but mostly it is swarms of small mean little things that just scuttle and bite.

I'm beta testing it right now. If anybody is interested I can post it.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:07 AM

Corporal

I would love to learn more about your mod and how it tests.