Well, the game is great, I just wish the manual, both paper and Online were more expansive. That said, I have a number of questions I'd like answered if anyone could help:
1. What's the relationship between population and production and facilities? If I have a planet capacity of 500MM, can build 5 mineral facilities on it, but just have 100MM people on it, how is production determined? Are extra facilities useless unless there is a pro rata share of people - that doesn't appear to be so, but production does appear to increase somewhat as population increases.
2. How does "happiness" impact production and birth rates, if at all. Or what exactly does "happiness" do in the game?
3. I know that there is a later shield tech that provides protection against "phased" beams such as the polaron beam. But since the null space beam isn't phased, is there no protection against it?
4. Is there anyway to resupply my fleets other than adding a supply ship to the fleet, hence distributing supplies among all ships? I wish it would happen automatically when I move my supply ship into the square with my fleet, just like repairs work. Too much clicking to get the fleet supplied.
5. More of a comment than a question, but it seems that some "main" guns/beams can be used in point defense, such as the polaron beam. This really doesn't seem right, as I think you should have to have dedicated PD weapons. But what bugs me the most is a enemy dreadnought took out my entire fight fleet with heavy mount polaron beams! Seems that non PD weapons should be penalized when used in PD role, and even more so for other than normal mounts (heavy, large, etc.).
6. Can you transfer different races around on your planets, maximizing population for different environments? But since moving populations always leaves one unit of the original population on there, you can't move them all? What about mixed populations - does the game account for that in some way as in MOO2?
7. Is there some way to create a race with various abilities a la MOO2? As near as I can figure out, there are just preset races to choose from - I didn't see anyway to build your own race.
8. What the heck does the Climate Control facility do? I understand that it will increase the environmental "friendliness" of a planet, but it doesn't seem to increase the max population. So what exactly does it do for you? What is its benefit?
9. Do you need a resource converter on more than one planet, or does it work empire wide in converting resources?
10. Can you find technology when you conquer an enemy planet as in MOO? I've conquered several, but my first victim is behind me for the most part so I can't tell if this occurs.
11. I know that there is a strategic combat option in tactical combat (seems like they should call it "instant" combat instead
) where you can elect not to fight out turn by turn an individual battle. But is there a way in the detailed tactical fight to go ahead and have the computer now compute the "instant" winner? I know you can automate the tactical combat, but it still takes too long and you have to sit there and watch the ships move. I'd just like the ability when the battle is decided to go ahead and let the computer do the instant calculation and save me time. Any way to do this?
12. How does cloaking work? It doesn't seem to provide any combat bonuses, so it apparently works different in this game.
13. On a related note, what do sensors/scanners do. Not the combat ones - I understand that they give "to hit" bonuses, but the non-combat ones. It just says they allow a certain level of scanning but the heck if I can understand what that means on a practical basis.
14. Is armor really worth it? Yes, it does take the first damage from enemy shots that hit, but I'd rather have that spot taken up by a weapon that can fire multiple times in combat, rather than a piece of armor that Lasts only one turn. The "opportunity cost" of defense vs. weaponry seems to high. Am I missing something here?
15. A gripe - I hate colonization ships. They should come preloaded with colonists. Much of colonization is done from outside the system to be colonized and it is too much of a pain to have to manually load colonists when sending them out system. Too many clicks and nothing pleasureable about the experience
My main gripe about the game is the number of colony ships I've sent out without any colonists!
Thanks ahead of time to those who take the time to respond.