.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old October 11th, 2002, 02:12 PM

Private

Elgnid is on a distinguished road
Default Question concerning combat

Received the Jewel-case with the Full Version yesterday. I've started my Ranger and so far, I'm having a lotta fun. I've slowed the comp speed down to 60% because I like to admire the graphic bitmaps and on my system at 100%, things were just flying!

So now to my question, how exactly does combat resolution work, Aaron? Does my speed adjustment have any effect on how fast the other monsters attack me? I'm assuming it does. Now this wouldn't be a problem if the speed of my attacks were also regulated. I'm playing on Master level right now and things seem waaaay to easy. It seems like I can right-click my mouse as fast as I want and I have MOST monsters dead before they even hit me.

Now I slowed the game down so I could enjoy the icons and see them coming at me instead of just a blur streaking toward my character. I didn't think this would have an effect on combat, yet it does seem to be that way. I'm a little disappointed that combat feels like a big click-fest.

For my wish-list of improvements in a future patch, I'd like to see combat become more tactical. It would be cool that once an encounter on the regular map happens (ie. icons are right next to each other), a 'battle screen' would come up one screen in size showing the immediate terrain surrounding the combatants. It's just my opinion, but I would rather see turn-based tactical combat on this 'battle screen' instead of the click-fest real time that it is now.

Am I alone in this? Does anyone else see this as a detractor to an otherwise EXCELLENT game? To end on a positive note, the game captures the retro feel VERY WELL! I plan on making a module of my own! =)
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:54 PM

Private

Myth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question concerning combat

Just got the downloadable Version of the game, and loving it too, but I do share you thoughts on combat. I have a second level fighter and have yet to find a challenge in combat. Usually it takes at the most two right clicks to destroy the enemy.

I am hoping that it becomes more "dangerous" as I progress in , as this adds to the suspense and excitement of the game.

That being said, I am really happy with my purchase; the game is really fun and addictive, and hope to do some "modding" in the future as well.

[ October 11, 2002, 18:57: Message edited by: Myth ]
Old October 12th, 2002, 02:21 AM

Private

dummy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question concerning combat

Wait until you get to level 10-12 or so....

Watch out for-err...;