.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old October 25th, 2002, 04:49 PM

Private

dummy is on a distinguished road
Default Map Creation

Okay, I can create tiles, no problem. I can save tiles, no problem. How can I load newly created tiles into the map generator? I have tried placing them into a module directory, but they never show up- do i need to link them to a module file?

Now, for a request: It seems I have to identify all directions and locations of those tiles that lead to either east, west, north, south.

My probelm is that I want to create a dungeon maze with several points of entrance and exit to other tiles sets- so instead of just one exit at the north south east or west edges, I want to create multiple east west north south connectors- I am having a hard time figuring out how to set this up within the text files.

Maybe someone can help- I want to create multiple tile sets where the tunnels twist and turn- io am hoping that the map generator will take several different types of these tiles and will then be able to make really random maps.

What has been showcased so far is nice, but after a while, the dungeons get boring as all the maps are just "blocks". The next step in my mind is to create random blocks, in the form of a maze within the 15 X15 to create some truly novel dungeons.

Is there a way to do this easily? Does it exsist and as my screen name suggests, I am just a "dummy"?

Any insight would be helpful, or if you need clarification, let me know. Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2002, 07:57 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map Creation

...scanning memory... hmmm, I believe that you can make whatever type connections you wish. In the XXX_tiles.txt file there are lines that look like this..

Connection Type N :1
Connection Type S :0
Connection Type E :0
Connection Type W :0

As the person building the tiles you get to decide what is what. type '1' could be a single width corridor exit to the N-S-E-W, type '2' could be a wider 2-3 tile corridor N-S-E-W, type '3' two single width corridors N-S-E-W etc.

Basically when you create the tiles 'you' decide what your 'edge' connections look like and then assign a number to it.(yes, you have to manually insert the tile into a XXX_tiles.txt file and then edit the 'Connection type' lines!) Just remember that a type '#' North must match the same type '#' South. When the game generates the map, it will randomly place the tiles and use the 'Connection type' to ensure a proper 'seemless' transition from one tile to another.

P.S. I'm sure that this is all mentionned in the doc files, and perhaps in better form.

Aaron correct me if I'm wrong!
Old October 25th, 2002, 09:00 PM

Private

Thank you for your reply, and I do realize that this is covered in the doc files- however, it seems that the doc files assume at least some level of experience in modding- I have zero and am trying to learn. I'm just not connecting the dots as quickly as I should, and I guess I am one of those who need a little clarification.

The hard part for good mods is coming up with story lines- the easy part is the creation of the files itself- however, I have problems making the files, and I believe it will do the community good to make the map creation as simple as possible and as "dummy" proof as possible. I will be the first to admit that my misunderstanding is just my own fault, and not really a reflection on the game or the support documentation,.

I am trying to make a tile map that uses all 15 by 15 squares for a single width cooridor that has multiple avenues of exiting on the N-S-E-W edges. So the north has three tunnels that lead to seperate exits- the south has 3 seperate tunnel exits, the east and west have 2-4 exits. How do i do this?

My idea is to make several variations of these so the game will generate some very random and hopefully interesting mazes- this is to combat the "all the block mazes look the same" feeling that will ultimetly lead to gamer boredom.

you said: Basically when you create the tiles 'you' decide what your 'edge' connections look like and then assign a number to it.(yes, you have to manually insert the tile into a XXX_tiles.txt file and then edit the 'Connection type' lines!)

How do I do this? Where in the documentation does it explain how this is done? How do I "insert" the tile int the txt.file? Where do I insert it, at the begining, end, or middle? How do I create an entirely new module just using the tiles I have created?

you said:
As the person building the tiles you get to decide what is what. type '1' could be a single width corridor exit to the N-S-E-W, type '2' could be a wider 2-3 tile corridor N-S-E-W, type '3' two single width corridors N-S-E-W etc.

Would you be able to maybe expound on this idea? I am kinda confused on what the diference is between type 1, 2, 3 and 4's. Can there only be 4 different types of tiles?
Old October 26th, 2002, 04:34 AM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by dummy:

you said: Basically when you create the tiles 'you' decide what your 'edge' connections look like and then assign a number to it.

How do I do this? Where in the documentation does it explain how this is done?
Ok, here goes the real simple Version,.. I'm gonna make the decisions for you since you are having trouble grasping the idea of 'Connections'.

Connection Type '0' = open edge, no corridores like the wilderness map. (apply this number to all edges that have no corridores NSEW!)
Connection Type '1' = One corridore exiting the edge of the tile. (apply this number to all edges that have just one corridore NSEW!)
Connection Type '2' = Two corridores exiting the edge of the tile. (apply this number to all edges that have two corridores NSEW!)
Connection Type '3' = Three corridores exiting the edge of the tile. (apply this number to all edges that have three corridores NSEW!)
Connection Type '4' = Four corridores exiting the edge of the tile. (apply this number to all edges that have four corridores NSEW!) BTW: having 4 corridores exiting each edge will be a bit crowded. So I'll stop at 4,..

Connection Type '5' = One 3 tile wide corridore exiting the edge of the tile. (apply this number to all edges that have just one 3 tile wide corridore NSEW!)...add infinity,... This is what is meant by 'you the maker decides'

In the above example, if you had a tile with 1 corridore to the north, 2 to the west, 3 to the east and 4 to the south,...

Connection Type N :1
Connection Type S :4
Connection Type E :3
Connection Type W :2

Make sure that when you draw the tile, that the exits correspond to this, and remember that you also have to have tiles that 'match' these on the reverse side..

Connection Type N :4
Connection Type S :1
Connection Type E :2
Connection Type W :3

How do I "insert" the tile int the txt.file? Where do I insert it, at the begining, end, or middle?

ever hear of cut and paste? and it makes no difference where in the file you place them, as long as the new tile is placed before, in-between' or after an existing tile. Personally, I prefer to add the new tiles to the end of the file, it's easier that way.

How do I create an entirely new module just using the tiles I have created?

IMHO it would be best to add to an existing file, then if you so choose, delete the old tiles within the file. (this would be a simple matter if you added the new tiles to the end of the file!)

I hope this info has given you a bit more insite into the workings of the tiles.

Cheers!

[ October 26, 2002, 12:05: Message edited by: David Gervais ]
Old October 26th, 2002, 07:29 PM

Private

Thank you again for your time and patience!

So if I understand this, each tile I create will be differentiated in terms of generation within the map based on the type of exits I identify the tile to have- right?

Then, for each tile, I must identify the number of NSEW connectors exsist- the map generator already knows which pieces can connect to th other pieces and where, it just needs to know how many to look for- or at least something to that effect...

Do you know if there is a way, or how to, set it up so that a "transport" sqquare transports the character within the map, but not to another map?

Like the town-temple teleport- i was wondering if it would be possible to do a temple-temple (same map) transport?

Thanks a heap!
Old October 26th, 2002, 08:48 PM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by dummy:
So if I understand this, each tile I create will be differentiated in terms of generation within the map based on the type of exits I identify the tile to have- right?
Right on, now you're getting it.
Quote:

Then, for each tile, I must identify the number of NSEW connectors exsist- the map generator already knows which pieces can connect to th other pieces and where, it just needs to know how many to look for- or at least something to that effect...
Actually the map gets the connection info directly from the 'Connection Type' lines in the tile description. If you forget to set them when you insert them into the file, the map generator will give an error.

Quote:
Do you know if there is a way, or how to, set it up so that a "transport" sqquare transports the character within the map, but not to another map?

Like the town-temple teleport- i was wondering if it would be possible to do a temple-temple (same map) transport?
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that one, hopefully someone else will be able to help you on that.

Have a Great Day.

[ October 26, 2002, 19:49: Message edited by: David Gervais ]