This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 10th, 2001, 06:26 AM

Corporal

Dubious is on a distinguished road
Default Strategy Guide in the Archive

The "SE4 Dubious Strategy Guide" is an editted compilation of threads from this forum. See how I've mangled your intent. Make suggestions, additions or corrections in this thread.

------------------
"All sources are dubious until their reliabilty has been repeatedly proven. Even then their information should be independently verified." - The unwritten "spooks handbook"
Old April 11th, 2001, 01:32 AM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Strategy Guide in the Archive

Good idea.
I was working on something similiar but now I can just add some comments. Where should I post my thoughts?
Old April 11th, 2001, 02:26 AM

Corporal

Great! Glad to hear someone else was willing to dig into it.

Put anything about or for the guide in this thread. Just indicate what topic area you think it relates to, and where in the existing sequence if necessary. I'll just cut and paste from the thread into the guide or adjust as requested.

Or you could put additional material into a ZIP file and attach it to a reply here and I'll download it and incorporate it into the guide that way.

I've got threads on System Defense (Minefields, Minesweeping, Fighters, Satellites, Weapons Platforms, and controlling costs), more on suggested Research sequences, additional on CI ops, Boarding Parties, Remote Mining, more on Treaties, Facilities and Resource Management, Movement, Interface Command subtleties, and I want to expand on both ModPacks and Modding to edit and add still.

Anyone want to put up their pearls of wisdom?

And then someone really needs to put a Modder's Guide together. I really hope someone else will tackle that, so I can FINISH MY FIRST GAME! (I pulled all this together and organized it for myself, originally.)
Old April 11th, 2001, 06:10 AM

Corporal

The zip file in the archive has been updated (same name).

Revision 10 Apr 2001: Added to First 50 Turns, Research Strategies, First Contact, Exploration, and Weapon Research Comparisons topics.
Old April 11th, 2001, 04:30 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

I have some beginners tips if you think they would be appropriate for the guide. I am not to good at uploading to the forum though, I seem to botch it up everytime.
Old April 11th, 2001, 06:23 PM

Captain

Dracus is on a distinguished road

I do not use sats around my planets. I like to put about 30 on each of my outer WP's with about 20 small mines. Make the sat's a combination of cannon's and missles. This gives me a buffer to unkown sectors. as i expand, I move the sat's out to the next set of WP's As soon as a ship hit's the mines or sat's, I know to move ships into that sector.

You can also plant a couple of sat's in systems that have no planets to monitor movement.
Old April 12th, 2001, 01:52 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

Where can I get the .ZIP file that includes the strat guide? I looked in the MOD/ARC section and don't see it. What is the name of the post? Thanks
Old April 12th, 2001, 01:55 AM

Captain

Dracus is on a distinguished road

It is the top post under the forum
Space Empires: IV - Modding and other Help Tools/Information
Old April 12th, 2001, 04:11 AM

Corporal

Thanks Dracus. "Rippling" the sat's as your border expands. That's a nice one. For the inexperienced like myself, could you expand a bit on the use of a sat in an "empty" system to monitor movement? Are you talking about using sensors (which I thought could only go on ships)?

It (and any reply you might give) will be in the next revision under the "First 50 Turns" topic.
Old April 12th, 2001, 04:15 AM

Corporal

Nitram, beginner's tips are probably the primary reason someone will (at least initially) download the guide. Bring them on.

I found posting an attachment a little confusing as well the first time.

For those who've never uploaded before, you select the "Post Reply" link at the top of the thread (or archive) page, which brings up a Reply page with fields for your Forum name and password. There is also a field for the "attachment", which is initially empty. Next to it is an "upload your files" link. When you select that, it brings up a separate browser window with fields for 3 attachments. There are browse buttons which let you navigate to each file location on your local drive. When you have selected the files and clicked the "upload now" button, the Reply page "attachment" field will have a single filename (random numbers with a ".txt" extension), which means the file(s) uploaded successfully. The ".txt" file is probably a "pointer" file to the real filename(s) and location on their server.

Or you can just put it up as a series of Messages. Looking forward to your contribution.