.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Corporal

Palle is on a distinguished road
Default Multinational Core Force Question

First, my greetings, I am new here so I will briefly introduce myself.

Palle Rasmussen, Danish, 36 Ma. History, mainly medieval, Roman and military. Viking fighting re-enactor www.ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk (check the film "Tribute to Ask" with some of our triumphs from last year). Played boardgames for 20 years now, mainly WiF, ASL, The Longest day, Enemy at The gates, and Korean War.

That being dealt with, we now move to my question.

In the WinSPMBT campaigns it does not seem to be possible to create a core force with more than one nationality in it. With the situation as it is on the Korean Peninsula it would seem that there will be war there as Kim Il-sung grows more desperate and out of options, a campaign depicting a Second Korean War does not seem implausible and I want to create one. However, I cannot overcome that problem with Core Forces being only one nationality.

How, please, do I do that?

(until I make a sig)Best wishes, Palle

Proud to be Danish!
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Corporal

MacGalin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multinational Core Force Question

If you want to create closed core campagin, it should be no problem.

Just pick US or SK as primary nation, and buy rest as allied units. They keep names, ranks and flags of their orginal nation, no problem. (Of course objective flags will still be marked with your primary nation's flag, but there is no way around it. )

On the other hand, SPMBT is centered around company - battalion sized units - the scale is, IMO, too small for allowing realistic mixed core units.

It would be beter idea to add other nations as auxilaries in missions.
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:

On the other hand, SPMBT is centered around company - battalion sized units - the scale is, IMO, too small for allowing realistic mixed core units.

It would be beter idea to add other nations as auxilaries in missions.

precisely the point.

You may find multi-nationals mixed at brigade level (though division and above is most likely). But any batallion sized action or lesser level, these allied troops are going to be brought in for the one battle only - auxiliaries or allies in SP terms.

Allied/foreign troops in mixed formations will incur a duplicated supply chain at the very least for the differing kit, ammo, spares etc - not to mention differences in radio/arty procedures, codes, coding devices and so on along with different command/orders structures and so forth. NATO (for example) may have "NATO standards" in these fields, but these are bare minimuns, and not really designed for mixed bns - just to allow interoperability with less friction at the formation level.

Cheers
Andy
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Corporal

Well, the (in)famous Danish Batallion in Bosnia-Herzegovina that thrashed the local serbs good and well actually incorporated a Swedish unit (company I think), it was part of that that the tanks went to relieve when they were ambushed and retaliated. Small units from the Baltic States and Poland was also at various times incorporated before they got ready to run their own UN missions. As part of the Danish Home Guard I went up against some of them as part of their training.

What I had in mind was a NATO task force/kampfgruppe thrown together in the cauldron of battle and fighting a series of battles. Parts of the EU reaction Force for example.

Proud to be Danish!
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Corporal

Well, the (in)famous Danish Batallion in Bosnia-Herzegovina that thrashed the local serbs good and well actually incorporated a Swedish unit (company I think), it was part of that that the tanks went to relieve when they were ambushed and retaliated. Small units from the Baltic States and Poland was also at various times incorporated before they got ready to run their own UN missions. As part of the Danish Home Guard I went up against some of them as part of their training.

What I had in mind was a NATO task force/kampfgruppe thrown together in the cauldron of battle and fighting a series of battles. Parts of the EU reaction Force for example.

Proud to be Danish!
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Corporal

Sorry for the double post, dunno what happened.

BTW, I was possibly not clear enough in my first message. Before we turn the thread to a discussion of multinational batallions, Brigades, etc., let us adress the issue of how to do it again. I do not get the option to use allies. That is my exact problem, the option is simply not there.

Best wishes, Palle

Proud to be Danish!
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Palle said:
Well, the (in)famous Danish Batallion in Bosnia-Herzegovina that thrashed the local serbs good and well actually incorporated a Swedish unit (company I think), it was part of that that the tanks went to relieve when they were ambushed and retaliated.
IIRC at the time of Bøllebank the Danish Bn was not in Bosnia but across the border in Croatia while one Danish tank company and some staff personell were attached to the largely Swedish Nordbat 2.

Also, this was a UN mission - except maybe for the clash at Tango 2, it would be hard to model in MBT.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Corporal

Right you are. For anyone interested here is a link; http://www.milhist.dk/post45/boelleb...llebank_uk.htm

My problem has still not been adressed though.

Best regards, Palle

Proud to be Danish!
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

This has already been addressed.

The game does not allow for mixed-nationality cores in campaigns.

If you want peackeeping forces - then perhaps you should try editing the UN OOB with these specific subunits?.

Cheers
Andy
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Palle said:
My problem has still not been adressed though.
This cannot be done in any of the game engine's user generated campaigns BUT if you are designing a custom campaign for others to download and use it can be done, with some limitations.