This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Private

Wulf_Flieger is on a distinguished road
Default Strategy/Tips question

Hello all, I'm brand new at this game and would first like to say I'm really impressed with all the technical knowledge on this board. At first I didn't like the game but after playing it for about a week it has grown on me and now Im getting like 5 hours of sleep a night and dreaming about tech trees and which path to take like Dorothy in the WOO.

Is there any kind of strategy guide/tips information out there? Ive tried looking at all the posts here and at se5.com and can't find much.I've played the tutorial and read the manuals (print and pdf) several times but the amount of info is overwhelming. Maybe if some of you wouldnt mind could you advise on some general strategies you like to employ like which paths in research you like or which Races you prefer and why.

Thanks in advance
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Strategy/Tips question

I think at this point, it is wide open.

The game hasn't been out long enough for clear paths to victory to be laid down.
If you use KwokStock (aka Balance mod) then even more choices are viable.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Corporal

Zereth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
I think at this point, it is wide open.

The game hasn't been out long enough for clear paths to victory to be laid down.
If you use KwokStock (aka Balance mod) then even more choices are viable.
Plus a strategy that works now might not in a path or two due to changes to behavior, a bug you were (possibly unwittingly) exploiting being fixed, or a new bug being introduced.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

WOW! You’re still getting five hours of sleep a night! What a featherweight, wait till you really get hooked then tell us how many hours you get.

As SJ said the game is new and with this incarnation the lines to total victory aren’t clear. Even though suggestions are out for SE4 you don’t want to necessarily apply them to SE5. One of the things that keep this game better than the others is that it’s not simply a rehash of a prior version. Each version brings new developments, strategies, and goodies for both the players and mod makers. Know what I mean? At this point I strongly recommend KwokStock, you can come here if you need detailed help on how to install it; however, a simply knowledge of computer directories is all you need. This is a really great time for you to have of joined/bought the game. SE5 is new enough that we are all rediscovering it, exploring it, and working together to develop it. Finally with it being so new you are here early enough to see the mods start rolling out which means you can take part in developing them too. There is no greater feeling than playing a Mod and seeing a suggestion or feature you requested and knowing that the entire community is using your idea!

Anyway apologies for getting on the soap box, welcome to the boards and the SE series!