This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 5th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road
Default Bah I Give Up

I've never been so disappointed in a game that shows so much potential .I can see great improvements like combat,love how sensors,supplies,ordnance work and would be great fun to play just nothing works.

I don't know where to start. I dont expect a game bug free theres just no way thats possible. But Se5 is horrid.. Mp doesn't work for me at all. Alt Tabbing Does work at all ie minizming the game. I have it installed on 2 different computers and they each have there own game busting bugs that pop up after awhile..

One computer the graphics get all screwy after awhile and it crashes and the graphics stay all screwy for that save. The other one just crashes randomly during combat. I cant create large galaxies on one computer cause the game refuses to fill out the solar system no warp points or suns after a certain number . The other one gives all the warp points and such but the game is so terribly slow at processing ill be 40 before i finish a game. Which wouldnt be so bad if the increase in processing time was directly tied to an improved Ai.. But sadly its not. The AI is more incompetent than ever.

I have Organic Satellites with one piece of organic Armor on automatically regenerate it appears to be all armor damage every few seconds so i put 3 sats down and i can stop 6,7 frigs.. And this is what 2,3rd patch?.

I've never made it to turn 50..Only thing that i can do and find enjoyable and semi playable is turn all techs on and have ships and such fight each other in the simulator. And even thats a chore if i want decent sized battles cause i still have to manually add ever ship,fighters,sat and such after i painstakenfully click and drag craploads of modules to the ship

And thats just part of the UI problems.

Maybe in 5,6 months and 4,5 patches and the balanced mod even more refined it'll actually be playable..
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bah I Give Up

I can relate to what you have said. In fact I was just sitting here as the PC warmed up thinking about the game and about how I just don't feel that it measures up to the previous version.

But I also keep reminding myself that this game and its developer are not like other game companies. That despite the many flaws of the game, it will get better over time. That the developer will continue to work on improving the game and fixing what is wrong long after the bean counters say end it.

I hope that in 5 or 6 months from now you return and find that the game has indeed gotten a lot better and choose to play it again.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

First thing:
Don't play stock. Get Kwok's balance mod (AKA KwokStock)

You probably need to set the video memory to safe mode (in the video setup on the very first splash screen)

Those two things should relieve a lot of your issues.
Setting the Hotkeys to something you're used to, and shift-click on numbers and the design screen are big things for the UI side.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM

Sergeant

Santiago is on a distinguished road

I had a lot of issues until I went to safe mode, but that begs the question. How many people are having to use safe mode to be able to play and if its a high percentage then is there an underlying problem in the basic design of the game/graphics engine? Or does it work on one pc, the developer's?

ps Kwok's Balance Mod Rocks

@ Atrocities - while I agrre with you to some extent that it doesn't measure up, Do you have direct knowledge of poor sales or this sense that the developer has lost hope for this title or is this behind the scenes rumours? Curiosity really, Not everyone is in the know.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:31 AM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Santiago said:
Curiosity really, Not everyone is in the know.
Some of us just prefer not to know. A little faith… If it’s all the same I would prefer this one be kept to PM’s please.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:42 AM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
I can relate to what you have said. In fact I was just sitting here as the PC warmed up thinking about the game and about how I just don't feel that it measures up to the previous version. I don't see a lot of the more serious issues being resloved in the face of poor sales in a sales dictates support environment. I cannot help but agree that the sense is that even the developer might have lost hope for this title.

But I also keep reminding myself that this game and its developer are not like other game companies. That despite the many flaws of the game, it will get better over time. That the developer will continue to work on improving the game and fixing what is wrong long after the bean counters say end it.

I hope that in 5 or 6 months from now you return and find that the game has indeed gotten a lot better and choose to play it again.
I hope so. Id love to play the game as it should of been.. Maybe ill be able to after some more patchs.. But it has a long ways to go..

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
First thing:
Don't play stock. Get Kwok's balance mod (AKA KwokStock)

You probably need to set the video memory to safe mode (in the video setup on the very first splash screen)

Those two things should relieve a lot of your issues.
Setting the Hotkeys to something you're used to, and shift-click on numbers and the design screen are big things for the UI side.
Me and my friend tried Mp in the balance mod and this computer has it and what i've been using.. The other one doesn't..

I've knocked down the video detail lvls ill try the safe mode thing maybe it'll get rid of the graphical problems. And yea those things make the UI easier but still its just a pain
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Bah I Give Up *DELETED*

Quote:
Do you have direct knowledge of poor sales or this sense that the developer has lost hope for this title or is this behind the scenes rumours?
Huh? WTH? No no, I don't have any such direct knowledge and have editted my comments to avoid giving that impression.

I was trying to relate to the poster and how he felt about SE V. I have been there, with games like BOTF, Rebellion, Tribes Vengence, and Moo3. In other words I have been in his shoes. I wanted to express to him that SE V is not like other games and that despite its flaws it will continue to get better. I simply just didn't articulate my comments well enough to correctly express my intentions.

I play SE V daily and am very thankful for such a privlage. I have nothing but faith in the developer and the game.

Old December 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Private

The Gnome is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm lucky having had no expectations for the game at all. I had just gone through massive disappointment with NWN2 though and know what you mean.

It's harder to accept flaws in something that you're really passionate about.
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah, good one. Which is more disappointing, SEV or NWN2 ? Both are horrible bugged, but NWN2 at least offers decent graphics.

lol
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Ragnarok-X said:
Oh yeah, good one. Which is more disappointing, SEV or NWN2 ? Both are horrible bugged, but NWN2 at least offers decent graphics. lol
NWN2? What is this?