.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM

Corporal

Methel is on a distinguished road
Default EA Oceania

Well since Smu666ler got advice for Yomi I figure Id ask for a
few pointers with Oceania.

Never played a ocean nation before so kinda starting from scratch here.
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA Oceania

I would think that the general Dom3 forum is better for that. But it probably wont work to say that unless people dont answer here, and do answer there.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

I actually felt sorry for you cause smu666ler is getting all kinds of posts for his pretender but you're getting no love.

I'm by no means an expert but heres my take based on what little I've played of them and what some other players have suggested.

I hate that their sacreds are ocean only. That said, try to dominate the oceans with lots of triton knights. Can't say what bless works well with them (besides W bless) I would add astral bless for the MR myself. They already recuperate.

When you're ready to tackle land provinces I just pump out mermen like they are going out of style. Try to research conjuration for some summons. (Sea King comes to me at the moment.) And recruit indies to help where you are weak. Which to me is everywhere BECAUSE YOUR SACRED TROOPS ARE WATER ONLY!! Did I mention I hate that?
Though I suppose fish amulets are good at bringing your amber mages and bishop fish and triton princes to help out on land.

That's really the best I can give you. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge can be better help.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Corporal

I chose this part of the forum becouse it directly about multiplayer. Playing the game vs the computer is a whole different thing imho.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

It's true, but people often ask questions about MP tactics in the main forum, and this forum is normally used for organising games. It doesn't matter very much though, I think.

Can't really help with Oceania I'm afraid. They seem pretty good to me, I've just had a very long hard slog of a war with them playing as Sauromatia, and considering I was probably at least twice the size of Oceania to start with it's been very hard work!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

Don't really have the energy for a pretty post atm, but i've been playing them live (against Ilamabeast)and i'll share a few tidbits.

Under the sea Oceana is pretty tough, but the land is a challenge. If you are serious about conquering the surface world you need to find usefull indies and build them fast.

Wave warriors should be your main troop type because they are the best amphibious troops you have, but all of your amphibious troops are vulnerable to archery and so slow on the land that they will suffer many volleys while closing. Without Arrow Fend it takes a pretty serious army to beat even the PD of an archery nation.Haste and Quicken are good ideas if you are fighting on the land with your native troops.

Air magic will be very usefull to you. Arrow Fend is key, and lightening and Fog Warriors work underwater. For this reason you may want air 4 on your god so you can make powerup items.

Mermages are ok underwater, but not too hot on the land. One in four of them can make Fish Amulets if you can find some air gems, use these to send Amber Mages and Bishop Fish onto the land.

Acid is you national evocation suite. The Ambers can do it if you can get them on the land, and you can build Staves of Corrosion for Wave Lords.

Water Ward, Mass Protection, and Mass Regen are key for serious underwater fights. Geyser is somewhat usefull given that are few other choices for underwater evocation.

Since your sacreds are underwater only i would not go crazy on a bless, but if R'yleh is in play astral is probably a good plan.

Triton Kings are good thug chasis.

Bishop Fish need an amulet to go ashore, but $120 for H3 is terrific and i think they are the only build everywhere H3s in the era. As a plus, even though they are old they have 17 hp and it takes them a couple years to die of disease.

I'm afraid i did not face any serious opposition from the other underwater nations in the one game i played, so i can't really say too much there from experience, but my sence of it from SP play is that you have a serious edge against Atlantis, and lesser edge agasint the other two until R'yleh gets an excessive number of Aboliths. I'd say finding and destroying R'yleh should be a priority. Your late game is weak and R'yleh's is strong, so the sooner you can have it out with them the better.

If i get some time his weekend i might add some more thoughts.

Oh yea, one other thing- try not to start in a lake! :>
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM

Corporal

Nice post Tyrant, appreciate it.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

If you get into a war underwater get a huge number of sea trolls and cast shark attack(aswell as using your aquatic units) for some fun