.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default World of Geometry (337 prov)

When Pharaex the Geometer, the Astrologer of Doom, Slaver and Master of the Big Monsters, God's of Men Fate, The Rock, Lord of Simetry and Geometry, Prince of the Surface and the Underworld, The Persuasive One, Guardian of Existence, Ruler of the Metal Orders, Guide of Souls, The Dark Smith, He Who Is At The Center, The Unforgiving God, (etc...) became the new Pantokrator, after having enslaved most of his competitors, he banished the few remaining pretender gods and their followers, to the valleys near the Border of the World mountains, keeping the rich Plain of the Middle for his worshipers, and establishing himself At the Center (like His Title said), where lies the Throne of the World, on the Isle of Eternia.

But in his megalomaniac love for Geometry, Pharaex has used far too much of his power reshaping his realm to make all provinces hexagonal, and he is now trapped in his physical form on the isle, under the protection of his two generals... and the other pretenders are rising again.

There are two ways to reach the Isle.

The easiest road goes through the Plains of Eternia. It's a rich area with lots of fat farmlands, and only defended by some garnisons of mortal followers of Pharaex. But the shape of the plains makes very hard to establish a tough realm in this area, all provinces border 6 others, and as 11 other pretender gods have the same hopes as yours, attacks against your positions can come from everywhere.

There is another way, a shorter road, by one of the four gateways of the Underworld, under the Border Mountains. But the underworld is heavily guarded, by the magical armies and the Big Monsters of Pharaex, former pretender gods He succeeded to enslave. This road isn't easy at all, but the rewards may worth the risk. Lots of magical gear can be looted on the keepers, and most province of the underworld also have many sites. The ones with the gateways, especially, are known to make many rituals cheaper.

--

This map has been made with the idea of a "King of the Hill" (in this case "the isle") kind of game. Start position are very balanced (same number and kind of neighbors for everyone), and players start at about the same distance of each other and of the objective. There is only one VP, the Isle of Eternia, and a "cumulative VP" victory condition would be the best I think (anyway even with standard victory conditions, Eternia remains an important place, as the Throne of the World in there).

(more infos about everything in the readme)

PS : The graphics are not mine, as I'm lazy and have two left hands I've used parts of other dominions maps (mostly Cradle of Dominion) as patterns in gimp. The result is sometimes strange (ie : mountaintops and trees are cut by province borders) but globally good looking. I hope the authors have nothing against my use of their artworks.

----------------

- Version 0.31 (corrected some terrains and added a lot more special garrisons)

- Version 0.4 (corrected some wrong commands and connections, adjusted the garrisons)

- Version 0.5 (fixed the deep seas caves and some bugs, tried to balance more garrisons, changed special sites distribution, new version of the tga, added worshipers of the enslaved gods)

- V 0.5b (2 missing neighbours added)

- Version 0.5c (fixed a big bug caused by wrong quotation marks, making most deep sea garrisons and sites land units/sites instead)

- Version 0.6 (added #killfeatures for provinces with 3 or more special sites, to be sure they appear)

- Version 0.7 (added supply items for some big garrisons)

- Version 1.0 (I think all bugs/connexions are now fixed so probably definitive)

* all special sites should now appear
* cities made more important
* central encounter made harder (Pharaex has now a ghost king prophet supported by a communion of ghost mages)
* added two little mods you may or not use with this map (one make Pharaex impossible to charm and harder to affect with MR spells, the other triple the fatigue cost of enslave and charm, allowing less attempts to take control of big monsters)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 565082-World of Geometry.zip (2.37 MB, 2062 views)

Last edited by lch; August 27th, 2008 at 11:25 AM..
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World of Geometry (337 prov)

Oooooh, pretty! Me likey!
Emergency comic relief
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Captain

PPSS : the map is for 12 nations (10 land, 2 sea), there are no other start positions.
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

Monstermom!
Nice map, definetly interested in. Trying out now. As a side note, its dizzying when I zoom out all the way like I usually do. It's quite playable at a more normal zoom, however.
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road

Twan, your borders are simple and functional but still appealing, and on the whole it seems pretty balanced. This would probably make a popular multiplayer map. Great work!
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

On a side note, some of the province connections are a bit odd, what with 94, 86, and whatnot. That's certainly intended, but I was wondering from a roleplaying or geographic perspective what they were.

I don't mind from gameplay, but my brain wants to label what its seeing, and has no idea.
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Captain

The fronteers have been drawn first (and the connections thought to have each player access to the central plain threatened by his neighbours) far before I add graphisms. I've then fullfilled the provinces with graphical patterns, and so the pictures of mountains don't have necessarily their mountains blocking impassable borders etc... See the pictures of terrain X as the symbol of a terrain type X in the province, nothing else (I'm a little too lazy to adapt all images to my strange connections).

PS : The hall of fame of my test game with 11 AIS... the 11 first places are trusted by Pharaex beasts.

1. White Cow of Pharaex (Great White Bull with heroic quickness... seem to have destroyed several Arco AI army, 200+ victims).
2. Enslaved Gorgon (with unequaled obesity)
3. Enslaved Shedu
4. Red Pet of Pharaex
5. Octopus of Pharaex
5. (etc...)
10. General of the East
11. General of the West
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:32 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Wow. Nice map!
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

looks cool. giving it a look-see.
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Nice!