.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM

Private

coinspinner_72 is on a distinguished road
Default Primea

I used the Semi Randomizer to generate this map for a multiplayer game I am running, but replaced the map graphics with something more like the Seven Seas map. It has 150 provinces and 12 starting locations, but does not have any water starts. This is what it looks like.

http://i27.tinypic.com/ng3nyv.jpg

There are a few graphical things that I changed after I uploaded that picture, but by and large it is the same. I thought some folks might like a new "random" map with a different graphic style.

EDIT: This map should work now. I had to rebuild the .map files so the original semi randomized .map file won't work. Since I redid the .map file I also included the none semi randomized one.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 579355-Primea.rar (2.03 MB, 1628 views)

Last edited by lch; August 26th, 2008 at 08:09 AM..
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Corporal

DigitalSin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map (Sorta)

Beautiful map, coinspinner.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Looks great. I'll give it a go.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

This looks brilliant. How did you make it look like that?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Private

Quote:
llamabeast said:
This looks brilliant. How did you make it look like that?
Hmm, not sure how detailed you want me to get, but I can give the general gist of what I did. First step is to have a graphics program that lets you have a bunch of layers, so you can stack the map elements on top of each other and turn them on/off and adjust the transparency. I use a rather old version of Paint Shop Pro (version 7 I think).

First I copied the original random map into a new layer that sits on top of everything else. That way I can adjust it to around 50% transparency and still see the layers below.

For the water, I copied a section of the Seven Seas map and just pasted it a bunch of times into a "Deep Water" layer. I cleaned up any seams caused by the pasting by hand.

I then made a "Base Ground" layer on top of the water layer and outlined the land areas with a tan color I got from the Seven Seas map. Then filled in the rest of the ground with the same color. I made Base Grass, Base Mountain, Base Waste, and Base Swamp layers the same way using a color for each terrain type from the Seven Seas map. I had three separate layers for the brown land outline and the two different water outline colors.

The Forests are just a section of tress pasted over and over from the Seven Seas map into a Trees layer. The mountains are made up of four different mountains I copied from the Seven Seas map and pasted into a Mountain layer. I covered up where the mountains meet the ground using a hill from the Seven Seas map. I used two layers there. One for foreground hills that would be in front of the mountains and one for background hills that would be behind the mountains. The grass in the swamps and farms are again just repeated patterns from the Seven Seas map, as are the three large buildings on the map. I made the little white "farmhouses" myself. The random map had a kind of giant figure in one of the provinces. I traced it using the brown color and added the lines to make it look like it had smashed into the ground.

The key to making everything blend like it does was to give each of the Grass, Swamp, Waste, and Mountain layers a Gaussian blur. It took me a good hour or so of fiddling around trying different things to figure that part out. Without that each of the grass, swamp, etc. sections would have had a hard border where I outlined them. It would have looked more like a table top map where you use different colored felt to denote different terrain types. You can see in the linked picture where I forgot to erase some of the grass sections that blurred into the rivers.

To make the borders I used a vector line and just drew them on a layer on top of everything else. One important thing is that for some reason the game did not like pure white borders. I had to change the color to a slightly off white tone or the borders would get corrupted and looked kind of crappy. Once they were all drawn I went into a single player game and tested it to make sure the way each province connected to the other made sense. I had to move some mountains and some of the borders so that there were actually open paths from connecting provinces. I think I got all of them.

The whole thing took me a couple of days, but I was experimenting to see what worked and what didn't. If I did another one I think I could do it in at least half the time. One of the reasons this is not as nice looking as the Seven Seas map is I got a little burned out on it and didn't put in as many little details.
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

coinspinner, you're a legend. I'm very impressed. I've spent enough time playing around in GIMP (another graphics program, if you haven't come across it) to be able to follow all your steps, and I'm very impressed with your ingenuity and the sheer amount of work. Nice one!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I must second llamabeast's post. Very nice looking map!
One problem that I have found. The map image appears to be missing the white province pixels. Hopefully you just have a layer of white pixels that you can apply. Hope to see a fixed version soon as I look forward to playing a game on this map.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Very nice. You have some talent with maps Coinspinner. I hope you try another one in the future.

I take it the map is unplayable as is without the white province pixels?

I occasionally post something useful.
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:37 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Yes. Dominions uses the white pixels to locate the provinces on the map image and matches them with the items in the ".map" file.

Coinspinner,
I'm not sure if PSP supports it, but in GIMP you can 'select by color' all of the white pixels in the original random map and copy/paste them into your map. The location of the pixels have to be pretty exact or it will break the code of your existing map file.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Private

I'll fix that as soon as I can. I had no idea the white pixels were needed, as it seemed to work when I tried it out in singleplayer and the few turns of the multiplayer game have gone fine. Admittedly we haven't gotten very far in the multiplayer game (see below), and I only tested it out in single player to see if the province connection lines looked reasonable.

Unfortunately, a recent storm knocked out my home PC which was the one on which I was hosting the multiplayer game. I'm hoping that all I need to replace is the power supply, otherwise it will be some time before I have a PC at home and can do any work on the map.