.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:23 AM

Sergeant

BewareTheBarnacleGoose is on a distinguished road
Default Modding "Trap" spells?

I was wondering if it would be possible to mod new spells that function like a trap- kind of like domes, but activating when an army enters (or maybe even leaves) a province?

If it does work, it would be thematic as well as cool. I can think of two examples in myths where something sort of trap-like magically (er, "divinely") happens- There's Moses' nifty stunt with the Red Sea, and in the Tibetan epic of Songtsän Gampo, the king's emissary is saved from capture in a forest when the trees rise out of the ground to let him pass, but come back down on the heads of the pursuing Chinese army.

That sort of thing could provide flavor text, but the effects could just come from existing remote attack rituals. The traps would still be useful, especially as a way to catch raiders that move in the magic phase.

Anyway, something tells me this probably cant be modded, but I hope someone can prove me wrong!
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding "Trap" spells?

Uhh, you could remote friendly summon some sort of immobile unit? See Summon Kelp Ancient in CBM for an example.

If you wanted a spell effect you could make the thing #onebattlespell something if it gets into combat, more like the Avatar of Darkness spell for MA Agartha in CBM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kianduatha For This Useful Post:
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Sergeant

BewareTheBarnacleGoose is on a distinguished road

That's a pretty good idea. What I dont like, though, is that, if the remote-summoned unit survives, then it gets to fight again in the next battle, which might make it too good. Or too weak, in the attempt to balance it.

I suppose a way around that would be to add the script from gladiators that cause them to "die" after 1 battle. Would that work?

A unit would also be visible, which would kind of ruin the "trap" feel. I suppose that adding glamor would take care of that, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to BewareTheBarnacleGoose For This Useful Post:
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:42 AM

Sergeant

GFSnl is on a distinguished road

That's actually a pretty neat idea!

A glamorous very strong unit with no mapmove and the gladiators script to disappear after one battle.

Let us know if it works. I'm very interested.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Private

Starbelly Geek is on a distinguished road

Make it a level 10 or 12 spell, and tie it to a site (bandit lair, maybe, Enter to cast X) and let it remote summon an Ambush. A tough leader and a stack of melee and archer bandits. Or vine ogres and vinemen with a druid leader, summoned from a circle site. Or phantom soldiers and wolves with an air mage leader summoned from an air site. If the units go away after one combat, it could even be relatively balanced if they're summoned to a friendly province, especially if the leader and/or toughest troops were unique.