World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old June 17th, 2014, 03:09 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Question Modeling Micro UAVs?

Hiya folks,
I got to wondering what the collective thinks is the best way to model micro UAV (Black Hornet, T-Hawk, Bayraktar, etc) within the game? Or conversely whether we need to as our "god view" already models these front line recon tools?

Is the best way to:
1. create a size 0, slow flying (speed 10) Light Helo and add it to a rifle platoon?
[+ allows rifle platoon to launch it to "see" further and over blocking terrain]
[- too susceptible to enemy (AA) fire?]
2. increase the Vision rating of equipped units?
[+ no way to be "shot down"]
[- doesnt allow vision over blocking terrain]
3. increase the exp rating of equipped troops?
[+ more likely to spot stuff]
[- doesnt allow vision over blocking terrain]
4. ignore - "they are already modelled by UAVs in game"?
5. ignore - "Our gamers 'God-view' already simulates this"?
6. something else?

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modeling Micro UAVs?

Almost all the current UAV's are size 0 and have a significant EW rating. While they're reasonably hard to hit with radar guided weapons or MPADS/SAMs (a recent change causes Area SAMs to no longer fire on them) they're still fairly vulnerable AAMGs, if your opponent is mechanized they'll have a LOT of them and in spite of what the game tips say the chance to hit is about 8% so you can pretty much guarantee that if 12-15 AAMGs fire at a UAV it'll go down.
In my experience Spotter Aircraft/UAVs are of limited value (especially since they're very expensive units) since the AI always has a significant number of AA weapons. The best use I've found for them it to fly them over your own positions, well back from the front lines, to draw AA and deplete MPADS so later in the game you can get some use out of helos/aircraft because they also fall like raindrops to the AI's AA.
Of course if you're playing against another player who forgets to buy, or buys minimal, AA the situation is entirely different.

The "God View" actually simulates UAVs reasonably well. Increasing the Vision Rating of units will make them more expensive (particularly if you go for TI/40+) and may cause some balance issues since if all an OOBs units average 20% more expensive due to increased Vision ratings you may find yourself running out of ammo, if not necessarily units, before a game is finished since the units you do have will have to shoot/kill more to make up for the lack of units overall.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

I've actually thought a little about this. Every US rifle company is now Equipped with a Raven drone. It seems the best way to model this is to give the company command unit a high visibility rating. I realize creating a unique CO squad would take up an OOB slot, and I believe that these drones are tactically limited enough that they don't really need to be modeled, but that is how I would do it. Also, these small drones operate by line of sight FM radio, so the terrain restrictions wouldn't be all that unrealistic.
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Command units are a bad idea, as much as I like them myself.
Because a player can, and probably will, target command units to disrupt the opposition if they're readily identifiable.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:36 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Command units are a bad idea, as much as I like them myself.
Because a player can, and probably will, target command units to disrupt the opposition if they're readily identifiable.
Just like in real life
Old June 18th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Modeling Micro UAVs?

The first unit of a Rifle Company is the HQ unit. I do not see a need to create in the OOB a Rifle Co HQ. We have ten slots in a formation, I would not advise using a slot to put a UAV.

Alternately, modify existing UAV as to range, visibility, etc in the Editor. Use the ScenHack to create the UAV as a platoon. Return to the Editor and attach the UAV to the Rifle Co. Then, after saving return to ScenHack and change the UAV platoon back to a section and save.

This may accomplish what you are seeking to do with the available game resources.