.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Medal OT: "The Reincarnation", how about a Dominions Guild?

So licker, in the "what other games you play" thread mentioned a fun little browser game called "The Reincarnation". I find it most similar to an old BBS game I used to play that was called Falcon's Eye (this is not the Nethack Falcon's Eye, see the homepage here).

Basically, you select a mage of some color (white red blue green black; nothing like every other high-fantasy game) and start your little kingdom. It is basically a resource management game where you are trying to grow your kingdom. Like Falcon's Eye (and most BBS games like this) there is no map, and land and other resources are completely abstracted. Land is gotten by simply 'exploring' for it or attacking someone and taking theirs, spatial positioning doesn't really exist.

You also recruit units, summon units, research spells, build items, and of course there is a 'black market' where you can buy troops and items. There's a ton of all this stuff. There's even heroes (a little like Dominions commanders, and they can even be equipped with stuff). Focus is largely on recruiting units and composing armies, while kingdom management is in managing abstract resources (land, gold, population, research).

I thought it might be fun to have some of the Dominions players make mages and form a guild to work together. The server regarded as the one most used by newbies (a server called GUILD) is going to be resetting soon. Once resetted, everyone starts over; the games last for about 3 months, at the end of which there is an Armageddon and whoever survives is declared winner. The GUILD server is on the Armageddon countdown now.

If you want to jump into the Dominions guild, post here. You should probably make a mage on one (or more) of the servers (probably either GUILD or BETA) and get some practice before the reset.

http://www.the-reincarnation.com/
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: "The Reincarnation", how about a Dominions Guild?

Do you already play omni?

I would be willing to join a dom guild though, even if it were totally noob

I mostly only play solo over there, other than to make occasional mages on other servers to practice certain things, as some of the guild politics can get really annoying and time consuming to deal with.

Though clearly some people enjoy that aspect of it

It is a game that is much much better when there are more targets... err players in it
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM

BANNED USER

nope. I just discovered the game, so I'll stick on the noob server for now.

I think it would be fun if there were a dominions alliance there. everyone in the top 10 are all one guild, I get the feeling that to do anything in the game you need to cooperate.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Captain

Yes you do need to cooperate on those servers to rank.

You can also play as a war guild, though that is difficult for noobs too, but you learn alot by dying

The noob server isn't really only for noobs, it just cuts out the ultimate spells which simplify things somewhat, but there are still plenty of hard core players. And the arch server allows oversummoning which is a PITA in my opinion.

I suggest making a couple mages on different servers just to practice the opening sequence of building up to research. Here's some basic guidance for starting a new mage. You can find lots of this information in greater detail in the guides or forums though as well:

Critical thing to realize is that you genrally want 100% research completely before you go attack crazy.

Also you are protected for the first 120 turns, so use them to explore and build, then wait for the server limit (or close to it) turns to accumuulate and spend those all so that you essentially got 300 turns of protection to set yourself up.

Research occurs automatically, but you want lots of guilds to speed it up. So first thing to do is build up to 299 (or 399) workshops to speed up your building, build them in small batches (1 or 2 turn max builds) else you lose the extra build potential.

Then start building guilds and only guilds. Explore ~5 turns, build guilds, repeat until you are ~2000 acres or are hitting 120 turns.

Oh, and disband your entire starting army, it's **** anyway, do that first so you don't waste the upkeep. You can also destroy your baracks for more room for guilds/workshops.

Research should start in phantasm magic until you get concentration (this is for any color), then switch it around to pick up the cheap spells as you build more guilds. The expensive spells get a bigger relative break in research time as you max out your guilds (1000+ is what you want). When your spell power gets to ~70 cast concentration, this will speed up your research some more.

AFter this dispell and recast concentration every time your spell power goes up by 60 or so.

You can also look at what skill you want to advance, this depends on color and play style, but Legendary Commander and Grand conquorer are not bad one's to get at least one level in early, after that you probably want to switch to your colors specific skill.

Ignore the black market for the most part until you figure out some of the rest of the game.

Sitting on a big pile of geld is good because later on if there is a nice hero available you can bid on them and have a shot at them. Getting low level cheap heros is usually a waste, especailly if you haven't figured out how to properly stack your army as you will get your hero(s) killed too easily.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Captain

And I will note that on all servers but solo you can ally (and should) with up to 2 other mages. You share some info with your allies and can help each other with spells (mostly if one of them is a verdent to cast serenity to remove hostile spells) and you will send a stack of troops to help your allies defend/attack as well.

So let me know what server(s) you are on and I will make mages there to ally with you (and a 3rd if we get one) just to try to learn some of the ropes before you think about actually making a new guild.

Of course I can't do this until next week since I'm out of town for the weekend, but let me know anyway.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM

BANNED USER

I'm on GUILD right now and may start a mage on on other server, probably ARCH or BETA. I'm not sure what the BLITZ server is like, didn't see it even talked about in the guides.
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Captain

Oh guild, not arch, sorry got confused for a minute

Blitz is just faster otherwise not too different. Solo is very different, but I enjoy it the most since you can do what you want without worrying about gbs from stupid petty guilds
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM

BANNED USER

hmm ok. well I'm on GUILD right now. I've actually already done what you suggested, and used exactly 120 turns (so I'm still apprentice, and can't be invaded). I'm now waiting to pick up the max number of turns, and then I'll spend them all at once, going into the world as buffed as I can be.

I was actually not planning on waiting around for research, but was going to begin attacking immediately . I was thinking of picking a weak target, and hitting them with 200 turns and all my saved up geld's worth of fury, then build guilds on whatever land I can steal.

seemed I read somewhere that this was a tactic used by some. Since it's close to armageddon anyway, might as well play around....
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Captain

Yeah, didn't realize how close that server was to arma, I made a nether mage for the hell of it, but we'll see.

That adivice is better for starting mid round, if you start at the beginning you can ignore research a bit, but you have to be able to rush people effectively, and grow without getting knocked down again (so you do need some research, because barracks troops utterly suck), or play as a hoarder to geld up like crazy and hope to buy some powerful heros to boost your later start.

I'm no expert really, I kinda do what's fun for me, but typically in those first 120 turns you can explore to ~1500+ and put in your 299 or 399 workshops 500+ guilds (I go for closer to 1k) and the rest into some more nodes and towns/farms.

Once you have your 200 fresh turns you can do alot of things, but realize that you cannot target the same mage over and over (other than in arma) as once they lose 30% of their np they enter protected status.

You do have to balance your mana and geld economies to support whatever troops you are running, and you need usually around 10k total troops to acheive max gains in sieges. Though if you're just trying to kill someone you should probably use less, but that's more of an advanced topic anyway

Check your mail over there, assuming you are omnii
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

sol it's like utopia?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.