.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Placeholder for atleast one EA nation, quite possibly two, based specifically on Scottish/Welsh and German folklore, and general faerie elements. I won't get around to finishing this one for a while-and I'll finish Aksum as much as I can, before I start on it-but I definitely am going to work on it-to keep myself from getting burned out on Africa.

Like the rest of my nations, Aksum aside, it's free for taking over, or just helping with, if anyone's interested.

A couple thoughts on units:

Seelie Court.

1 Fireflower Bush: This is a size 4 immobile, no teleport, thorny bush cheap summons AND capital only unit with spiked armour and the ability to do weak poison. It'll function as a PD-booster, and as a factory unit. It'll produce fire sprite archers (1 Hp, Bows do 1 point Fire Dmg, Sacred, Combat only).

2 Great Yew: Size 6 move 1 summon-sacred tree that can attack with it's branches.
Again, functions as a factory unit, but it produces sacred dragonfly knights (1 hp, 1 dmg magical weapon, 1st strike, flying, secondform: non-sacred dragonfly) in combat only.

3: Wmach: Expensive capital only giant commanders, armed with mattocks, with the ability to permanently shape-change into Ancient Menhirs-which will be Sacred, spread Dominion, and have the ability to cast Divine Bless at the beginning of battle.
Only access to Holy Magic outside of Prophet, and 1 unique summons.

4: Faery Queen: as per the generic summons (FS, Stealthy, Recup, Fly, Healer 30, MagB, A3, N3), but a recruitable Sacred, Capital only.

6: Green Knight: Size 3 armoured unit with greataxe, has a second, headless form, regenerates/heals self. Capital only.

7: Gruagach: Fire/Nature mage, Sacred, recruitable anywhere, can shapechange into a large white dog.

8: Wicker Man: Construction Summons with a Fire Aura.

9: Eorl King: Fairy king, good commander, has some magic but not as powerful as the Queen, Sacred, recruitable everywhere.

10: Bradan Feasa: "Salmon of Wisdom" Unique summon, sacred, water only, powerful magic user/priest (Holy 3), excellent researcher, stats similar to Monster Fish, but a Commander.

11: Leipreachan: Size 2 unit with natural Luck, fights with fist and magical shortsword, recruitable anywhere.

12: Bean Nighe: Recruit anywhere, Awe/Seduce, mage, amphibious.

13: Spriggan: Recruit anywhere basic commander. Armed with poisoned clubs.

14: Willow-Men: Summonable treemen, akin to Vine Ogres, but more powerful.

15: Seelie can summon Morrigans, like the Fomorians

Heroes:
Fianndos-Fomorian giant hero with magical weapons, summons the men of the Fianna, who also have magical weapons.
Oisin-son of Findos, and the first bard.
Finnbhennach-White bull that grants a huge Supply bonus. Also a good combatant with high Berserk.
The Head of Bran the Blessed: Big Giant Head-Holy 3, great researcher, immobile.
The Great Willow-immobile/no teleport, high Nature/Water, can attack with it's limbs, summons Willow Men.
Wayland Smith: Immortal-Excellent Forger.

Multiheroes:
Pict Chieftain: Size 1, Str. 15, lots of Stealth, armed with magical stone clubs, they summon Pict Warriors, also Stealthy, who are armed with spears and poisoned slings.

Pict warriors also feature in PD.

Meri-Morgan: Amphibious mage/seducer with Awe who summons beautiful but vicious Merrows, in water only.

Faerie Friar: Enchanted human holy men, have Holy 2 and wield weapons akin to Herald Lances.

Jack 'O The Lantern: Immortal, grows stronger in darkness, great against undead, summons Wisps

Pretenders:
Green Man:
Description: "A tree of stone and moss, in the shape of a Man, that is nonetheless a living tree, crafted still from living stone, shifting shadows, and the Dead...Drinking deeply of the blood of the World, and ruling over all Faerie as a God, he now seeks to become a God of the greater World."

Black Cauldron-immobile, summons Bodachs-sacred, immortal longdead.

The Daghda: Wmach Pretender. Size 6 giant, possessing a magical club, and healing powers.

Unseelie:

1: Hawthorn-Size 6, Sacred. Immobile/No Teleport tree summon with spikey armour, can attack with it's branches and does weak poison damage, summons Grigs (sacred, 1 hp, 1 Dmg poison thorn-+ weak poison). Spreads Dominion. Casts 'Divine Bless' at the beginning of battle.

2: Dullahan-Capital only chariot/blood mage, Fear 0, wields a whip made from a human spine, that causes Decay, area 1. has a second, headless form. Heals Self.

3: Kelpie-commander: amphibious faerie horse with water/death magic, recruitable anywhere, grows more powerful in darkness.

4: Seonaidh-sacred amphibious sea hag summons.

5: Queen of Air and Darkness. Sacred, Capital Only.

6: Powrie: recruitable anywhere, size 1, wield glaives which cause weakness, defense and patrol bonus, very expensive but solid.

7: Horned King (Summons) that himself summons the Cwn Annwn (etherial hounds that grow more powerful in darkness)

8: Black Goose: Sacred goose with Awe, Holy 1. Capital Only.

9: Cyhyraeth: Etherial Undead recruits-recruitable anywhere-grows more powerful in darkness.

10: Coblynau: Recruitable anywhere commanders of the Clurichaun, with Earth 1. Wield magical mauls. Causes Unrest.

11: Gwrach y Rhibyn: Flying, undead Summon with Fear 0.

12: UnSeelie can recruit Morrigans-capital only.

13: Clurichaun: Size 2 unit with natural Twist Fate, fights with fist and magical mallots, recruitable anywhere.

14: Fachen: 1 armed orge. size 4, Fear 0, Str. 25, no slots, Starts afflicted. wields Fachen Chain (Str. damage, area 1, magical). Summon.

15: Boobrie: huge, dangerous bird.

16: Burdock Bush: This is a size 4 immobile, no teleport, thorny bush cheap summons AND capital only unit with spiked armour and the ability to do weak poison. It'll function as a PD-booster, and as a factory unit. It'll produce sluagh archers (1 Hp, Bows do 1 point Shock Dmg, Sacred, Combat only).

17: Tylwyth Teg: Commanders. Akin to Sidhe calvalry.

18: Jili Ffrwtan: Recruitable anywhere, Awe/Seduce mage.

19: Mound King-as the vanilla unit-basic commander.

20: Morag: Kraken-like summons, grows more powerful in darkness.

21: Ghillie Dhub: Wild men with Berserk, stealth, armed with clubs. Feature as PD.

Heroes:
The Calleach
Donn Cuailnge-Black bull that grants a huge Supply bonus. Also a good combatant with high Berserk.
Gwin Ap Nudd: King of the Tylwyth Teg.
Nodens: Father of Gwin Ap Nudd.
Robin Redcap: Leader of the Powrie.

Multiheroes:
Afanc (amphibious monster)
Each Uisge: Kelpie hero
Mallt-y-Nos (faerie hag). Stealthy mage/calvalry, recruitable anywhere.

Pretender:
The Crom Cruach (Crooked God)
The Crom Dubh (Black God)

Last edited by HoneyBadger; October 5th, 2008 at 03:30 PM..
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seelie/Unseelie Courts

I have exactly 0 insight it what these nations would be about, care to elaborate?

PS dominions 3000 nations are welcome.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM

General

Victorianesque fairies, combined with Scottish and Isle of Man myth and mythological beings. Very powerful, magically, but very slow, movement-wise. They'll be a primarily Nature and Fire nation, with no blood, not much holy, and probably no Astral. They'll have sacreds that will work differently than almost any other nation, and they'll feature the Fairy Queen summon, as a recruitable commander, as well as Queens of Air and Darkness, which will be similar, but more sinister. The nation, or nations, will be a good match against Fomoria (kind of meant to be their opposite), and the other Celtic/Sidhe nations, like Tir Na Nog and Marverni, and will be likely to share some of the same concepts, and general "feel".

We'll see how it turns out in the primary (editable) post
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:06 AM

Corporal

Nounours is on a distinguished road

I had started something about fairies of Seelie & Unseelie Courts, but it was in EA, and both Courts formed the same nation (they are complementary rather than opposed, Seelie rules during spring & summer, Unseelie during fall & winter). I was planning on finishing it after Shangri La & another EA nation I called Cantabira & I'm working on, too.
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM

General

If you'd like, we could work together on this-we can still make our own distinct nations if you want (it's always nice to have something to call your own, and I tend to be stubborn about the directions I want creative projects to go), but sharing the research and concepts, and making sure that the nations we create are distinctive, might not be a bad idea-you're a good graphic artist (with access to the unit databases, which I lack), and I like to think I'm getting better, so helping each other out with sprites (pun completely intended) would help keep things on track, and get the work done more quickly for both of us.

Were you intending on making a generic nation, or one based on a specific part of the world?

The word "Cantabira" sounds Spanish/Iberian-and there haven't been any Spanish mods yet.
The Spanish had their faeries too.
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:09 AM

Corporal

JaghataiKhan is on a distinguished road

Ah, that reminded me of Changeling: The Dreaming. I couldn't find a single player interested in it here.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaghataiKhan View Post
Ah, that reminded me of Changeling: The Dreaming. I couldn't find a single player interested in it here.
Most likely because IIRC you offered to make the mod and only(sic) needed someone to do the sprites.

As you have seen, that is a low probability occurance. Many before you have tried with equal success. Ideas are cheap, sprites are real work.

If you go through the dozens of mods here you will not find more than two cooperative efforts.

First you need to post a mod of your own. Then you can look for a partnership.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Personally I like this idea much better than you other nation idea's. I'm not so much in favor of nations that are "historical" nations with some magic to it to fit dominions. This is a real magic nation and I like it.

If you insist on not working on dom3000 nations I think this would be a great nation to do
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Sergeant

Nikelaos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaghataiKhan View Post
i guess if it means that much too you i wouldn't mind doing some sprites, heck i'm bored.
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM

General

This mod will still be based on historical Scottish myths. Aksum, if anything, will probably contain *less* actual historical elements, since the majority of it I made up and patched together-primarily from things I found on Wikipedia and the Internet.