.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 18th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Starshine_Monarch is on a distinguished road
Default Bloody EA Pangaea: Unique Blood spells?

I read in the manual that EA Pangea should try to diversify it's magic near late game with summons. Stuff like Faerie and Lamia queens should be a given, but it mentioned 'unique blood summons'. So, even though I never played them before, I decided to try making a game using them earlier today to see what those unique blood summons were.

I went through the entire list of blood magic and saw not one instance of purple text. I was thinking that they could have meant stuff like Arch Devils or Demon Lords, but the only one who would even be able to have blood magic at that level (at least without several hundreds of slaves used for empowerment) would be the God and the strategy that was mentioned did not have any sort of blood magic on the god.

I was wondering if that was the case, why bother even mentioning it? Granted, Blood and Nature can do some pretty cool stuff, but things like Dark Vines and Cross Breeding are stuff Mictlan can cast just as easily, easier actually because of their natural Blood income and more efficient hunters.

So here, I am coming up with this this topic and I have a few questions for you players and developers.

1) Was EA Pangaea originally supposed to have national blood summons? If so what would they have been?

2) If not, what kinds of incentives would you give EA Pangaea to go down the path of Blood?

I was thinking that perhaps one incentive would be to have a better way to get an income of slaves than sending your frighteningly expensive mages out hunting. I know that Pans attract Maenads, so would it really be so hard to believe that one in every few Maenads showed the qualities typical of blood slaves? Perhaps in exchange for fewer summoned Maenads, the Pans would generate one blood slave every two or three months if that's at all possible?

Another one could be that you can summon unique blood mages. Perhaps some halfmen revel a little too much in the brutality nature? They might ostracize themselves from the rest of Pangaean society, but would be willing to serve in exchange for a host of young girls.

For example: "Some particularly sadistic Satyrs have a penchant for drinking blood. Sometimes they have done this for so long that they can tell pure blood from ordinary blood by it's taste and smell. While most satyrs are found seducing commoner women, this one, once coerced into service, is instead sent among the commoners while they sleep. They go into houses and prick the fingers of sleeping girls, taking a small taste of their blood. If they believe that a girl has the right blood type, the satyr will carry her off into the night never to be seen again."

This summon would be a Black Satyr commander with good stealth, no leadership and armed with a dagger and hoof. No magic, but he'd have enough of a douse bonus to make him roughly equivalent to a standard B1 mage for Blood Hunting. This cheap, low-level summon would help you get started with a blood hunting economy so you don't have to send those valuable Pans out hunting (or at least not for very long).

Now what other stuff might you guys add?
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bloody EA Pangaea: Unique Blood spells?

Purple text is National spells. Which can be unique summons, but usually it's not.

"Unique Blood spells" does mean the Ice and Arch Devils, and the Helios and Lords (and Illearth if you want).

You just need B3W3 for Ice Devils, B4F2 for Arch Devils.

Assuming you're unlucky and never get the 10% or 25% randoms you want:

B2 Pans are common. Empower one to B3N2 (he'll be >N2, of course, but that's the minimum), and he can forge Thorns Armor. Wear it, and he's now B4. Now he can forge a B1 Knife and a B1 Skull for B6. And he can forge Armor of Souls now, which is also B1 and can be removed, and is pretty nice armor for a thug/SC too. But you don't need it yet, and the Devils are not cheap.

Your best bet in EA for B3W3 is the Jade amazons, they are pretty common. 50 slaves to get one to B1W1, plus a water ring and a robe, and wear the skull and knife too for B3W3. Yay, Ice Devils.

Arch Devils are a bit harder since Garnet Sorcs are more rare, and you'd need 35 fire gems to empower one to F2. It's easier to do the Helios first and use the F4B3 one to summon the Arch Devils.

Same deal with the Demon Lords. Use the B4 Helio, empowered once, with: Armour of Souls, Skull, Knife, and the Black Book if you've got it, or a ring of Sorcery if you have that. I can't remember his slots. Empower twice if you need to.

If you're in an MP game with EA Mictlan, and he doesn't get trashed early, then you're going to have a really hard time competing for these uniques, so maybe don't bother, if that's the case.

(Oh, and I don't think Maenads and blood slaves have anything in common, other than their basic equipment. Diametrical opposites, pretty much.)
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I still agree that Pangaea needs national Blood summons. The standard devils and demon lords just don't fit thematically.

Dark Vines are about the only thing that seem to. More along those lines, corrupted nature rather than demonic would be nice. A blood Treelord?

The black satyr idea sounds good. Summonable blood hunters can be a balance issue though, since they can pay for themselves quickly. Or have some drawbacks. Upkeep cost and generate unrest?
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

And going further than that, having national mages that are able to cast national spells would in my opinion also be fairly thematic. You either need to use your pretender, indy mages or empowerment to cast carrion summons.

I would propose a 2N1D mage with 100% chance of N or D and 10% chance of an additional N or D, with the ability to transform a unit into its carrion equivalent ? It would have to be a very expensive unit though. Maybe give it some side effect like unrest ?

Finally, I agree with Starshine_Monarch about the blood aspect : blood requires loads of mages to work properly, and using pans to blood hunt... well... Either a 1B satyr, 1N1B satyr mage would be great for this. And of course, specific blood summons would be great.

EA pangaea lacks diversity about mages, and is very dependant of the pretender magic paths or indy mages.
* Darwi Odrade
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

LA Pythium has a national for summoning a maenad-spawning B1 Satyr (who can seduce females), or something along those lines. Adding more recruitables isn't very probable, because EA is all about big mages with lots of power.

All nationals aren't meant to be castable in all ages. Lanka has all those fancy Blood spells - but IIRC Kailasa can also cast those spells. If it wasn't Kailasa, then Bandar Log. Those spells aren't meant to be used, but to show that the option existed before it was accepted or that the nation could have gone for it, but decided otherwise.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Late Age has death Pans right? And the Carrion spells are thematically theirs, not Early Age. So that doesn't bother me as much.

I'd thought that too about Pans bloodhunting, but I tried it out in a SP game and they do pull in a ton of blood slaves.
Not as cost effective as most blood nations, but not prohibitive either. I do like the idea of, maybe Pandemoniacs, getting slaves instead of Maenads.

But thematically, it's the Nature blood summons that are needed. Pangaea doesn't make sense as demon worshipers. But spilling blood in the dark places of the forests to waken ancient powers of nature. That works.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Well, those are good reasons to be against death magic for EA pangaea. I'll drop the idea then.
* Darwi Odrade
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
(Oh, and I don't think Maenads and blood slaves have anything in common, other than their basic equipment. Diametrical opposites, pretty much.)
I think it's doable. It's mentioned that it's mostly the type of blood, so one or two Maenads might have blood like that. The description of blood slaves on the battlefield also mention that they are drugged into their mindless state and I have no trouble imagining that the Pans know how to make all sorts of different herbal sedatives. Just drug her up to calm her down and poof, instant mindless thrall.

Quote:
The black satyr idea sounds good. Summonable blood hunters can be a balance issue though, since they can pay for themselves quickly. Or have some drawbacks. Upkeep cost and generate unrest?
I had planned for the Black Satyrs to generate unrest, far quicker than any normal Sneak or Reveler. I guess I just forgot to mention it. Sorry. As an additional small balance precaution, since satyrs are lustful creatures by nature, I suppose raising the slave cost of the spell a bit might be warranted.
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Starshine_Monarch said:
Quote:
I think it's doable. It's mentioned that it's mostly the type of blood, so one or two Maenads might have blood like that. The description of blood slaves on the battlefield also mention that they are drugged into their mindless state and I have no trouble imagining that the Pans know how to make all sorts of different herbal sedatives. Just drug her up to calm her down and poof, instant mindless thrall.

Blood slaves are virgins, maenads are maenads.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Nothing that says they couldn't have been virgins before. You just gotta find 'em quick.