Old February 13th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sinapus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [OT] Nation bashing

Quote:
Originally posted by dogscoff:
quote:

Libertarians are for no government,
That would be an anarchist, wouldn't it? I would say that a libertarian wants *some* government, just not much.
Some people think that if you don't want their pet law or government agency controlling something then you must want no government.
Old February 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Andr&eacutes Lescano:
Oh America, great land of freedom and holy protector of the free world. Save us!
We've been good boys, we've always followed you advice, we allowed you to buy each and everyone of our companies and banks until nothing remained of our own, and we never complained. Why when that advice lead us into the worst economic crisis of our history you denied us your help. Of course we've made many mistakes of our own, but your impossible demands don't help.

As you can see anti-american feeling are not strange around here.

Now in this Iraq crisis we're sending humanitarian help.
We're still on the verge of needing humanitarian help ourselves.
We have children starving to death on the streets here on the country that produces more food per capita in the world!
But no, cleaning up the mess made by the great god-state is the priority.

If the US needs to find mass destruction weapons as an excuse (they can do whatever they want without excuse anyway), they will find them whether they exist or not.

Saying the word freedom in every sentence of any speech does not mean you're supporting freedom.

Killing millions only to keep control of the oil marked you already dominate is a very noble cause.

Someone said cutting the head of the snake. Most snakes will leave you alone if you don't step on them first, you know.

Is the mega-empire going to show they're mega-evil or mega-benevolent?

(sorry is this sounds too incoherent, I'm not feeling very coherent today)
First, no one made you guys sell out, if it really happened that way. And second, if you have a surplus of food, and people are still going hungry, then you need to look a little closer to home. And exactly who would we be speaking of as a nation? Perhaps you should mention that in your post.

Think about it
Old February 13th, 2003, 04:40 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Perhaps you should mention that in your post.
Peoples' locations are listed at the foot of each post. Take another look and you'll see Andres is from Rosario, Argentina.
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Corporal

Omega_Prime is on a distinguished road

The problem with anarchy is, that by deffinition, there would be no way to enforce it.
For fear of little men
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

AJC is on a distinguished road

The entire world economy is oil based... The US doesnt need Iraqi oil, in fact after the embargo of the 70s for those that remember it, the US no longer gets the majority of its oil from the Middle east. However Japan, Europe and other economies do...

Whatever you do - dont go around believing your governments are noble, what a load, All the governments are as dirty as the each other...

the Anarchist movement - something thats been around since the 19th century, is about total individual freedom and the elimination of the restraints of a civilized society and hate the globalization of
the world economy - WTO. Some also profess to hate modern technology.

[ February 13, 2003, 15:24: Message edited by: AJC ]
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

Anarchy is not a functional (functionable?) political structure. Government exists to arbitrate disputes arising from the infringement of one person's freedom on another's. Without a government, anarchy quickly devolves into a "might makes right" system. It also relies on all individuals being unselfish, rational creatures. It does not address, for instance, what should be done with the mentally ill, or those who steal/rape/kill for the pleasure of it (as opposed to need/provocation). If everyone is allowed to do what they wish, no one will have any recourse from injustice other than their personal firearm(s). Not exactly what I would call an ideal society.

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aloofi is on a distinguished road

Hehehe, this thread its cooool!

I didn't know you guys engaged in this kind of dixcuxions....
My 2 cents:
1- The US its going to lose to the Arabs.
2- The US will collapse, probably into civil war, then the world economy will collapse, then everybody will be poorer, and we will live in world like in "Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel".
--------------------

When somebody says he is going to kill you.........believe him. -Holocaust survivor
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aloofi is on a distinguished road

Oh, and I forgot to tell that we will never make it to another planet.
--------------------

When somebody says he is going to kill you.........believe him. -Holocaust survivor
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:06 PM

Private

sven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Wizarc:
Hmm, I thought being a Christian was just believing that you believed in a higher power a.k.a whatever the name is for God in their religion.

So now there is a religious class called Christian like Baptist, Catholic, etc?
Depends on who you ask...

I would tend to think that a christian is anyone who believes in the christian god, ie; Christ. However I know certain christian sects have different definitions, for instance my in-laws are born-agains (or pentecostal or evangelical or whatever the heck it is) and according to their dogma only people of that particular denomination are christian.

I'm not sure exactly what they consider the catholics, lutherans, anglicans and all the other denominations to be - but they sure don't consider them "christian".
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:14 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

You mean we're going to end up living in a state of post apocolyptic anarchy? Cool, I'll have to watch Mad Max and Akira and The Stand again, just to remind myself how to survive. i don't remember the details but IIRC the important thing is to have lots of motorbikes...

Anarchy is a nice idea, and one distant day it might even be made to work in some bizarre form (think Culture novels- although technically that's more of a benign deified technocracy, but I digress.) However, as Krsqk points out, you are at the mercy of petty criminals and maurauding warlords kinda like in Xena warrior princess.

That said I do think that ignorance and discontentment would be less widespread in a society with no "big biz" and therefore rape/ murder/ drug abuse/ violence would also be reduced (although not eliminated by any means.)

The other major bummer with anarchy is that it would probably result in technology being set back several hundred years, because modern tech relies on complex business and production infrastructures that would be very hard to maintain in an ungoverned state. You'd have a few mad scientists and small-scale technology producers here and there, but by and large the world would start to resemble some kind of Amish Paradise.