The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 11th, 2003, 03:18 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oooo aaron! - looks like moo3 is flopping... ;) do se5 faster?

If the game had no AI, you would not be able to play it SP. Saying that it has no AI is, as MB said, 100% wrong. Saying that it has bad AI, on the other hand, could be a valid point. But saying that it has no AI is wholely wrong.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 11th, 2003, 03:20 AM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by raynor:
The fact that you say that isn't so makes me think that its wins on smaller maps are more coincidence than anything else.
Coincidence? Really?

Seems obvious to me that you never have played games as I suggested, and must say that these games are really funny to me!

I have played many MP games and in those games, mostly I had the luck to win (for example, I was second in the first Survivor tournament done by GEO). Then, is hard to believe to me, that I lost aprox 50% of my games against the AI by coincidence!!!
But maybe my luck only works with humans! Or
maybe the game settings that I use against the AI are really hard.

I was not saying that SE4 is Deep Blue. But I'm sure that with the right game settings, a player can have a good challenge.

I don't claim to have the universal truth, and understand that you could think different than me, ok?
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe that you have been beat by the AI. At high bonus on a small map, the game is very difficult to beat. With a 5x production bonus and a computer opponent one system away, you are in for a pretty miserable time if not impossible time.

What I meant by coincidence is that you aren't losing because the AI is trying to beat you. Instead, you are losing because you got in the way of its random movement of ships. If the AI is going to send ships to attack two or three nearby systems every so often, then the AI isn't really going to present much of a challenge on a map with hundreds of systems. But on a map with only a few dozen systems, the 2x, 3x or 5x production is going to wipe you out long before you can acquire enough planets to bring your superior strategy to play.
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

Lemmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
If the game had no AI, you would not be able to play it SP. Saying that it has no AI is, as MB said, 100% wrong. Saying that it has bad AI, on the other hand, could be a valid point. But saying that it has no AI is wholely wrong.
Liar
If it had no AI you could still play SP, but it would really be SP, just you and the universe .

It's true that SE4 has an AI...but you'd be amazed at what dumb things (i'm not saying SE4 AI is dumb, it's pretty good for a complex game as Se4) can officially be labelled as Artificial Intelligence

[ March 11, 2003, 10:52: Message edited by: Lemmy ]
Old March 11th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by raynor:
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe that you have been beat by the AI. At high bonus on a small map, the game is very difficult to beat. With a 5x production bonus and a computer opponent one system away, you are in for a pretty miserable time if not impossible time.

What I meant by coincidence is that you aren't losing because the AI is trying to beat you. Instead, you are losing because you got in the way of its random movement of ships. If the AI is going to send ships to attack two or three nearby systems every so often, then the AI isn't really going to present much of a challenge on a map with hundreds of systems. But on a map with only a few dozen systems, the 2x, 3x or 5x production is going to wipe you out long before you can acquire enough planets to bring your superior strategy to play.
Ok. I understand your view.
But then, what game have a good AI for you??
I can't remember any game that I could think: "Hey, I'm really playing against an smart opponent!" (always talking about to play against the AI of course!).
I hope GC would be. I hope SEV or maybe Stars Supernova would be released some day... but honestly can't remember a good AI with your request (It mean to me: act as an intelligent entity).
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:02 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

*scratches his head*

Errr.... I can't really remember playing any other space games besides SEIV for the past two years.

Old August 7th, 2003, 08:37 PM

Sergeant

Cirvol is on a distinguished road

does aaron read this board?

if yes, why does he never bother to reply?

if no, why are we bothering to post this stuff?

it seems a 1.2.5 patch is out for moo3, anyone play with it yet? how is it now? update?
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Roanon is on a distinguished road

I have read about a patch that came out about 1 month ago, I don't know which number. Was the Last patch I have read the feedback from, didn't even bother to install, and decided to leave and definitely never return.
Most but not all bugs were fixed, bit the rest of the bugs still make the game near unplayable - in my opinion. Plus, the basic concept, you look and press turn while the game simulates your empire with as many dumb decisions as possible has not been changed. You still cannot turn off your vicerois (=ministers) completely, you still cannot control the most basic functions, and even if you try to control some of the less important functions you will be kicked in the *** by an user interface that forces you to click about 5 to 10 times for every single action you want to make.

[ August 07, 2003, 20:46: Message edited by: Roanon ]
Old August 7th, 2003, 11:06 PM

Sergeant

Cirvol is on a distinguished road

lol, thats just incredible

*sigh*

i really wanted to love it
with a good ui, i might have loved it

i *like* the idea of macro vs micro...
(esp since my pbw games at turn 150 usually take 4 or 5 hours of contanst detailed orders

i might pick up a used copy to play around with for a cheap price if they ever fix the ui problems
Old August 8th, 2003, 12:51 AM

Sergeant

Katchoo is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this has been mentioned already here but...

There are apparently large blocks of code in MOO3 which were written by people no longer with the MOO3 Team, and the remaining people don't understand or know how to make heads or tails of these blocks of code to fix any problems which may be hiding in there

The general feeling comming out of Atari is that they aren't going to support MOO3 anymore then they already have. People are now clinging to the great white hope that could be MOO4. Atari isn't in any great hurry for another MOO game though...