The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 22nd, 2003, 08:39 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT Farscape Best Scifi Series Ever?

Foiden: B5 did go the entire five seasons, and had one of the best final episodes I've seen.

I actually thought the ending was pretty good, true to the style of the other endings in the series. Then again, I haven't been able to keep up with the series... I've watched all of season 1, I missed a few of season 2, missed all but a few of season 3 (caught the Last few episodes), and I've only seen one other episode in season 4.

Perhaps everyone was setting expectations unrealistically high for the final episode? Myself, I was just expecting it to tie things up, and leave a few things up to the imagination.

The final episode of B5 did that; Sheridan dies/taken beyond rim, station decommissioned, shows what the rest of the characters did with their lives, wondering where they go from there... Ivonava's final line, going something like "... there can always be new beginnings, even for people like us."
Another one that I'm recalling is the end of Quantum Leap. Dr. Beckett gets cut off from "the present", and continues leaping (while not swapping positions with anyone). Everything is made all better for Al, and you're left wondering where Sam goes from there (obviously not home).

Now for Farscape, everyone is pretty much taken care of. There's the option of what happens with Scorpius & Co.; Moya/Pilot, D'Argo, Chyana, Rygel, Stark, and the Old Lady; and whether that whole "neutralization" thing is really permanant (anyone remember the old Batman episode where the world's leaders are turned into piles of Kool-Aid powder? ). The wormhole to Earth is plugged (popped?), removing the option of getting there (since I'm fairly sure everyone has settled on the fact that wormholes are the only way to Earth, correct?). And the whole Peacekeeper v. Scarran thing remains at a stalemate.

The "To Be Continued..." bit at the end did suprise me, though. I don't think there is any real chance of the series being resurrected; if nobody else has picked it up by now, nobody is going to. Perhaps someone will do a movie to conclude it (or if Sci-Fi decides to do a little more with it, probably a mini-series ). This, of course, will most likely flop, since it will only really appeal to Farscape's fan base, and that fan base will be divided... those who are bitter, thought the ending was horrible, want canon to be upheld, etc. will most likely not watch any spinoff movie, mini-series, or full series.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:15 AM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road

The final episode was the best episode of any series ever. The scene where lorien takes sheridden away, and he says "Oh, The Suns Coming Up." That scene was perfect!

Ahhh... But enought about B5...

I have nothing else to say...
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:53 PM

Private

phaet2112 is on a distinguished road

They filmed the season finale before they got the news that SciFi was cancelling them (reneging on contract) so taht is why it said "to be continued". it wasn't inserted after the fact, unlike the crappy one line "SciFi likes to thank all of you SUCKERS for tuning in. HA HA we got you "
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:44 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

I have recently been enjoying Farscape on DVD.
I had no idea I missed so many 2nd year episodes.
Probably because of SCI-FI channels scheduling jugglers.

But, I love this series even more now...

In "Dream A Little Dream" they are stuck on a planet ruled LAW FIRMS, and 90% of the population are lawyers. Eat your heart out Franz Kafka! What a flippin nightmare!!!

[ May 23, 2004, 02:45: Message edited by: Wardad ]
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Sergeant

Cheeze is on a distinguished road

I really have to start collecting this series. Right now I'm put through the torture chamber Mondays at work because Farscape is only played at 1am Monday morning. If I'm up anywhere near that time, I'm watching at least some of it.

Where's the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka-boom!
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

It was a good show that had a hard time with its budget. Sci-Fi supported it here and there but some shows you can really see where the production values fell.

Overall the show was a great joy ride with a punk ending. I do hope they produce the mini-series or movies as they claim they are going to do.
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:35 PM

Corporal

Lord_Shleepy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheeze:
I really have to start collecting this series. Right now I'm put through the torture chamber Mondays at work because Farscape is only played at 1am Monday morning. If I'm up anywhere near that time, I'm watching at least some of it.
Doesn't the cheeze have a VCR? Tivo? Boss proof wristwatch tv with satellite reciever? (I personally favor the Last approach)
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kwok:
The answer to the topic is 'no'.
Now over a year old, the answer to the topic is still the same.

I never got into this series, a couple of neat ideas and some imaginitive stories - but not enough cool ships to keep me entertained.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Sergeant

Wydraz is on a distinguished road

Farscape used to be my favorite. It was indeed the best, edging out B5. After collecting all I was willing to of the Farscape DVDs (at some expense!), I took a risk and got the DVD of the entire series run of Firefly (of which I had only seen a couple of episodes) for the cost of one Farscape "collection" of four episodes.

Not only was it a great deal, I have changed my tune. Firefly is by far the best SciFi series I've ever seen. It saddens me to think such a good show can get canned by Fox as it did. But it wasn't lost on Universal studios - they're shooting the move Version, "Serenity".
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

a bit even more OT. Does anyone know if John Doe has been picked up again?. I swear I saw somewhere that it was returning in June, but everything I can find lists it as cancelled. I just saw the Last episode and want to know if there will be more. If its no more then "oh, well" and I assume the ad I saw just meant reruns from June. I would just like to know one way or the other.