.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 2. AI. Suggestions, that how to fix it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
I'm not sure about this, but anyway:

9)The AI builds too much temples
The AI could be in perpetual broke, explaining the cheap units and lack of forts, because a temple costs 200 gold and there could be better uses for the money.
Not that AI shouldn't build temples, it just seems to build too much of them.
Depends on the AI. Some AI's would be incredibly stupid not to build temples since its their big strong point. Also unless its changed in Dom2 not all AI's have to spend 200 for a temple. Some spent only 100 per temple.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:46 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
I'm not sure about this, but anyway:

9)The AI builds too much temples
The AI could be in perpetual broke, explaining the cheap units and lack of forts, because a temple costs 200 gold and there could be better uses for the money.
Not that AI shouldn't build temples, it just seems to build too much of them.
Depends on the AI. Some AI's would be incredibly stupid not to build temples since its their big strong point. Also unless its changed in Dom2 not all AI's have to spend 200 for a temple. Some spent only 100 per temple.
You're rigth, but i have only seen Carrion Pangaea and Man AI was quickly terminated by other AI's in my latest game.
OTOH i haven't seen Mictlan building temples, but since Mictlan's temples don't spread Dominion they don't realy need them.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:09 PM

BANNED USER

Particle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Aristoteles:
We have lot of problems with the strategic AI.

My list about the strat. AI problems:

1. The AI is massing weak troops
2. The AI wont protect his pretender/commanders/priests/mages
3. The AI wont build forts
4. The AI's battlefield tactics could be better
5. The AI is making very odd things. IE. wandering around with his pretender alone etc.
6. The AI won't stay in a province, it is always moving his armies.
7. The AI won't make complex strategic maneuvers. IE. Making a focused attack against a province.
8. The AI won't equip his supercombatants..at least I've never seen that in the demo.
Yup, I tend to agree with you on all points.
Maybe the 8. was a bit too early to mention, since the 40 turn limit demo is very short.
Well maybe not, I can fully equip a commander/pretender until turn 40...

[ November 02, 2003, 17:10: Message edited by: Particle ]
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:30 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road

my question concerning the strategic AI is this: If it is indeed as weak as ppl are claiming it is, then what happened between Dominions 1 and dominions 2? Granted the AI in Dom1 wasn't the "end all, be all" of AI, but it was decent enough, hell, it can still give me a very big run for my money....so, what happened between the 2 games?

Something had to have happened during the final stages of development, where the beta testers couldn't have caught it. If they were saying that the ai was great, but now, completely new guys are stomping it, then something had to happen towards the end, right?

It either has to be something to do with a late-stage development code change or data change somewhere....or, the ppl that are saying that they can wipe the virtual floor with the AI are either lying about it (NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING ANYONE IS LYING, THIS IS JUST A POSSIBLE OPTION!!!!!!!!)....or, they are setting the game up strange or something along those lines....

Now, if it is indeed something went wrong in the late stages of development, then possibly IW will be able to find it easy enough....and fix it of course....

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old November 2nd, 2003, 09:45 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

My own opinion is that the current games played with the demo are limited in time, so people tend to rush the AI with full strenght, supercombattants, you name it. But the AI isn't supposed to handle such situations well, hence easier victories. Multiplayer tactics are usually not liked by the AI.

However, there are other concerns that cannot be explained this way: like the problem with unguarded Pretenders for example. But it seems like this problem is more along the lines of "Pretender forgot to seek reinforcements". I am still waiting to see what will happen without the turn limit, if late game AI armies are featuring stronger units or not. If it is the latter, I will start to be worried.

I would like a confirmation: is Dominions AI cheating? I would tend to believe it is not the case. If so, Dominions AI is really not that bad, and is one of the few AIs that does not rely on extra resources to provide a challenge. And I will be then in the side of "The AI isn't that bad, really". Finally, if you do want additional challenge, you may very well give the AI units/abilities/items and so on like someone mentioned in another thread dedicated to the AI. (If you are reading me, I am sorry, I forgot your name. You shall be called henceforth the Anonymous Poster, if you don't mind that is. *Silly me*)

Edit: it was Nagot Gick Fel in this thread , about halfway down in the page. (At the moment of the writing that is)

[ November 02, 2003, 19:47: Message edited by: Alneyan ]
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:17 PM

BANNED USER

Zerger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by cpbeller:
my question concerning the strategic AI is this: If it is indeed as weak as ppl are claiming it is, then what happened between Dominions 1 and dominions 2? Granted the AI in Dom1 wasn't the "end all, be all" of AI, but it was decent enough, hell, it can still give me a very big run for my money....so, what happened between the 2 games?

Something had to have happened during the final stages of development, where the beta testers couldn't have caught it. If they were saying that the ai was great, but now, completely new guys are stomping it, then something had to happen towards the end, right?

It either has to be something to do with a late-stage development code change or data change somewhere....or, the ppl that are saying that they can wipe the virtual floor with the AI are either lying about it (NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING ANYONE IS LYING, THIS IS JUST A POSSIBLE OPTION!!!!!!!!)....or, they are setting the game up strange or something along those lines....

Now, if it is indeed something went wrong in the late stages of development, then possibly IW will be able to find it easy enough....and fix it of course....
cpbeller you are one of the most ignorant persons on these Boards. Frankly, I don't wanna hurt your feelings, but I am sure that you've seen this poll - http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...;f=74;t=000167

Maybe you've seen these parts of it:

What should IW improve in Dominions II.?
AI 65% (39)

What do you think about the Dominions II. AI?
Average 28% (17)
Below average 20% (12)
Poor 13% (8)

To answer your question: Yes propably these 40 Users were lying about the AI.

What happened with the AI? I remember that I've seen some infos on the first Doms2. Shrapnel site, that the AI will be very good.
You were right in one thing, something propably happened, since the AI is far from good.
There is a huge thread about this, so I won't argue about it.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, there is no reason to get hostile over this. It is just a game. Go take a walk and cool off or something.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:23 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road

ok,

1. I am not IGNORANT...I may be a lot of things...but ignorance is not one of them....

2. The purpose of my post was to say it was one of the 3 things....
1. late stage development gone wrong
2. game setups getting messed up
3. ppl are lying about their games....

Now, it would have to be an incredible conspiracy, if I was to actually think that 35-45 ppl were lying about the same thing....

If you re-read my post...you will see that I spent more time asking about the possibility of the late stage development going wrong, than the other ones....and if I was going to accuse someone of lying, I would just go ahead and accuse them, i don't need subtle shadow attacks on ppl to get my point across....

Now, as far as the ai goes....I have noticed that the AI isn't great either...at least not in the demo....i have seen some large armies, but again, most are weaker units....only a few have had tougher troops...

If i offended anyone because you think I said you were a lier....dear God, forgive me....that was not the point of the post....I can read the poll results...40 ppl saying that the ai needs work, well, that should raise a red flag.

at any rate....I can't seem to post anything without getting busted for something from ppl....

have fun

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:56 PM

BANNED USER

-Storm- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
40 ppl saying that the ai needs work, well, that should raise a red flag.
Period.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:29 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
my question concerning the strategic AI is this: If it is indeed as weak as ppl are claiming it is, then what happened between Dominions 1 and dominions 2? ...
How about: Between Doms 1 and Doms 2, some people got really good at Dominions?

How about a poll of players who are new to Dominions, about how much of a pushover the AI is for them?

Then, how about a list of games where expert human players have a hard time against the AI?

PvK