.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 15th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Dominions 2. AI. Suggestions, that how to fix it.

Hrm.

I play on Indep 7. Maybe if you play on lower indeps and you arn't up against a nearby force of 40+ more often than not, building other units might be more cost effective. (Lava Warriors for example)

Though my inital building strategy I usually keep the same for lower Indeps I would just take over more provinces quicker.
Old November 15th, 2003, 09:54 PM

Private

Prio is on a distinguished road

Sure LI routs kinda easy. That's what the priest in the back is for. :b
I'm prolly remembering this wrong, but don't additional attacks against a unit in the same combat round (after the first attack) have an increasingly high bonus to-hit? Stop me if my memory is failed (or if I'm being Captain Obvious).
Old November 16th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

LI is useful. Good for patrols and such. The AI should use them for patrols, but surely not in campaign armies.

The AI battlefield tactics must be improved too of course. But hey, the devs propably know about it, it is part of the AI weaknesses list.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old November 16th, 2003, 06:06 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

Nah, the AI must use light infantries, just in a different way. Example: LI for patrols is very good! They are also useful in battles, especially in the early game. [IF indep str is not too high.]

Later on [turn??] the AI must stop using the LI in battles, and they should be used for patrols ONLY.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:02 AM

BANNED USER

Particle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Mortifer:
Nah, the AI must use light infantries, just in a different way. Example: LI for patrols is very good! They are also useful in battles, especially in the early game. [IF indep str is not too high.]

Later on [turn??] the AI must stop using the LI in battles, and they should be used for patrols ONLY.
I agree. LI can be useful sometime.
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
There is a limitation that we are dealing with; as far as the AI as a whole. As you have repeatedly said "Should be" different themes regarding AI, they have said they will not be able to do so at least as far as this game is concerned.
I don't think that different AI themes could help at all. The core AI must be changed. We've posted lot of things, that what is wrong with the AI, I am totally sure that those things CAN BE upgraded.
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MStavros:
I don't think that different AI themes could help at all. The core AI must be changed. We've posted lot of things, that what is wrong with the AI, I am totally sure that those things CAN BE upgraded.
Well, along with other things, how its brought up has alot to do with whether or not it gets worked on.

As far as fixing the total AI I still havent heard suggestions that sound like they can be applied to the total AI. Most sound like player preferences for their method of play with the nations they prefer on the game settings they like. Unless we can come up with some formulas that can be play-tested against a "total AI" fix then the basic premise (that there is a problem) is still hanging. Much less a decision that it would be a good idea to fix it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 21st, 2003, 06:03 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
quote:
Originally posted by MStavros:
Well, along with other things, how its brought up has alot to do with whether or not it gets worked on.

As far as fixing the total AI I still havent heard suggestions that sound like they can be applied to the total AI. Most sound like player preferences for their method of play with the nations they prefer on the game settings they like. Unless we can come up with some formulas that can be play-tested against a "total AI" fix then the basic premise (that there is a problem) is still hanging. Much less a decision that it would be a good idea to fix it.

Hm, I guess we've mentioned all major AI problems here, so the devs can work on these things.
Oh one more thing. If you want to say anything -AI related, please post them here.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:29 PM

BANNED USER

Aristoteles is on a distinguished road

Lot of replies we had here, so I post the AI weaknesses list again. [With a little update.]

THE "AI WEAKNESSES" LIST:
1. The AI is massing weak troops
2. The AI won't protect his pretender/commanders/priests/mages
3. The AI won't build forts, maybe 1-2 max, but that is very rare as well.
4. The AI's battlefield tactics could be better
((Example: You can use a few units and put them to the front, the AI will attack them with full force more than likely. Usually the AI's own missile units will kill some or more of its melee units.))
5. The AI is making very odd things. IE. wandering around with his pretender alone from province to province ((the pretender is surely not doing anything, since it is moving in all turns. - and it is doing this in the border provinces! - the AI pretenders are all dead before turn 20-40 ususally.))
6. The AI won't stay in a province, it is always moving his armies.
7. The AI won't make complex strategic maneuvers. IE. Making a focused attack against a province.
8. The AI won't equip his supercombatants..at least I've never seen that in the demo.
9. The AI is building too many temples ((??????? This is good or bad, I cannot decide.))
10. The AI won't search for magical sites? ((I am not exactly sure, but I have never noticed, that the AI searched for magical sites.))
11. The AI won't use enough priests / it won't use priests to bless his troops in battle
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:54 PM

BANNED USER

Zerger is on a distinguished road

Hum this is new..the AI won't use enough priests? Are you sure about this?